Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282721 times)

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1275 on: November 09, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »
Nick,
I am so sorry to hear that you don't think you will be able to return to the sport that you love. It really does create a big sense of loss doesn't it? I've been dealing with the same thing. I was initially injured playing volleyball...I have played all of my life and was still playing 4 nights a week when I got hurt. I have been told several times since the injury that I need to have realistic expectations and this includes giving up on volleyball. Along with missing the game, I miss the social aspect of it too...oh, and the stress relief it provided.
I wish I could tell you that I knew the secret to dealing with this sense of loss...I have not completely figured it out yet. I can tell you that I've been looking into other sports that I can try and am trying to focus on that for now. I'm actually thinking of taking up golf next summer  :P
Have you thought about looking into some other activities you can do? It does sound like running is a big outlet for you to relieve stress. I know it isn't the same, but how about weight lifting, bike riding, or swimming?
When I start feeling down about this stuff, I also remind myself that I am fortunate that my injury isn't worse. I used to take care of patients with spinal cord injuries and they couldn't even breathe on their own, and yet they were strong enough to shift their focus towards what is really important in their lives....friends and family. I know it can be really annoying to hear that it could be worse (that comment annoys me actually as it's usually coming from someone completely healthy), but I do think there is a lesson to be learned from these patients. Maybe this is a good time to focus on what is truly important in life...like spending time with your nephews. And also consider that maybe this injury will influence you to try some new activities that you might enjoy almost as much as running.
I am sorry though...I know none of this is a complete fix for what you are going through. I really hope you find some new activity that you love.
(((Hugs)))
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #1276 on: November 13, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
Hi Nick-

I don't think you have to give up on ever being active yet.  Don't dwell on what you could have done differently after the last surgery, but look where you are at now and figure out what you need to do next.

Unfortunately with some rare complications such as arthrofibrosis, the patient almost has to treat themselves and direct their own rehab. Even with perfectly following the arthrofibrosis rehab protocols and limiting activities, early patella mobilizations and scar tissue massage, there is no guarantee of a perfect outcome. Many have been perfect patients, but the scar tissue has still returned. If scar tissue is back by your medial portal, it will be most likely have matured past the early stages when you could try to resolve it on your own. Has your physio returned yet and can he evaluate your knee and see if he agrees that it is scar tissue? If he is not back, can he recommend someone to help? Some have been helped with a steroid injection into scar tissue in knee and then mobilization exercises and deep tissue massage at PT. Using therapeutic ultrasound on the scar tissue along with deep PT massage and mobilizations can sometimes stretch out scar tissue. I have had success breaking up mature scar tissue seeing a chiropractor that used Graston and A.R.T. Therapies on my leg.  I have not seen you writing of increased inflammation, heat or redness in your knee. If you do have these signs, I would not recommend Graston since it is a physically brutal treatment that could increase inflammation. I know at least one poster uses Astym which is a gentler treatment similar to Graston.

Good luck.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #1277 on: November 14, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »
14/11/14 3 Months Day 119 Post Op

Thanks for all the replies about what I need to take into consideration in the future about if I have to come to terms that I may not be able to run again! I am still at the same stages as last week and notice that the left knee is also painful at times that I expect is due to the right knee not healing properly yet that it is compensating with more strain onto my left knee. I do know I have maltracking more in left knee more then my right and always had pain on and off inside my left knee.

The right knee is more sensitive to pain and can feel it more after a longer walks or when I have been on my feet for a couple of hours! I can manage and adapt the way my knees are at the moment, never know it might start improving slightly.

Nettan, Nice to see that you are still active on KG and that you have been following my post op diary and are right that you have to accept by coming to terms and accepting that I have a chronic knee condition as I could be a lot worse off physically! Thankfully my knee condition is not too serious that I would require a TKR.

Scubagirl, With 1st hands on experience dealing and managing with AF and have also had AIR surgery you know how hard it can be at terms to deal with AF not returning again post op. I am sorry that your lifestyle is also limited that's never easy to accept when you are told you can no longer take part in physical related activities involving others.

I really miss the social side of the Running Club in the small English spa town of Droitwich Spa in Worcestershire  that I was an active  member for less then 6 months. We often had drinks after a run or activities within the club with the members and their families. I do not know the club well enough to join as a social member and could help out at events and marathons to represent the club.

I just feel I am no longer a valued member as I never had the opportunity to show my talent of running at a long distance at a good steady pace. I was on of the top runners for the club and finding it hard to accept I might not be able to run again for the rest of my life!

