Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282710 times)

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Funny,
Your appointment is a day after mine.
If I were you, I would probably call ahead and ask if you will actually be seeing him. I think as we have both learned, being proactive with AF is often necessary. Do you have all of your questions written down for him? I know you have put together quite a few since you have last seen him.
In terms of aftercare, have you shown or discussed some of the protocols for physio that are discussed on this website for us AF folks? With all I have heard about your PT this past time around, it does sound as though you did too much too soon. Another thought...what about managing your own rehab if you end up having surgery again? I'm not sure how comfortable you would be with this, but I would imagine PT on your own would be better than inappropriate PT. Or, just be sure to speak up....make sure the PT understands that your protocol is different...give them examples of the protocols listed here. I know it is difficult to speak your mind with healthcare providers, but at some point in time, I think we need to realize that it is the only way we can end up with positive results. I learned this the hard way too, but you can always refuse to do an exercise that you don't feel is appropriate.
Really though, I hope you don't need any of this stuff and that there is an easier fix for you besides more surgery.
Good luck on the 14th!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
06/01/15 5 Months Day 171 Post Op

Hi Scubagirl,

I tried to call the hospital appointments telephone number and could not get through as line was always busy and even tried calling Mr Snow’s Secretaries office and she was unavailable. The next option that I have done previously is to email the hospital appointments and complaints manager and explained my situation that my right knee is worse than it was pre op as I am more prone to excessive scarring!

She got back with an email within an hour and unfortunately looks like I will have to wait a bit longer until I can see Mr Snow in clinic as it says on the system that Mr Snow’s Registrar will be in clinic next week Wednesday 14th January.

In her email she said do you want to reschedule the appointment for a day when I can see Mr Snow in clinic and emailed her back to rearrange my appointment. It is a frustrating start to 2015 and hope the next available appointment is not too far away or will have to pay to see Mr Snow privately as I done previously when the wait was too long.

My patience is wearing thin now as it looks like I will be stuck with AF in my right knee for the rest of my life and long distance running will never happen again in my lifetime!

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
09/01/15 5 Months Day 174 Post Op

I have managed to reschedule my appointment that was originally at 10:30am Wednesday 14th January & it is now taking place on Wednesday 28th January 2015. This is a good thing as it was earlier then I was expecting as I do know that Mr Snow is in clinic that day after sending the an email that I copied as pasted partly!

The surgery I had done on my right knee on July 18th 2014 has made my knee worse rather than better! The surgery that I had is called 'anterior interval release' that I believe a surgical procedure to remove excessive amounts of scar tissue left from my 1st surgery.

I am more prone excessive scarring and feel that the private PT I saw overdid it too early on post op that aggregated my right knee that is now more swollen and sore at the bottom of the kneecap with intense pain and tightness when trying to kneel, squat and when trying to attempt to run it speed up my walking pace!

Dear Nick

I have changed your appointment to 28th January at 10.30.

When you do attend for your appointment please go to the reception desk staff that you only want to see Mr Snow.

I would normally be ok with seeing a registrar if my right kneecap recovering was going ok and knee pain and discomfort was improving!

I am more use to the pain but shouldn't be there and have noticed feel pain more going up the stairs and not too bad going back down.

Mr Snow may suggest more PT 1st and maybe seeing a pain doctor as well, I am not certain if they will be beneficial or not!

2 weeks longer is worth the wait and nothing wrong wanting to see the top OS if you have a long knee history of problems one is entitled to see the best.

[email protected]

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:40:10 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
Nick,
I am so glad you called the office.  That would have probably been a waste of time and caused more frustration for you if you would have gone through with the initial appointment.  I really hope Mr. Snow will have some good news for you when you see him.
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
16/01/15 5 Months Day 181 Post Op

Thanks once again Scubagirl for your support it means a lot to know me.

With the cold and damp weather the UK is experiencing right now I can certainly feel more pain in my right knee that is the norm after any type if knee surgery & not just AF.

I am 95% certain that my right knee is back to square one again as the pain is intense when trying to pick up my walking pace or attempting to run just one stride!

I never really been told how to measure my ROM and cannot get full range of motion compared to my left knee. Pain and tightness when I reach a certain angle! Tightness in the quads so could say build them up, I can't see it reducing the intense knee pain I am feeling at the bottom of my right kneecap!

Stairs I have to take it slower making sure I use my left leg 1st when going up the stairs and bad leg going down again!

A good way of remembering is going up heaven using my better left knee and when going down the steps hell on my bad right knee.

I cannot really force my knee past the intense pain as suggested by my PT pre-op as slight pain is acceptable! If you are experiencing intense pain then its best not to aggravate the knee even more.

I do feel a bit of a pain in the bum going in and out of the hospital and can't seem to get away from there as feels as if I am making a big deal out of nothing!

