Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282552 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1350 on: September 24, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
24/09/15 14 Months Day 435 Post Op

Thanks Scubagrl4 for your reply after yesterday stress and anxiety I had to endure, that you also unfortnate to have also experienced with you ongoing knee issues! I total agreement with you that waiting another 3 months is stretching out the invertible too long! I have an organised folder of all my previous right knee problems and treatments I went through since 2003 when I 1st started seeing an OS.

The OS at the time was coming to the end of his career as an OS who was South African. He was a great OS at the time as he knew over 12 years ago it was my plica causing me all the pain and discomfort despite having a negative MRI scan!

I had a chat with my sister who works in orthopaedics and she said that I should decline to have another cortisone injection as I only had one four months ago and so far have had 3 in total! This is too many that is not great for my knee. I also read a cortisone shot into the patella tendon puts it at a higher risk or rupturing!

I have come up with a number of options I could take being the knee veteran l know my knee best of all lol.

Option 1: What you have suggested to go to the scheduled appointment and raise my concerns with Prof Snow and I am not faulting him as if he cannot see anything on both my MRI scan and CT scan so can see why he still wants to remain on the conservative and safer side as a course treatment. I just do not want to pee him off! OS’s do not like to being told what they should do as he then could become reluctant to treat me if I think I know better then he does.

Option 2: Is to do what Prof Snow has suggested having an ultra sound to check the patella tendon. I would refuse to have another cortisone injection in such a small space of time gap. I then see him again earlier than 3 months. Who knows I might be lucky and have the ultra sound before the 14th October and then I will be firm and will have my mum backing me up! Mum’s know best and she upset herself as she can see I am struggling with my right knee at the moment. Her knees and hips are not in great condition and are not willing to send her to see an OS.

Option 3: The timing of my last MRI scan that I think was done in April so nearly 6 months ago now! A week after the MRI scan my right knee became worse as I felt the bottom of the kneecap give out followed by intense pain! I could not walk one step without feeling pain straight away until I had a cortisone injection. I did point this out to Prof Snow in clinic. I would be more than happy to pay for a private MRI scan! Fingers crossed it shows up something this time round, he would then have no other option left but to scope my right knee.

http://www.wicmri.com/mri-scans/private-mri-cost/

Above link is a good price @£225 would it be worth paying for or go straight for a 'diagnostic arthroscopy' saving me time and money? It is local to where I live and cheaper then I expected!

Option 4: Write out a formal polite letter to Mr Snow with the help of my sister who staying at my mum’s house this weekend saying I am not at all happy with the way my right knee is right now! I am limping around like an elderly person twice my age. Getting over taken by someone that is twice my age and struggle to do certain task in the kids autism group I help out at and cannot do certain gardening jobs.

Option 5: pre-op to scope #1 I was in a very similar situation that I finding myself in right know. The OS at the time is highly respected and very conservative with his methods of treatment and tries to avoid surgery if possible. What he did say in my medical report in 2009 to my GP was that he has suggested that I go ahead with a 'diagnostic arthroscopy.'

He clearly stated in his report that I am taking a risk and gamble as he might not find a problem once inside. What he also said was that even if he finds nothing wrong at least I then know that nothing else can be done to solve my right knee problems. I had to have my fat pad trimmed and medial plica removed so was worth taking a risk and gamble.

I had it all set out that Prof Snow could now see that he is running out of other option and to go with option 5 by doing a 'diagnostic arthroscopy' that would lower my anxiety and stress levels that are higher if you are autistic.

It might sound odd and daft that a prospect of a 3rd surgery does not faze me! I know my right knee best that is now worse off than it was pre-op to scope #1 & #2! Surgery is not something I enjoy going through, I just feel it  is the only way forward now to finally find out what going on with my on-going right knee problems.

Ideally would like to be booked in for at least a 'diagnostic arthroscopy' before the end of 2015 and not allow it to drag on into the New Year! I want to go into 2016 hopefully with a 3rd successful surgery and then get hope to get back again into long distance running? I am missing it tremendously as it important to me as an Aspie to be able to run again if I can? If the 3rd surgery is not a success or get told I can never do long distance running again then will admit defeat and accept my running days are over. 

Sorry to waffle on so much as you all know how frustrating it can be when we as patients that have a chronic knee condition often feel that we are not being taken seriously! I have the opportunity to go to a disability conference and workshop to improve the quality of life for adults and children with additional needs in Southern Ireland fully paid for flights and hotel.