Golfing is a good way to get exercise and also make new friends socially and walk a fair long distance around 18 holes. Swimming and cycling is something I would like to get into more. I was also good at cycling when I was a kid and in my teens.

I only really started to get into swimming since my fall on black ice in January 2013 and have a good time when I take a 12 year old boy with ADHD swimming and his older brother with Asperger syndrome and other mental related conditions that at times can be hard work and challenging. I do not mind it as they are not misbehaving on purpose, I do find that the male changing rooms can be a good place to chat about any problems they are going through.

Kristin, I can see where you are coming from not to give up just yet going back into long distance running again. I could have Graston and A.R.T. Therapies to break up any scar tissue around the medial portal. The only problem is will it work or not as you cannot get it through the NHS at the moment so have to pay privately for any treatment. I am unemployed at the moment so cannot afford to go private as it not a guarantee that it is going to be beneficial or not to break down any scar tissue.

I have googled my nearest local physiotherapist that does Graston and A.R.T. Therapies and one is located on the same road as my family home I lived in for 18 years.

I have copied and pasted the link that costly as it is private.

http://www.harbornechiropractic.co.uk/expect.asp

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1278 on: November 18, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »
18/11/14 4 Months Day 123 Post Op

4 months post op already and now back to the same stage as I was pre op with the same type of pain at the bottom of my right knee if I try to speed up my walking pace. I know it too early to start running again that I know will not be possible to achieve the way my right knee is right now!

I still have the same amount of swelling again as I did pre op at the bottom of my right knee, kneeling and squatting is not at all possible. There is too much pressure around the bottom of my knee as if someone is pressing against my kneecap with brute force!

I was really hopefully and ready for the surgery#2 in the hope it would be a success rather than a failure. What started as a routine exploratory scope#1 for removal of the medial plica and fat pad trimming has now led to a chronic knee condition that I did not think would happen so soon in my lifetime.

May be some small hope still that now looks unlikely to happen in the future, I may well have to accept defeat and learn to adapt and live with a right chronic knee condition that I am now slowly coming to terms with more!

[email protected]

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1279 on: November 21, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »
21/11/14 4 Months Day 126 Post Op

With my 2nd exploratory scope on my right knee in 4 years it slipped my mind that on Sunday 16th November 2014 was my 1st exploratory scope#1 to remove the medial plica and fat pad trimming back in 2009. It's of no relevance anymore to talk about scope#1 as it has caused me to go through scope#2 to remove the excessive scar tissue from scope#1 by having to go through AIR knee surgery.

I could be a lot worse off pain and mobility wise so thankful that it is not a lot worse than it could have been. Just notice it when I try to increase my walking pace and kneeling and squatting with intense pain around the medial portal that feels tight and heavy as if someone is exerting their full strength onto my kneecap.

I almost certain scar tissue has returned with revenge as unfortunately the pain feels more intense then it did pre op. I am fully aware I am at the early stages still post op as scope#1 took 18 months to get over but the pain was not as intense as it is now. 

Never mind could be a lot worse off and may well have to accept that my right knee is going to be a long term chronic knee condition when I turn 36 on December 2nd 2014. I will not lie by saying I will miss not be able to compete in long distance running that I will miss greatly!

[email protected]

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1280 on: November 22, 2014, 04:27:47 AM »
That is such a bummer Nick,
Have you been able to see your doctor about all of this? I'm curious what he has to say.
All I can tell you is to try not to give up.
I was talking to my PT today, and he told me about a patient who was battling AF for four years, and the inflammation and redness went away as quickly as it came on. He is now working with avalanche prevention skiing the backcountry.
I figure if this guy can do that, we can get our lives back too. We just need to find a way to keep moving forward and doing our best to fight this terrible problem.
I hope you feel better soon
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1281 on: November 28, 2014, 03:40:38 PM »
28/11/14 4 Months Day 133 Post Op

Thanks for your concern Scubagirl, as know from your own personal setbacks with your ongoing knee problems how much it can make you feel down at times. You have also highlighted that there may still be light at the end of the tunnel and can defeat AF.

I will not lie and will be truthful that I do really miss competing at the running club as it not just to keep myself fit. I also was getting to know the members well in a small friendly English Spa Town called Droitwich in Worcestershire that sandwiched between Birmingham City Centre and Worcester City Centre with it famous cathedral.

