Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 282768 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1245 on: September 28, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
28/09/14 Day 72 Post Op

If I knew I was more prone to excessive scar tissue build up pre op on scope#1 then I might have been better off no having had the surgery done as it led to AIR surgery during scope#2

I do admit to overdoing it after having my medial plica excision and fat pad trim. It did not help being made to go back to a manual labour job with a sick note from my GP 2 weeks post op when the damage was most certainly done.

See what happens next how I progress with my recovery in the next couple of weeks.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1246 on: September 29, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »
29/09/14 Day 73 Post Op 

Now that my right quads are getting stronger again is now the right time to start to do more gym workouts and increase my swimming! Or should I wait until I have seen Mr Snow on Wednesday 15th October 2014.

I could also now start to do 1 legged squatís as I am now into 11 weeks post op! Or this unwise thing to be doing after AIR surgery! Again is it best to wait to see what Mr Snow to see what he suggests doing next. 

I admit I can at times be impatient and stubborn as I am usually a physically active person and do not like to be held back from doing certain activities! I do not like that my right knee is restricting me so much right now. I am finding it hard to try and over ride the AIR surgery recovery by speeding it up a little.

[email protected]
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #1247 on: September 30, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »
30/09/14 Day 74 Post Op

I was able to help out today helping to run a community gardening project for young teens from a secondary state school in Worcester. I could manage it ok as we did trimming of a hedge that did not involve any kneeling or squatting.

I use to do it on a weekly bases last academic year and now doing it on a fort nightly basis and have already told the leader I cannot do any heavy lifting and need to avoid squatting and kneeling as well as avoiding any digging.

I have no problems doing light manual labour work, it has been a warm dry autumn the driest September in the UK for over 50 decades but as soon as the weather turns cold damp I will feel more right knee pain again!

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
01/10/14 Day 75 Post Op

Did a light swim yesterday early evening, I will be doing the same again later and for now I am just taking it easy doing gently swimming at a slower pace.

Tonight they have splash hour that is basically kids having a good time in the swimming pool with less restrictions so wading around in the water looks ok as I am not getting in the way of keen swimmers.

I am now at the stage where my right knee is not getting worse and it is not improving just remaining the same!

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
02/10/14 Day 76 Post Op

I am now walking reasonably ok again at an average walking pace with less of a noticeable limp unless I try to speed up my walking pace. Doing half leg squats I can do also still doing straight leg raises and my ROM is not too bad, neither was it after scope#1 so does not me the scar tissue has not returned again?

Less than 2 weeks until I see Mr Snow for my 2nd post op appointment and know he has major interest I soft tissue injury problems so chosen the right OS for AF of the knee. Just want to push myself harder but physically unable to as the bottom of my right knee is still too painful.

Would be very unwise to push through the pain barrier that does feel intense, I usually would not admit the pain level being on the higher end of the scale!

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
03/10/14 Day 77 Post Op

Now I am I am 11 weeks post op now would be a good time to increase my leg raises and two legged squats of around 300 each per day. I now feel ready try out 1 leg squats on my right knee that will have more of an impact to help rebuild the strength of the quads.

At least one good thing so far is my right knee does not give out anymore so the PT I am currently doing is beneficial. I do still feel pain and discomfort at  the bottom of the knee that increases when I attempt to kneel or squat.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
04/10/14 Day 78 Post Op

With the cooler autumnal weather finally setting into the UK after a long dry warm spell I am now feeling more pain in both knees and not just the twice operated right knee. Walking with a less of a noticeable limp does make me feel less restrictive and more flexible again.

My right knee feels ok until I try to squat and kneel then I feel intense pain straight away hitting the medial portal, no matter how much PT and light swimming and walking now a little further distance the pain is not subsiding.

Itís annoying how long it is taking to get over the AIR surgery and ideally if I would like  to get back to light jogging short distances by the start of the New Year January 2015. Hopefully by then hope I am able to run more and less pain free with out any scar tissue stopping me from be able to run.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
05/10/14 Day 79 Post Op

Despite doing the leg raises and squatting the quads remain the same not really getting any firmer, the knee now not giving out.

The quads size I know from scope#1 has shrunk in size so will take time to get larger again.

I will contact my My regular and trusted Sports PT this week as he will give me some good advice and guidance if what I can and cannot do.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
06/10/14 Day 80 Post Op

I am trying my best not to get too frustrated over not being able to be physically active as I do realise that AIR surgery takes time to recover from fully. It seems now like eternity when I was running at a competitive rate before my fall in January 2013. I have not been able to run since then.

The main reason I went for an exploratory scope was to rectify and fix the problem inside my right knee so I can run again without feeling intense pain and discomfort. So far post op have not yet seen any benefits from having excessive scar tissue removed in fact would say my knee is now worse off now then it was pre op.