I can help as having Asperger’s myself I can relate and give good advice plus they will help me get the opportunity publish my book about autism. From April 2016 to November 2018 I will need to travel to and from Ireland from Birmingham Airport to Dublin.

The last thing I want is missing out and not be able to go as I might then finally have knee surgery early in spring 2016 that would be disappoint me as I waited years for such a good opportunity.

I did get a letter from the hospital today in the post, I am booked in for Wednesday 30th December. No way can I wait that long, I might be damaging my right knee the longer it is left untreated the harder it is to get right again!

I have downloaded an app to downsize photos down to 700 pixels in order to be able them upload onto KG, my 1st photos in 12 years as a KG member. To say there is no swelling at all in my right knee is something I have to disagree with. To be fair took these photographs after I was gardening all day! Still it should not swell up this much if my right knee is supposedly meant to be healthy and ok according to my latest MRI scan?

I have been told by both physiotherapists and OS’s previously that my left knee tracking is worse off than my right knee! I do also get pain and discomfort in my left knee but not bad as my right that needs attention some ASAP.

Sorry for such a long winded post, it does help sharing our ups and downs on KG as we all understand what it feels like to live with our dodgy knees.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:46:04 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #1351 on: September 25, 2015, 04:02:54 AM »
I think it's good you are able to write down all of your options to sort it all out. I think it helps you make sense of it all. Now comes the tough part...making a decision. I think you will figure it out though :)
And I agree, your knee does look swollen.
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1352 on: September 25, 2015, 04:16:35 PM »
25/09/15 14 Months Day 436 Post Op

I had a restless night waking up and falling asleep wondering what should I do next that was made worse when my family gets involved saying do not have another surgery! Others are saying do what you want feel is best and if I am ok to have a 3rd scope then can should go ahead as I am the one with an on-going knee problems.

I am doing a Mentoring Level 2 course on a Friday morning and before I left I rang up the NHS appointments as I decided it best to cancel the 30th December appointment and to go to the 14th October appointment instead. I got through straight away and spoke to the same guy that never booked me in for Wednesday. He told me that the 14th October appointment has been cancelled and that Prof Snow fully booked up until the end of December.   

What I had in mind was to go and pay for a private MRI scan and then with the results see him again on Wednesday 14th October that has now been cancelled. I enquired at the MRI scanning centre if they can book me in for an MRI scan and told me I would need a referral from my GP or consultant. Will cost £225 if you pay on the day in full.

The Droitwich Spa Hospital is just around the corner from the MRI centre so limped over there overtaken as usual by a guy twice my age so knew I was doing the right thing. The Receptionist said would have to phone is secretary that I did and she said that the hospital should be the one booking me in but need her authorisation to be booked in. I then go back again and have been booked in for Tuesday 20th October @14:00. Why did the Receptionist not make the phone call for me as it would have been more speedy as she could have handed me over the phone to give the permission to go ahead.

Prof Snow Secretary was very professional and helpful as I was a bit round up during the phone call and she said she will make sure all my documents and transferred over to Droitwich Spa Hospital. I should not bother yet to have an MRI scan as I can discuss with Prof Snow on 20/10/15.

I am more relaxed now as I know I have done the right thing. I only painted one two fence panels this afternoon and my right knee swelled up again. Walking today was painful so know that something is not right inside my right knee! I do not have any negativity towards Prof Snow as he was over booked and under time pressure. Privately can have more time to chat to him and raise my concerns so we can come to a conclusion.

This is the best way not to annoy him as he will then see I am seriously concerned about my right knee that is clearly getting worse rather than better! I do have savings from my flat sale and living back with my mum. I am happy to use it to get my right knee problem sorted out hopefully. I have had enough now of the NHS as I would not get treated before the end of 2015.

I will still have the ultra sound on my patella tendon if it has not been cancelled now as I am going private. It has been a stressful 48hrs and managed to get it sorted out in the end so I do not end up overthinking about it during the weekend.

Thanks Scubagrl4 once again for your support, it does help when we go through rough times with our on-going knee problems to support one other. As you can clearly see I have made my decision already. Even slight swelling in the knee means the knee is not happy, to say it is not at all swollen is a bit naïve as there is some swelling at the bottom of my right knee that might be minimal that is clear to see in comparison to my left knee!

[email protected]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:08:41 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #1353 on: September 25, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »
Professor Snow should be able to do the ultrasound at the private appointment if he's the one who has ordered it, but be aware that you may well be charged extra for any tests or imaging done as I'm sure you know - as a ballpark, the last U/S I had on my shoulder was £95 on top of the appointment cost (I see the bills that go to my private insurer)

As you've had a CT, I'm not sure what else an MRI might show, so save your pennies for now on that one until you've discussed with Professor Snow

Good luck for your appointment
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #1354 on: September 25, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
Hi Nick,

I just wanted to say -- hang in there! I've been following your knee journey, & even though we have different knee issues, I am so familiar with the waiting, the stress, the disappointment, the pain, etc. I have had 12 knee surgeries up to this point, & am now sitting here with one failed knee, & one antibiotic spacer in other knee which is now failing also but at least the infection is gone.

I know you know you're not alone, but I thought I'd add another voice of support. I'm hoping you soon get some sort of answer, & some day will be able to run again!

Take care,
Phoebe
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:20:32 PM by MyKnee2010 »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #1355 on: September 26, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
nick sorry to hear it didnt go to plan....

my best suggestion would be maybe speak with professor snow again explaining all of your concerns or even in a letter via the secretary so then it is on record,,

or maybe like vickster said to get a private appointment and see what happens from there but remember keep your options open ..... =)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
09/10/15 14 Months Day 450 Post Op

Thanks once again for all previous posts, I wish I could give some more positive news that is not happening right now! I know that I have made the right decision to see Prof Snow earlier as my right knee is getting worse rather than staying in the same condition as has been the last couple of months. 

It is now starting to become a hindrance as I cannot walk too far anymore as my right knee flares up. I may have over walked it on Wednesday 2 miles that is something I should be able to do with ease coming up to age 37 in December. I now have got bruising on the kneecap and tibia and the bruising has even gone as far down along my shinbone!

There is increased swelling and discomfort at the bottom of my kneecap as I struggle doing gardening jobs as I keep feeling pain and discomfort at the bottom of my right kneecap. I am now getting annoyed and frustrated that my right knee has deteriorated so far! This is all down to having a negative MRI scan and an ok CT scan!

The only positive news I can share is that I have a confirmed date for my US guided cortisone injection funded by the NHS. Two days after my private consultation with Prof Snow on Thursday 22nd October @10:00. I did make it clear in my last post I did not want to have a cortisone injection again as I am worried it might make my right knee even worse!

It might now be worth going for the ultra sound as it said that I might need a cortisone injection and to rest and make sure you have someone to drive me home again. I have had 3 cortisone injections previously and never been told I must not drive a car for the rest of the day. I am concerned that if the injections is near to my patella tendon it might be at higher risk of rupturing!

I know the Dr that does US guided injection also did my Botox injection so knows what he is doing. Any ease in pain would be nice and will go ahead with my scheduled appointment for a possible US guided cortisone injection. My right knee has got to a stage that I am happy to try anything out if it helps to reduce any pain and discomfort.
nick sorry to hear it didnt go to plan....

my best suggestion would be maybe speak with professor snow again explaining all of your concerns or even in a letter via the secretary so then it is on record,,

or maybe like vickster said to get a private appointment and see what happens from there but remember keep your options open ..... =)

Lucha I have sent an email to Prof Snow Secretary last week Friday explaining that my right knee getting worse and feel that a diagnostic arthroscopy should be the next option. I also mentioned that I cannot find employment as a care support worker for children and young people with additional needs as my right knee is hindering my employment prospects. She replied within one hour saying she will pass my concerns onto Prof Snow and can discuss it further with him on 20/10/15.

Those that said my right knee problem is nothing to be concerned about have now changed their tone after showing them the photographs. It is clear to see that my right knee is not at all happy with the bruising, redness and the swelling around the bottom.

The photos were taken on Wednesday evening when I overdid it walking! I may have the swelling and bruising still when I see Prof Snow. If it is ok again I will show him the two photographs on my iPhone that the pain is for real and something is not right inside my right knee.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:16:08 PM by Clarkey »

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hey nick my best advice to you those photos you have taken or any videos of the issue with the knee take them to your next consult with mr snow, things cannot be contested if things are in black and white....
I think when it can be seen in black and white men of science cannot argue against it rather than ones description of a symptom where there is no evidence................
that is a good thing about the injections, i saw your post of my diary but as you know i didnt want to comment any further on my case =) thanks for the comment and i hope you managed to get an appointment with mr snow

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
I agree with lucha. Make sure you show him the picture. Something seems to be going on.
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
18/10/15 15 Months Day 459 Post Op

Today marks 15 months since I had my AIR surgery, I wish I could post in a more positive tone! It has now got to a stage where I am starting to feel very self-conscious of the way I am now limping around. What did not help was when an idiot passenger in a white van hurled verbal abuse at me as I walked past his van in stuck in heavy traffic because of the way I walked.