I was getting to know the outskirts of Droitwich by jogging around the Town and its outskirts and sometimes after a run the members would meet up for drink and a bite to eat that was the social side of being a club member.

Now I more self conscious about my right knee and feel ashamed now to walk past the members and only know about a quarter of the members as many new members have joined since my injury that's coming up to two years in January that feels more like 8 years!

The person that leads the runs did not show any empathy when I had my knee injury giving me the cold shoulder as I am sure he thought I was exaggerating my knee injury! I was not in the end with so much scar tissue in the knee that there was a good reason why I was unable to run.

Funny how peopleís attitude can change when you were one of the running clubs best long distance runners. Then sustain an injury and turn their backs and no longer get treated with respect, or can at least say sorry that you have injured your knee and hope you can sort it out and join us again.

There was one member that was nice towards me who does support work so can relate well to peoples emotional feelings into a positive way to make that individual feel more appreciated and valued. Who knows may still be able to rejoin again?

My right knee remains unchanged with pain and swelling still at the bottom of the kneecap with the main intense pain around the medial portal. I do have a higher pain tolerance and even if I try to run through the pain physically unable to gain any pace, so is a waste of time attempting to start to do some light jogging.

I am sorry to come across in such a negative way just had high expectations when I went into theatre saying the exploratory scope is worth having done as I be back to running again by Spring 2015.

[email protected]

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1282 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:09 AM »
I completely understand your frustration Nick,
It is very hard to watch others around you continue on and move forward with their fun (sports, nights out, etc.), while it seems that we are stuck in quicksand never moving forward, it seems like the same thing everyday. Get up in the morning with the hope that today will be the day that the knee starts to show signs of improvement, do some stretching, several thousand straight leg raises (at least it feels like that many), and then going to bed disappointed because today was not the day where the knee would show a glimmer of improvement. Then repeat the next day as you realize that months have gone by and very little has changed.
It is incredibly frustrating.
I think it was on my post that you explained about your desire to avoid your running club members the other day while you were swimming. It's funny because I just had a similar conversation with my boyfriend. I asked him to pick up food from our favorite restaurant instead of going out because I was too embarrassed to have the owner and other workers see that I was back on crutches again (for the 5th time). It's so silly to have that type of reaction, but at the same time, so hard to try to explain to others why our bodies refuse to heal like everyone else's. Maybe it's part of the competitive nature in us too. I don't know about you, but I've always been able to overcome all of my other injuries very quickly through tons of hard work....I was always amazing at physical therapy :) So, I suppose it's normal to feel like a failure, and to feel embarrassed over the inability to succeed in healing this time around.
I am glad to hear that at least one member from your running club still makes an effort to make you feel valued despite the fact that you can't currently join them. I would guess the reaction from the others is because of a few things 1) they don't know what to say, so they say nothing 2) they want to create a separation from you because they fear that they can be vulnerable to an injury like yours...it's scary, so they avoid the thought of it (which means talking about it with you). 3) they kind of enjoy that there is slightly less competition for them with you out of the group (subconsciously).  No matter what the reason is though  it is a very miserable experience, and difficult as an athlete to find a replacement for what was a huge part of our identities.
So, I guess no positive words of wisdom to share here either...just understanding, especially when goals and expectations pass by us unaccomplished.
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1283 on: December 05, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »
05/12/14 4 Months Day 140 Post Op

Thank you once again for your reply Scubagirl, I am sorry that you also feel ashamed to show yourself at the restaurant that I can fully understand as you feel embarrassed about walking around on crutches. I am certain and sure the staff in the restaurant would love to see you again and will not be phased or bothered to see you are still using crutches.

I know it personal pride as you sound a lot like me as you was also once extremely physical active and ultra competitive in the sports we once could participate in and now unable to compete.

My AF is not too crippling just a hindrance as I find I can walk at an ok walking pace that has slowed considerable since scope#2. Also struggle to kneel and squat as straight away can feel pressure, pain and tightness and feel juts tightness in quads and ITB that are also causing problems! It right inside the knee that I expecting to be scar tissue formation! The knee also still gives out at times but not as intense as the early stages post op up it more of a jolt now.

I have been looking with great interest at the website arthrofibrosis.com that has in depth detail about AF that is extremely helpful if you have just has AIR surgery and are just starting your post op PT program.

I have already spotted that Mr Snow my OS that did the AIR surgery on my knee is listed on the website as one of the specialist OSís that deals with AF to see if you are prone to excessive scar tissue build up. As I said before I fully trust him and will stick to seeing Mr Snow and will carry on using him if any further surgery or treatment was required in the future. He shown to me he does care for his patients that a lot other OSís do not offer.

http://arthrofibrosis.com/

My next appointment with Mr Snow is not too far away now on Wednesday 14th January 2015 and will only want to see him and even though I am 36 years old my mum will come with me. We are both unhappy with the aftercare I received from the NHS that we all know are on a very tight budget with so many cutbacks.

When I left the Pre op day clinic the nurse had no idea what type of surgery I had and only by chance Mr Snow kindly came out of surgery and told me briefly what he had done and was of course still under the influence of the GA. I did hear scar tissue and something release surgery and never knew that patella mobilisation and deep friction massage therapy will help stop scar tissue from forming until I saw Mr Snow for my 1st post op check up and then mentioned what I should have been doing.   

My mum and I will tactfully point out that the aftercare and guidance was to a poor standard and may have cost the NHS more money by not giving me the proper aftercare required after AIR surgery that may have prevented AF from returning?

Nothing else I can do right now until I see Mr Snow again in January, it is just frustrating more than anything else as I walked into the theatre prep room with confidence that the surgery is worth it and woukd be back again running again by spring 2015.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1284 on: December 12, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
12/12/14 4 Months Day 146 Post Op

Not sure what to do next at the start of the New Year in just under 3 weeks time with my 3rd post op appointment coming up on Wednesday 14th January 2015. I will give the hospital a call on Friday 2nd January to double check that I will be seeing Mr Snow this time at the hospital rather than his Registrar as I ideally would like to be seeing him as my right is now worse off than it was pre op.

The main pain and swelling is still around the bottom of my kneecap with the intense area of pain is specifically around the medial portal. I cannot think what else it can be but scar tissue build up again as I now know I am more prone to scarring as I had to have AIR surgery.

I am not too sure how scar tissue feels in consistency as the upper portal just above the kneecap as I have 3 in total. The portal feels hard in when touching the top of the portal, thatís not causing me any pain or discomfort.

I would say my knee pain level is moderate as only really feel the pain more when trying to kneel and squat or try to increase my walking pace or attempt to run! According to Mr Snowís Registrar as I am coming up to 5 months post up I should be able to do some light short distance jogging.

The pain is too intense straight away if I try to speed up and can walk a certain pace. I have been told it could take a lot longer to recover. So far I have not yet seen any slight improvements with my right knee remaining the same the last couple of weeks.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1285 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
18/12/14 5 Months Day 152 Post Op

5 months post op today and have now got use to the way my right knee is restricting me and can still feel tightness and pressure with limitation into ROM!

I have good and bad knee days and will do a more in depth update tomorrow.

Been a stressful, sad and hectic day attending my aunts funeral in Salisbury who lived to a decent age of aged 86 and was stuck for nearly two hours in a traffic jam on way back home!

[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:12:55 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1286 on: December 19, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »
19/12/14 5 Months Day 153 Post Op

5 months post op stage and so far not feeling any benefits yet from having the AIR surgery that originally looked on the MRI scan that I had damaged my meniscus and might need a mircofracture surgery as there was significant bone bruising inside my right knee.

My flexibility is more restrictive in my right knee and continuing to feel pressure and pain around the medial portal that is made clear when I am trying to kneel and squat. I have now got use to walking with a limp that others can pick up on that I am only aware of if I try to speed up my pace. then my limping becomes more obvious.

It does annoy me slightly when others in my family and acquaintances compare their knee problems to my knee saying I also have a bad knee and manage ok with it and cannot be that bad! I do not mean to but can be at times a bit snappy about it, so do try my best not to do this!

It's unfair and biased to compare one persons knee problem to the next person as each individual knee problems will have a different impact and restriction to the next person with a dodgy knee.

It like when others compare me with someone they know with Asperger syndrome thinking we all act the same! Each individualís autism affects them in different ways with some being more withdrawn, while others are my sociable is one example of many.

I cannot say that I regret having both scopes done as at the time it felt the right thing to be doing and the only option left, I accept what has happened that might never be reversed again.

There are some good OSís out there that will do surgery as a last option, while others can act too quickly that recently happened to my brother-in-law who had bad knee pain for several weeks went to see an OS saying he needs to have knee surgery and declined the surgery as he knew what I had to endure!

His knee is now ok again and is pain free again that should be happening less on the NHS with cut backs to make someone go through unnecessary surgery!

[email protected]

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1287 on: December 24, 2014, 04:14:15 AM »
Nick,
I think we are going through the same things these days. I completely understand your frustration with others lacking the understanding of what it feels like to deal with AF. I think it seems amplified right now too with the holidays being here..more social events are required.  I am constantly compared to people having knee replacements, and they always point out that a TKA is a bigger surgery, and they don't understand how someone 40 years older than me is recovering better than I am. I used to try to explain that and also why having a total knee won't fix the problem either....now I have given up on trying. I just tell people I don't know.
I'm sorry that you are struggling with this too. I made a rare trip to the grocery store today to pick up a few gift cards for my family and some lady was getting kind of huffy and pushing the shopping cart closer and closer to my heels. I finally got annoyed and turned around and apologized for limping and slowing her down. She was completely surprised that I addressed her rudeness and then apologized....I thought you would find this story slightly entertaining. Who knows, maybe it made her stop for a minute and realize how lucky she was to be whipping around the store like a mad woman.  ;D
I know these knee injuries make you feel like nobody understands....I just wanted to stop by and remind you that you are not completely alone....I get it, many of us here get it. Big hugs are being sent your way all the way from the U.S.
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
biopsies.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1288 on: December 26, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »
26/12/14 5 Months Day 160 Post Op

Thanks for the words of encouragement Scubagirl and are so right that we are not alone with our knee problems with others not being very understanding as they comparing there knee problems with ours!

Everyone I know in my family and friends over 35 all complain that at times their knees ache and that it just a sign or gradual wear and tear of the joints as you not youthful anymore and suppose it common sense to work out that as you reach your 30s you reached your prime in sporting ability and slow down in pace slightly.

Then will compare our knee problems with theirs and as we both know AF is a different kettle of fish altogether compared to other more common knee problems such as torn ligaments and cartilage problems!

I could have my left knee looked at and investigated further if I wanted to as it does at times hurt more then my right knee and even Mr Snow spotted that left knee is maltracking more hence the knee pain and can cope and manage my left knee issue that might be the same for those that are comparing my AF in my right knee with their knee niggles and pain!

I admit that my mobility is ok as I am fairly flexible and can do most activities apart from running, jogging, kneeling and squatting! My walking pace is reasonable but not as quick as as I was post-op and can do manual labour jobs just have to kneel on my left knee and that's why I then feel more pain in my left than my right as I putting more strain onto my left with most of my body weight!

Roll on 2015 and can put 2014 behind us and hope this time next year we both see improvement with our knee problems.

Happy New Year to everyone on KG.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
02/01/15 5 Months Day 167 Post Op

Not too long now until I get to hopefully see Mr Snow and not his Registrar that I sure is good at his job or would not be working as an OS under Mr Snow, he just lacks the experience and wisdom that Mr Snow would offer me.

Wednesday 14th January is my actual day of my appointment at 10:40am that now less than 12 days away; would it be a good idea to call Mr Snowís Secretary Monday morning to find out if Mr Snow is in Clinic that day or not? I do not want to come across as by too fussy and picky!

I suppose with my knee history and present condition of my right knee that I have the rights to see Mr Snow, my mum is coming with me this time as I usually do not take any family members to a consultation.

We both feel that the aftercare given to me after my AIR surgery was poorly managed as the nurse that was looking after me pre op and post op could not tell me what procedure I had done and even admitted that she never come across the surgical procedure AIR! She could have read out what was written down on my surgical notes. To top it off the NHS PT thought I had LR surgery 3 weeks post op!

I do feel bad as I always seem to be complaining about the poor services with the NHS with the lacking of communicational skills. I cannot fault Mr Snow and his theatre staff and the nurses in the day care ward.

I then decided it best to see a private PT rather than NHS  that I never used before has over 25 years experience, I am fully aware that PT's make you work out hard enduring lots of pain during PT! To make me do gym work for over 1 and a half hours and legs lifts on the couch was too extreme less than 6 weeks post op. Gradual progress is better with small steps as each week passes.

I was in great pain and discomfort after the PT as my right knee gave out big time with extreme pain that was no where near as bad before I saw the PT!

Sorry to start my 1st post op post of 2015 in a rather negative tone, I am just annoyed the aftercare and lack of knowledge and understanding towards aftercare of a patient that's more prone with a higher risk getting AF again.

[email protected]