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:52:10 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
Nick,
I think we have to be a pain sometimes to manage this crappy condition. I just think it is so hard for other people to understand why we have to be so insistent on getting proper care.
I am so sorry to hear that your pain is worse. That is so frustrating!
I wonder too where your range of motion is at. I use an app on my smart phone to keep an eye on mine. I think it is about 5 degrees off from my P T's measurements, but still gives me a general idea.
How has the swelling been? Have you noticed any changes with that?
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
18/01/15 6 Months Day 183 Post Op

Six months since my AIR surgery and was hoping by now that I would start to see some slight improvements that not happened! I could say I got use to my limitation in my right knee celebrating my nephews 2nd birthday today cannot kneel so have to resort to sitting upright with my right leg stretched out fully with my left leg tucked into my thigh beside him is the best I can do.

Met my brothers brother-in-law that I not seen since my brothers and sister-in-laws wedding in October 2011 and back then I was fully fit and was able to run long distance and was at my peak back then! Then went all wrong in January 2013 when I slipped on black ice.

I can now agree as a sufferer of AF when I get told should have avoided having knee surgery altogether! I am inclined to agree with them now! At the time thought the surgery would be a success and not now facing to see Mr Snow again with my right knee worse off than it was before post-op scope #2. I cannot turn back time! What’s happened has happened and cannot be reversed!

Scubagirl I still having swelling at the bottom of right kneecap and where I experiencing the majority of the intense pain! Not long now until I see Mr Snow in clinic in less than 2 weeks time.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
23/01/15 6 Months Day 188 Post Op

Only 5 days left until I can finally see Mr Snow and not his Registrar like I did with my previous appointment, I would have seen him again if I did not check beforehand and now been assured that Mr Snow will be in clinic next week Wednesday.

My right knee is getting worse limping more and slower going up steps, it's hard knowing what to do next?

Another AIR surgery could make the knee even worse!

If you leave the knee untreated could end up wearing the kneecap with the excessive scarring inside my right knee!

I had a dream earlier this week that I was able to run once again pain free, when I wake up know I cannot achieve this the way my right knee feels right now!

I tried again today to try and speed up my walking pace or attempt to run and straight away intense pain at the bottom of my kneecap!

It is annoying that those that pre warned me to stay away from knee surgery were right and I was wrong, this annoys me more than having a chronic knee condition. I like to prove to people they are wrong and I was right.

I was made to push with PT far too soon post-op, instantly I felt my right knee getting worse that I know for sure has ruined my AIR surgery!

I am sure I will not be discharged and a further investigation needs to be carried out and if an 3rd MRI scan was to be done it would once again show significant bone bruising that could be a possible cartilage tear? that's more likely to be scarring inside the kneecap once again.

[email protected]

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
Nick,
Those dreams just suck don't they? I have similar ones quite often. It is so hard to wake up and not be grumpy when you hit the realization of how things really are.
Your questioning what to do about surgery...that is a tough one. With this stupid AF, there really is no looking into the future. There is no way to know how things will turn out in the end. I think if you were pain free, the answer would be a little easier....I would probably say leave it alone. But I agree that it is really scary to let that scar tissue build up on the patellar tendon. That seems to be the area where it can be the most destructive when you are looking at long term damage.
I know I can't help you, but I can tell you I'm sorry that you have to go through this again. I am wishing you the best of luck in your upcoming appointment.
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Good luck with your appointment today, Nick - I hope that Mr. Snow is able to give you some answers on why your knee is still so painful and what you might be able to do to improve the situation. Are you having any kind of physio currently to help with the limitations, or are you waiting until after you see Mr. Snow?
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
28/01/15 6 Months Day 193 Post Op

My consultation with Mr Snow went well after waiting 1 hour after my initial appointment time of 10:30am he was delayed by 45 minutes and was just before 11:30 when I was called in. At first was a little apprehensive as I could not see Mr Snow and could only see his Registrar that I saw previously and went with him to be accessed! I did say to him is Mr Snow in clinic today and said yes he is in the next room.

I did not want to make a fuss and explained my symptoms and limitation and thankfully he was upfront with me as said he going to discuss my knee problems with Mr Snow. I was left alone in the room for around 10 minutes that was a good sign that they spending more time discussing my knee issues as other patients went in and out their consultations fairy swiftly.

I was hoping that Mr Snow would come in with his Registrar and was right, he quickly assessed my right knee and thinks there could be an issue with the ‘Edema’ is what he mentioned and will have a MRI scan done within the next 6 weeks to see how healthy my right knee is inside.

I think he was not too impressed that my private PT made me work our 6 weeks post op for 1 and an half hour at the gym and said it was too early what he made me do during my PT session! I did not want him to feel bad that my right knee is worse off post op than it was pre op.

I am happy with what he going to be doing next and seeing him for the results and could go 50/50 surgery or have to live with my right knee as it is. I am glad he did not suggest going to the gym and seeing a PT at the hospital that was what I thought he might do next.

It very much Déjà Vu as this time last year Mr Snow suggested to have an MRI scan and then spotted intense bone bruising with a possible microfracture surgery procedure that turned out to be scar tissue.

I have got use to set backs in my life so taking it ok as I know I am in good hand as he he on the OS's that see young adult patients, I am glad I waited for 2 weeks longer to see Mr Snow.