The incident has made me wearier and knocked my confidence levels, I was very close to losing my cool with the van passenger which is what he wanted to achieve.  I am usually very cool and placid in nature as I get verbal abuse and sometimes physically attacked at the young people’s autism groups, I know they did not mean it with their condition. 

Another drawback is I now struggle in the autism play group as my limping and slow walking is now very noticeable as I feel that I am a hindering the staff and service users.  It is now getting really frustrating and glad I have booked a private consultation with Prof Snow in less than 48hrs.

Before my pace was acceptable and just at a slower pace when walking with my friends and now they have to slow right down to my pace. The last couple of weeks my right knee gone from bad to worse. I know that something gone majorly wrong inside my right knee!

I no longer walk long distances anymore as I am finding it hard going for county walks with my friends going up the Malvern Hills that not far from Droitwich Spa where I live as I know the steep gradient would be a killer for my right knee to endure! My friends would have to slow right down and stop for more for breaks. 

I wanted to get back to running long distances again and now cannot walk long distances. You think it will never happen to you when reading other KG members never ending knee problems. At this stage I should be due for a diagnostic arthroscopy! Clearly something is not right with my right knee around the tibia and patella tendon! One cannot postpone it anymore with conservative therapy methods.

I will do one more post tomorrow of my latest report from the Registrar that has given muddling advice saying they are now reluctant to do surgery on my right knee when I am clearly worse off now than I was pre-op to scope 1 & 2! The report he did before mention doing surgery as the next option.

Thank you once again Lucha and Scubagrl4 for replying, I fully agree that they cannot argue with photographic evidence and need to make a final decision what to do next apart from trying to mask the knee pain with another cortisone injection that is not going to solve and fix my right knee problem.

[email protected]

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
Just in case I'm not up for posting for a few days, I want to wish you luck on your upcoming appointment. Surgery is scheduled for me tomorrow  :-\
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
19/10/15 15 Months Day 460 Post Op

Hi Scubagrl4, I hope your surgery went smoothly today and that it was a straight forward enough fix and no further surgery will be required! I am counting down the hours till my consultation that is now under 22hrs.

I was in Birmingham City Centre all morning until mid-afternoon sorting out a few personal issues that have long been overdue. Hopefully things will now progress for the better and that 2016 will be a life changing year for me and my family. 

It has now become part of my daily routine limping around looking at the brand newly opened New Street Station Grand Central. I manage to walk around slowly and stopped a few times for a coffee to rest my right knee. I made good use of the daysaver on the buses around the City Centre that I would never have done previously but have no other option now so I do not aggravate my right knee too much.

My latest report from my last rushed and flustered consultation on Wednesday 23rd September 2015.

Dear Dr ****

I reviewed this gentleman in clinic today with Mr Snow. He continues to have pain in the anterior part of the knee, especially around the patella tendon.

On examination he has full range of motion and the pain is around the distal pole of the patella and the patella tendon. It is slightly tender in this area.

On the previous MRI scan there is slight change in the proximal insertion of the patella. The CT scan shows close to normal results. Therefore we are reluctant to list Mr Clarke for any further surgery.

I have arranged an ultrasound scan of the patella tendon with possible steroid injection if there is tendonitis visible. I will review him in three months’ time to see how he is getting on after the injection.

Yours sincerely

Mr  *** ****

18/09/15 14 Months Day 427 Post Op

14 months post-op after AIR surgery and hope I am 3rd time lucky in 5 days when I finally get to see Prof Snow. Lucha, you are right that it a good that the hospital are making sure I am seeing the best! My right knee problems has not been a straight forward fix as originally planned.

It will be a big stress and release finally knowing what going to be happening next and no longer trying to guess? I am not going to let a bigger surgery than the previous two get me down after googling 'rotational osteotomy' kids under the age of 9 have had this procedure done think mainly because they have ’rotational deformity!

I will type out the report and as far as I can see and from what the Registrar told me that my CT scan came back looking ok but he was under time pressure!

Dear Dr ****

I have reviewed this gentleman in clinic today, with the results of the CT scan. His TT-TG on both sides is 13mm and there is approximately 37 degrees of external rotation of the distal tibia with respect to the proximal tibia on the right, and 42 degrees on the left.