My walking pace has gone right down and can no longer kneel or squat properly as the pain is too intense to endure and put up with.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
07/10/14 Day 81 Post Op

I texted my sports PT and will try his best to see me on Friday evening, he is a Rugby sports PT in the Worcestershire region and may be able to fit me in before he does training if it is still on! Then he will be going back overseas again in November. With a wife a son so do not want to intrude on his family life that he does not see too often working abroad.

I may have overdone it yesterday as if I have a good knee day get carried away and been emptying my flat ready to put on the market carrying furniture that really requires two people. No one is around to help me so doing it solo. Know I when I have overdone it as my knee gave out for the 1st time for over a week and was unexpected and painful when it did happen!

It's no longer the weakness of the quads it gives out when I been a lot on my feet all day and was at the rubbish tip in the morning to drop off a dismantled sofa so may need to slow down a little that's hard as I like to keep myself physically active during the day.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
08/10/14 Day 82 Post Op

Will be sending a text to my Sports Physio on Friday morning to see if he is doing any training at the Rugby Club he coaches at. May he will be too busy so might not be able to see him. If I don't see him it's only 1 more week before I see Mr Snow again for my 2nd post op appointment.

The colder weather does not help as now my left knee is playing up as it tends to do more during the cooler months of autumn and winter. Right knee remains the same no changes I am still finding it hard to kneel and squat as the pain and tightness around the medial portals intensifies!

[email protected]

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
Nick - try to be patient. Keep listening to your knee and back off on activities if your knee starts getting inflamed or is giving out. I hope that your physio can see you tomorrow night.

Are the patellar mobilizations still easy and loose? Are they painful? Hopefully there is just some scar tissue around portal that your physio can show you how to massage to break up.

Try to stay positive that you will be back to running.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Kirsten's advice is good - listen to your knee. If it's giving out then you need to seek help with the tasks that are aggravating it, even if you'd rather not. It's a difficult thing to do in the short term but will pay off in the long term if it means that your knee will return to a fuller level of function and capability. Keeping physically active is excellent, but you might need to stay focused on ways of doing so that don't put excessive pressure on your knee for a little while yet. It's good that you're consulting people - keep doing this, both with your physio and Mr. Snow. Unfortunately with your history of scar tissue development it's important to keep the experts in the loop as you work through recovery.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
09/10/14 Day 83 Post Op

Thanks Kristin and Snowy for your advice and guidance and know that Kristin is going through a hard time herself at the moment with her ongoing problems so appreciate that she had the time to respond to my post op diary.

It is hard to remain patient as I was very much physically active until my knee problems with scar tissue started. I will find out if I can still see my physio tomorrow evening, not got long now till I see Mr Snow again that is better then the original date in January 2015.

Hard to tell how well the patella mobilisation is going, I think it still about the same as it has been for the last couple of weeks with more pain around the medial portal compared to the lateral portal.

It unlike me to give up so easily on the idea that I may not ever run again as the knee not felt right for nearly 2 years of not be able to run. The pain has increased rather then deceased since my AIR surgery on 18th July 2014.

I am not putting any blame on Mr Snow as I know how difficult it is to control AF from returning if you just had a scope to remove excessive amounts of scar tissue that Mr Snow mentioned in his report.

I may have over done it slightly less then 6 weeks post op that I was partly to blame. The Private PT could have done his job to a better standard as I know he overdid my PT session.

Forcing my right knee right up to my buttock was extremely painful and usually can take pain on ok but this pain was very intense! My right knee has never been the same since and thatís why I rather seek advice and guidance from my sports PT that I have known since January 2010.

[email protected]

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
10/10/14 Day 84 Post Op

I sent a text message this morning to my sports physio and not yet replied back to my message, I kind of knew all along that I would be lucky if he can fit me into his tight schedule and short stop in the UK catching up with his family.

Only 5 more days until I see Mr Snow for the 2nd time post op, he should be able to give me some useful advice and guidance on what to do next and what I to expect after AIR surgery.

I have looked into if AF can speed up wear and tear inside the knee and some experts in AF say that patients with AF are more at risk of getting arthritis of the knee at an earlier age then a patient with a reasonably healthy knees that have not yet had any knee surgery or AF!

Are these facts true that AF can cause damage to the cartilage, this could be the case if you have had several AIR surgeries on one knee as each scope you have will increase the chances of wear and tear of the knee at more rapid rate!

Not suggesting or hinting that I may have the early signs of arthritis of the knee just could be more at risk now of developing an arthritic knee at an early age with two scopes on the same knee both soft tissue problems.

[email protected]

support