I had some idea what he was talking about the bone inside the knee and googled about edema of the knee and came up with the following link.

http://www.howardluksmd.com/orthopedic-social-media/bone-marrow-edema-knee/

Fluid in the bone could be the cause of the knee pain at the bottom of my kneecap. IF it is bone marrow edema is this a sign of wear and tear and arthritis of the right knee! If it is I cannot do much about it that can happen to younger patients. I will be glad to know what I am dealing with and what the future holds after my MRI scan.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:41:22 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
30/01/15 6 Months Day 195 Post Op

I am starting now to get use to my knee problem and setbacks that’s now becoming normality. I have now kind of got use to having knee problems that's been going on for a while now, one can clearly see  this when reading back up on my post op diary.

I did not think my knee problems would continue after having scope#1 and was very positive before having scope#2 that has ended up making my right knee worse than it was pre-op. This is nothing to do with the way the surgery was done it's the aftercare that been the big letdown.

I am annoyed with myself now that I made the decision by seeing a completly new PT that I never received any treatment or advice from previously. My regular and well trusted sports PT is mostly abroad who was only seeing me as a favour as he does not really practice PT anymore apart from the rugby club he helps out at as a rugby coach/PT.

I am certain since having that PT session for one and a half hours that it has ruined my AIR surgery! I did a similar thing after scope #1 when I was made to come into work 2 weeks post op by my manager even though I had a sick note from my GP saying my knee is not yet ready for manual labour.

Back then in December 2007 I was not as strong minded by allowing my boss to walk all over me and bully me into going back into work again full time too soon after my surgery. He took advantage at the time of my Asperger’s as I did not stand up to him as was afraid I would lose my job at the time.

I now realise that I could have sued as he might have been the one that started my AF formation as he got me to do some heavy manual labour even though I said to him need to be doing light duties. Too late now and one cannot turn back time! I have just been unlucky on both post op scopes.

If my 4th MRI scan turns up with a problem that can be eased by going through a 3rd scope? I will make sure I get the aftercare post op I deserve and not jeopardise my surgery again!

I will start to post monthly rather than on a weekly basis or when something important happens that I can share so will be going back to posting on the 18th day of each month again. This will help to get my mind away from my ongoing knee problems.

I might sound as if I am mad I still hoping to get back to long distance running despite the setbacks will not yet admit defeat!

Some say to me that I must be crazy to continue to push on an already not so happy right knee even more as I am then asking for trouble in the future by wearing out my right knee at a young age. Sorry if my post comes across negatively!

[email protected]

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
I am glad that you were able to see mr. Snow. I hope the MRI will give you some much needed answers. I'm just sorry that you are still going through all of this. I hope your wait for the MRI doesn't feel too long. Hang in there!
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1303 on: February 12, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
12/02/15 6 Months Day 208 Post Op

Thanks once again for your support Scubagirl and forgot to also thank Snowy for her good luck post before I saw Mr Snow on 28th January. I am still not had a letter for my MRI scan and hope I get the letter through the post next week at some point with a date and time.

Not much change at the moment with my right kneecap still painful when kneeling and squatting with tightness still etc as discussed numerous times after scope#2. I am starting to get sharp shooting pain in my right hip again, that I expect its due to the way I am walking with a limp it putting more stain on my right hip and at times left knee.

I have just exchanged contract of sale of my flat I owned for nearly 8 years today. I now have some cash that's all my life savings that will go towards my next apartment in Droitwich Spa in Worcestershire. I will be using some of the money for now till I finished my studies in July 2015. I then plan to hopefully sort out some legal issues and then look for full time employment in September 2015.

I now have the qualifications to look after and care for children and young adults with autism and other types of additional needs and distress behavior patterns. I am speculating if I should use some of my savings to have my right knee treated privately if I did need to have a 3rd scope as I am then more likely to get the aftercare I deserve that the NHS would not provide.

To save money if a 3rd exploratory scope was required could use the NHS to have the actual surgery and then pay privately for the aftercare. Or is it better have the surgery and post op care done privatly if surgery was the next option after my MRI scan results.

Or should I not be taking out some of my money that are my life savings that will be a deposit when I buy my next property once I am working again full time that I managed to do for almost 13 years full time form 1999 to 2012 till I was bullied out of work.

Will wait and see what Mr Snow suggests when I see him after my MRI scan for the results, he may not suggest a 3rd scope! I cannot think what else he could do as the pain is worse in my right knee than it was pre-op to scope #2!

[email protected]

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1304 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:27 AM »
Here's a possible alternate thought. It sounds to me like you have a great deal of trust and respect for Mr. Snow, and I've never heard you express any concerns over his recommendations or his surgical choices, so if you do need another surgery it probably makes sense for him to be the one to do it. A new surgeon would be a bit of a lottery whether it was NHS or private.

However, where it might be worth investing some of your money is in surgical aftercare since this is where you really feel that you were let down last time. If you do need another surgery, make sure you find a physio who understands AF and the different approach it requires to rehab ahead of the surgery, and pay for a few months of regular treatment with them. That would be well worth paying for to avoid the same kind of outcome you've had this time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:51:02 AM by Snowy »
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA