Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 299295 times)

Offline kingofleon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Nick's Medial Plica Excision & Fat Pad!
« Reply #660 on: January 29, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
Bud

i am four months on and still have pain and still feel a little unstable but as the other guys say on your post it does take a long time knee injurys
keep it up nick

paul

Pin2Ride

« Reply #661 on: February 02, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Hi nick,

I went to the trip on last weekend ,it was a lot of step on the way to waterfall.  My right knee was locking  double time.. LOL  hurttt! 

It's not too bad for the knees coz i can pain management and no problem  for the trip along. 

I went to see the OS  yesterday , I had questions about the pain above the knee cap and the detail of right knee surgery. 

He said " No, It's not affect from the surgery , i didn't do around there where you has pain.  I suppose that leg muscle is not strong enough  that's why you still have  pain at sometime.  So what kind of pain ?  tell me.."

I said "  its sound like aches " 

" that's it !   Lift up your leg and strain ,plz"  He said

I was lift up my leg one at time , it was  totter...   He was right.

He advised  to jogging  , swimming and weight training.  or biking.   it's could help  then it' will be gone.

He was shoot me about right knee's surgery . He want to treatment on my right knee , let's it done. 

Well, i asked a lot of questions to be surely . Yeah , He nice to me. 

Today , I went to jogging  about  30 minute.   Yep , still pain at sometime but  no more pain after jogging  if i cool it down.

At the moment when i post it , No pain no hurt.  I will try it out again tomorrow.

I will go to see the OS at the hospital on this Friday to make surgery  appointment.   

Hey , nick 

don't be give up  let's ask your OS ASAP  . Because He used to arthroscopic  inside your knee ,he knew what happen in your knee.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #662 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Pin,

Quite often after any knee surgery the quad muscles (in the thigh) will get a bit weak and cause some pain.  It may bother for a while until they get stronger.  For some reason those muscles just don't like knee surgery.  Did you enjoy the trip even with the knee bothering you?  Sounds like it.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Pin2Ride

« Reply #663 on: February 03, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »
Pin,

Quite often after any knee surgery the quad muscles (in the thigh) will get a bit weak and cause some pain.  It may bother for a while until they get stronger.  For some reason those muscles just don't like knee surgery.  Did you enjoy the trip even with the knee bothering you?  Sounds like it.

Milly

Hi Milly,

Yes, you are right.  As you said that I never know about that before.  Thank you for your kindly of the answer.   I sometime do PT but not full effectively,I admit it really..  But I always walking too much. 

I was happy at sometime while the knee not bothering me.  From now ,  I don't have any plan go to the trip  unit' my muscle back to be strong .   

Thank you for the space , nick

PIN

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #664 on: February 04, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
WEEK 11:

I saw my Physio this afternoon and he was really helpful and gave me some good advise. I been overdoing it at work and at the gym and not really giving my knee any rest. He told me not to use the cross trainer but can use the exercise bike and would be good to go swimming. I should also ice my knee more often even at work during lunch break should ice my knee for 15 minutes. My knee still swollen and painful and my Physio wants Mr Green to check the knee next time I see him on March 30th who one of his friends and knows him well and going to ask him if its possibe if he can see me on the 30th March but he told me he may not be working for the NHS that day but will asked Mr Green to tell his registrar to take a good look at my knee during examination.

I may have a build up of scar tissue that should be sorted though physio as he manipulated the portal area today that hurt to begin with but then pain was not so noticable. I also have some fluid inside the knee so not just swelling.

My Physio told me he cannot run anymore and will need a TKR in the future as he worn out his knee from running and playing sports since he was a kid. Has grade 4 arthritus in his knee and will end up with a TKR.

My quads are becoming stronger again so cannot be linked with the knee pain I am feeling as Milly pointed out.

I know everyone posting on my thread says it takes time to recover from a scope but sometimes surgery not the end of your knee problems. Sometimes another scope is needed like many members have had, but hope it does not come to that but possible if scar tissue causes problems and would do anything to run again. I hope I do not get Arthrofibrosis which can happpen after surgery but thinking too far ahead as it may take time to heal, just something that may happen if knee does not improve in a few months time.

My Physio thinks Mr Green needs to examine my knee again and he knows better then members on KG as he the next expert after Mr Green

I hope it just taking longer to recover from the surgery like most KG members are suggesting but at the moment seen no improvements apart from quads becoming stronger again. My hips are now starting to hurt, got a sharp pain in my left hip 2 days ago and left knee also hurts at times after using my knees a lot at work and the gym.

Nick :) {2010} :)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:48:03 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #665 on: February 04, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
hi Nick
I think I can understand your frustration I also thought that having a scope would sort out all my knee problems and it would only take a couple of weeks to get over then I would be back to normal, unfortunatly that is not the case as with you I dont feel much benefit from my op either.
At least you seem to have a good p.t and I think that should help. I have just started p.t so hopefully it should help me too in the long run.
I hope things improve for you soon and you can get back to jogging
Take Care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #666 on: February 05, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Hey Nick,

Just jumped on here to see how everyone is doing and I can't believe you're still struggling so much.  Unreal.  You just can't catch a break.  Doing your job with good knees is hard enough but doing it while rehabbing is almost impossible.  I give you a lot of credit for continuing to try. 

Hope it improves as you cut back a little on the exercises.  And please don't mention that awful "A" word (arthrofibrosis).  I'll be praying that's not what you have. 

Lenore
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #667 on: February 05, 2010, 08:37:38 PM »
Nick,

I am hoping that the issue is more related to over doing it at work and not a big scar tissue problem.  Man you are having a time of it.  I think though the more physical your job is the harder it is to work and rehab.  The portal manipulation is not always pleasent at first but it can help things along.  I got to where I actually liked to work the area, it did not feel so thick as I worked on it.  If the fluid is still there at your OS appt, maybe they can drain it for you.  If they feel it is worth it.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Linnea

• Regular Poster
« Reply #668 on: February 06, 2010, 02:46:50 PM »
I'm so sorry that things are not improving, Nick  :(  It's true what you pointed out: sometimes surgery is so not the end of it and things don't always go as planned. I know how angry and frustrated and sad you must be feeling. I went through a series of laparotomies in the 90's which - for a while - left me worse off than I was initially. We're here for you to vent, if need be.

I truly hope that your OS will be able to give you some answers eventually and perhaps suggest a new course of action.
"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop."

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #669 on: February 11, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
WEEK 12:

Coming up to 3 months and little improvments so far but found I can kneel down but have to kneel on my left leg 1st then put the right leg down but when knelt down knee right knee does not feel right and not very comfortable. I still regret having had the surgery done as I more limited now then I was before my scope as I was able to use the cross trainer without too many problems before my scope but now I cannot use it. To make matters worse my left knee becoming more painful after using the bike at the gym for 40 minutes and been told its maltracking that could be causing the pain. I have high pain tollerance and can cope with the left knee pain as long as it does not become worse I will learn to live with it.

My physio said you may always have a bit of swelling but my knee still swollen and do not think it should be 3 months after surgery and should have reduced by now but its not which is annoying as it limits me on what I can do at work and the gym.

Tez sorry your surgery did not help solve your knee problems and hope my scope sorted my problems but so far it not worked and made my knee worse.

Lenore I hope it not arthrofibrosis but do get pain around the portal area and very painful when trying to squat the who knee cap becomes tight and painful.

Milly maybe a simple drainage of the fluid in the knee may solve the problems who knows, I cannot help overdoing it at work as my jobs very physical and cannot avoid it.

Linnie see my OS on 30th March and hope by then knee has improved as the worst thing that could happen is another scope but hope it does not come to it and knee heals naturally.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #670 on: February 19, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »
WEEK 13:

Now well into week 13 and 13 in certainly an unlucky number for me after seeing my physio on Tuesday. When I saw him he told me I am putting far too much strain on my knee at work and the gym and if I keep putting strain onto the knee it may never heal. I have 2 options take time off work to rest the knee or not go to the gym 3 times a week. I cannot afford to take time of work for financial reasons and my Boss who not very understanding with my knee condition. I can still go to the gym but only doing upper body exercises and not allowed to use the cross trainer anymore as it will only make my knee worse and not alllowed to use the bike as often I would like to.

My physio told me can use the bike every other week but can still work on my upper body. I annoyed that I can no longer use the cross trainer which I use to enjoy using but since my knee surgery can no longer use it. At the moment my knee is worse off then it was before my surgery as I could use the cross trainer before I had my surgery. Knee felt better at the gym before my surgery but wanted surgery to stop the catching and sharp pain inside the knee and wanted to be able to run again. I now even more limited in what I can do then I was before my surgery and a little peed off that I cannot do certain things at the gym because of the swelling and pain inside the knee.

I could class my knee condition as chronic knee pain at this stage as I feel knee pain everyday and its swollen still and limits me in what I could do at the gym. I should have left knee as it was before my surgery as I rather have the odd catching and sharp pain then feeling knee pain everyday as I am at the moment and could use the cross trainer at the gym before my scope.

My physio told me to write a letter to Mr Greens Secretary at the NHS Hospital he works at where I had my surgery asking for a earlier appointment to see him and to see an NHS physio rather then paying private. My physio told me it unfair that you have to pay to see a physio and the NHS should have let me see a physio after my surgery. The aftercare I received was appalling as I was not even given a physio sheet when I left the Hospital and when I phoned up the hospital they told me they would post it but they never did so ended up getting a PT sheet from my sister who a nurse at Ipswich Hospital 170 miles away from Birmingham. I was only signed off work for 2 weeks which was not long enough for a manual job like mine and my Boss made me come in the 3rd week after surgery that made my knee worse and never been right since. I think I could have ruined my knee by going back to work too soon but hope I am wrong.

My physio said Mr Green may say I need an MRI scan or injection or he may want to scope knee again but said not to worry that far ahead yet, but possible if things do not improve. My family annoy me as they all told me so what if you cannot run just have to accept it but I cannot accept it as I still young and would like to be able to run again.

I hope it is just a slow recovery and knee will heal by its self as the worse thing that could happen is another scope as the last one so far not worked out for me. IF I needed another scope would go for it as I want to be able to run again even have a 3rd scope and would then give in and accept I can no longer run. I hope it does not come to surgery and knee heals by itself as I have be overdoing it at work and the gym and never give my poor knee any rest.

Sorry for such a long post but just had to share some of my frustration as I really miss not be able to run and now limted in what I can do at the gym.

:) {2010} :)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #671 on: February 19, 2010, 05:48:43 PM »
Hi Nick sorry you are feeling so down it is very dissapointing when you think  surgery is the answer to your knee problems and it ends up making things  worse. I'm sorry I cant give you any constructive advice that could help you feel better but hopefully knowing that there are people on this board who know how you feel may help a bit.
As for your physio I think he is right you should not have to pay to go to physio! you should deffo call or write to your consultants secretary and even if they cant bring your appointment forward they could refer you for n.h.s physio.
I hope things improve for you soon take care Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #672 on: February 20, 2010, 03:59:04 AM »
Nick,

Sorry things don't seem to be getting better for you.  I think you maybe needed more time off at the start.  It is hard not to over do when you have to work and have a physical job.  I think with the physical job it may be making recovery slower.  Definately see if you can get in to Mr. Green sooner.  Also see about the PT through the NHS.  It will save you if NHS will cover the cost.  Would it be possible to continue with the PT you have through the NHS?  Hang in there.  Definately if things are not better at 6 months out, have Mr. Green take another look.  Hang in there and take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #673 on: February 25, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
Hi Nick,

Please hang in there. I am sure things will get better. It doesn't help that you weren't treated properly.

I would consider seeing Mr Green privately to see what he thinks. That way you would be guaranteed to see him.

Also, you need to make sure you don't push yourself so hard in the gym. Your knee needs time to heal.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #674 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »
WEEK 14:

No improvements so far the swelling and pain is still there but get good and bad days some days knee not too painful while other days feel it a lot more. I keep being told by KG members and family it will take time to heal but feel at this stage surgery has failed as my knee worse off now then it was before my scope and all the posts I read about plica excison are all negative and it does not always fix the knee problem. If I try to squat the whole knecap becomes very tight and feel like someone pressing against my kneecap with intensre pain at the bottom of the kneecap around the portal area. I think it may be scar tissue casuing the pain and tightness and my physio is thinking the same way and does manipulate it each time I see him.

I wrote a letter to Mr Green last Sunday to try and see him earlier or try and see an NHS physio but now not sure I want to see an NHS physio as they are no where near as good as my present physio who I pay to see. I saw 4 NHS physio's since my knee injury and they are not very good and all they do is give you an exercise sheet. With my physio I am seeing he does ultrasound and uses heat and massages my knee which does help and do not get this kind of treatment on the NHS.

Kirsty I do not see knee getting better at this stage as when rest my knee it hurts and if I am on my feet all day knee starts to hurting even more. I may well see Mr Green at his private clinic as I never seem to see him on the NHS.

Milly maybe you are right and may take up to 6 months to recover but at this stage knee not getting better or worse but can really feel pain when trying to squat. I am reluctant now to see an NHS physio as they are no where near as good as a private physio. I am not really helping by doing hard manual work all day and going to the gym.

Tez yes you are right lots of members are in the same situation as me and are worse after their knee surgery. I would like to say knee is starting to improve but its not so far.

I should remain more positive but cannot at this stage as my knee just does not feel right and really like to run again one day. Knee surgery does not always fix the knee problem either you have to live with it or have more surgery. I hope it is a slower recovery and knee will be back to normal in just under 3 months time.