I discussed possible treatments with rotational osteotomy, I explained all the pros and cons of the surgery, however I would like Professor Snow to consult the patient before listing him for further surgeries. I asked him to come back in four weeks’ time and we can decide about his further treatment.

Yours sincerely

Mr *** ****

I do know that 13mm is within normal range and nothing to worry about. What I am not so sure about is the 37 degrees of external rotation of the distal tibia with respect to the proximal tibia on the right, and 42 degrees on the left is something to look at as it matches with the term ‘rotational osteotomy’

Could the wrong angles cause excessive maltracking problems to such an extent that the a knee realignment surgery of rotational osteotomy is required! PT has not helped my PFS is at a chronic level that it now having a daily impact in my daily activities.

I am not a expert as I am only guessing what could be wrong! I would think an exploratory scope or a lateral release surgery would be a less drastic form of surgery that often not a successful surgery! I will not say anything or suggest to something else. I will leave it to the capable hands of experts to decide what happens next. Why did he say surgeries in his report that could well be a grammar error! It could be for hardware removal if the procedure in the report was to go ahead.

[email protected]

My latest clinical report does not mention 'osteotomy' or any other types of surgery! The latest report say they are reluctant to do any further surgery? If they struggled to walk and are limping around in pain and discomfort they would want to have something done about it.

It all very confusing as the delay and negative MRI scan and just about ok borderline CT scan have contributed to my right knee deteriorating during the last couple of weeks! I now fear the damage is already done!

I have a bad feeling my kneecap is starting to wear out with the signs I am getting with the pain and discomfort recently and hope it is not too late to get the knee right again?

[email protected]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:54:37 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
20/10/15 15 Months Day 461 Post Op

I have had my private consultation that went well unlike my last NHS consultation that was very rushed and felt I was a burden being there! Prof Snow examined my right knee properly this time round. He was surprised when he called me in for consultation how much more I was limping!

I was not pushy in any way and left it up to him what he decides to do next but made it very clear my right knee has become a lot worse during the last 6 weeks. What was spotted this time round that was not visible on 23/09/15 that there is now fluid at the bottom of the knee! 

What Prof Snow has suggested for now is to see how the US guided cortisone injection goes on Thursday. If the patella tendon does come back positive and have the cortisone injection then I will have PT afterwards and see how it goes.

If it goes the other way with a negative US with no signs of problems with my patella tendon and injection is not required then Prof Snow will ask for an MRI scan of the knee again on Friday when he next working for the NHS. I did say to him if a diagnostic arthroscopy would be a quicker option as I have had this done when I had scope #1.

I think now that there is fluid inside the knee as it was when I last had a positive scan is likely to come up again positive rather than negative this time round. It is a lot more painful now than it ever has been in the 12 years I have had on-going problems with my right knee.

I keep changing my mind like the weather! I am now hoping that my US of the patella tendon is negative with no injection necessary. I feel a cortisone injection and PT will not solve my right knee problem so easily.

What is a good thing in some way is that my right knee has changed and now has fluid inside that was not present previously. Is fluid a sign of scarring inside the knee or another bone oedema or maybe a cartilage tear possibly? Maybe a member that has also had fluid visible in the knee can advise what happened next to them to rectify the problem.

Next step Thursday morning US of the patella tendon at 10:00 with a possible cortisone injection or might decide to inject my own blood was mentioned today during consultation. Think something to do with the blood vessels?

At least today’s consultation has made Prof Snow decide to do another MRI scan as the last one was done in April and my right knee become a lot worse since then. I have always had 100% in his decisions and did mention to him doing an ‘osteotomy’ and said it the very last option he wants to take!

As expected my left knee is now starting to play up due to compensating my right knee injury, I am finally making progress into what sort of treatment to go for next.

[email protected]

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
hey clarkey im glad your consultation went well an i make a suggestion
it mgiht be an idea asking about a standing up mri there are few of them in the country i have spoken with some doctors in the past who say that sometimes when weight bearing pressures can be seen on the joint in these mris they are expensive and you can only get them done private......

http://www.mri-london.com/download-knee-powerpoint/

i am just giving you suggestions, also have you got a cryocuff to get down the swelling i have found when my knee gets swollen i use this to bring down the swelling =)

so now its a case of wait and see on the injections, but its good he is now seeing the swelling so it is telling him something is not right.......

Keep us posted =))

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
I'M glad to hear you at least you have a plan and that your assessment was better.
Your question about fluid. Mine swelled up pretty good around the time I think I retire my cartilage. They drained around 40ml out. Looking forward to hearing about your ultrasound results.
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.