Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 299289 times)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Nick's Fat Pad Saga!
« Reply #600 on: December 14, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »
Nick,

Glad the cat is settling in well.  A scratching post will be a good idea.  I found that a bit of catnip rubbed on really got the cat interested.  Out kitty loves her catnip.  Our cat will bite at us as well, mostly playing, but she sometimes gets carried away.  I am glad she is good company for you.  You can clip a cat's nails but it takes a bit of doing.  I end up pretty scratched up (they don't usually like anyone to mess with their feet).  I found if I wrap our cat up in a blanket or towel she does not dig me with her back feet.

As for the other knee, it will probably hurt a bit more since it is doing more work while the other one heals.  As for how fast it should feel better, everyone is different and you did overdo it at work (not your fault of course).  Soft tissue stuff takes a bit longer than a meniscus to heal up.  Give it a bit.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Pin2Ride

« Reply #601 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:00 AM »
Hi Nick   ;)

Hey , glad to hear that you  got off work for more 2 week to resting your knee will be better..   you should take time to healing..

Can you take a picture of cat ? I'd like to see..  ;D  Your Ellie ..

My left knee is feeling so weird ,I don't know how to explain it. it's feel like the muscle is not stretch  when i wake up  in the morning..

Give take care of your..

PIN

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #602 on: December 14, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »
DAY 28:

On Saturday evening after doing some shopping and being on my feet most of the afternoon my knee was more painful in the evening so iced and took some ibuprofen tablets. Yesterday knee pain was slightly better then on Saturday and took it easier during the day but did not have time to ice it and feel pain and pressure around medial side of knee if I bend my knee 90 degrees +.

DAY 29:

Today I saw my Physio for the 1st time at 1pm at the other side of Birmingham but was worth driving all the way there as he knows what he talking about and trust he more then Alexander who was a joke. I told him that my Boss made me work after 2 weeks after my surgery and told me that because I went to work too soon may well have prolonged my recover and made my knee worse again. I told him I was a Greenkeeper and he said the hospital should have signed me off sick longer then 2 weeks more like 4 to 6 weeks in my line of job. My Physio is called Russ and was shocked that I waited over 2 years before I had my surgery and advised me to take out private health insurance if I can afford it as he does not bother with the NHS anymore with his knee problems he has had.

I told him Mr Green was my OS and he said he also was operated on by Mr Green and told me I chose the best OS in Birmingham. Russ plays a lot of football so over used his knee so much that he needed surgery and still plays now. I can afford private health insurance once I am back working full time again think was £24 a month was the cheapest quote I got a few weeks ago as Russ advised me to take out insurance in my line of job and when I go jogging again. I could have problems with my left knee in future and right knee as well with matracking so hope my knees are covered.

Russ made me climb up some steps 1st with my good knee then with my right knee and when I put pressure on my right knee felt pain and discomfort on the medial side of the kneecap. He told me going back to work after 2 weeks was crazy and may well have made knee worse and hospital should have signed me off sick for longer then 2 weeks.
Russ massaged my knee and used ultrasound and told me to take ibuprofen tablets every 4 to 6 hours and to elevate and ice knee on a regular basis. I was given some exercises to do at home the same excercise that jinny gave me but more often at longer intervals. I can also go back to the gym and use the excercise bike at a low level and use the tred mill to do a slow walk but to stop if knee starts to hurt. I can do upper body exercises so looking forward going back to the gym.

Russ said Mr Green lives in the same Village as him and knows him well and I am sure Mr Green would recommend Russ who has his room above a hairdresser and only charges £25. I booked to see him again next week Monday to see how I am getting on with the PT and see if the swelling goes down and if knee improving. Russ told me a professional football player would be at the gym 2 days after surgery until they can no longer continue because of the knee pain. Russ thinks I need another 3 weeks off work so see what Mr Green says on the 29th.

Ellie settled in well and still lovey and likes a lot of fuss and great to have someone in my flat when I wake up in the morning she really cheers me up 1st thing in the morning.

Nick :) {2009} :)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:24:36 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #603 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Nick,

Sounds like your PT understands what's going on.  Glad you can go back to the gym, just don't over do it.  It is nice to have someone around the house isn't it?  Glad Ellie is getting on well and settling in nicely.

I agree with your new PT.  With a physcially demanding job like you have, you should have been off a lot longer.  A desk job is so much less stress on the knee.  Even though the sitting for a long time an get you.  Keep up with the ibu and the ice. 

Milly

PS: Give Ellie a scratch for me.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #604 on: December 15, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
Nick,

Great to hear your appointment with the physio went well and can start back in the gym. Make sure you follow his suggestions. It is really important to your recovery.

Not long till you see Mr Green.

It is wonderful the cat is settling in well. Great company for you.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #605 on: December 15, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »
DAY 30:

I have done what my Physio told me to do and take ibuprofen tablets every 4 hours and ice my knee every couple of hours for 20 minutes. I have also been doing the muscle strengthening exercises 30 times about 3 times a day. Leg raises with and with out a raised towel under the thigh and raising leg while sitting down.

I will go back to the gym tomorrow 1 month after my surgery and do a low level on exercise bike and walking on the tred mill for 20 minutes on each machine as well as doing some upper body weights. Russ told me not to use the cross trainer just yet.

I really hope I can run again as I just added an old school friend on Facebook and said he remembers what a fantastic cross country runner I was at school and be disappointed if I still unable to run in a few months time as that was one of my main reasons to have the surgery so I can start jogging once again.

Knee still the same feel pressue and pain on medial side of knee if I bend the knee 90 degrees plus, the lateral side has been fine so far with hardly any pain at all. Thanks Kirsty the appointment went well yesterday with my Physio and he a lot better then Alexander.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #606 on: December 17, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »
I wonder if the medial side is where some soft tissue stuff was done and maybe that's why it's irritated.  Anyway follow the PT's advice, take it easy at the gym.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #607 on: December 17, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »
DAY 31:

Yesterday I went to the gym for the 1st time since my surgery and did what Russ told me to do and went on the bike for 20 minutes on the lowest resistant and 20 minutes on the tred mill at a slow pace at 3mph. My knee felt ok during the exercise did hurt to begin with on the bike but was ok once I started to pedal.

DAY 32:

I went to work this morning as I could not ignore everyone just because I want to avoid my Boss who was not in as he booked a day off work so just shows they are not very busy on the golf course. Its my weekend to work this weekend and told work I am happy to come in as its only about 2 hours max in the morning and work with a greenkeeper I get on with and just have to check the course and looks as if it may be closed as we getting snow on Friday so wont have to do much at all if it does end up closing.

I was even was happy to come into work part time next week but lucky for me the Deputy Head Greenkeeper told me not to come in if I have a sick note so in the end decided its best not to come into work next week. I told them feel bad that I cannot help them out but they are ok about it as the golf course is not very busy in December so dont feel as bad having time away from work.

I have to go back to work tomorrow just to discuss our Christmas rota from Christmas Day to New Years Day as we take it in turns to come in pairs and work half a day till the 2nd January and hope I can work during that week after seeing Mr Green. It would be good to work half a day to begin with and then slowly work towards a full day.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #608 on: December 18, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »
DAY 33:

Went to vist work this morning and discussed my knee with my Boss and Deputy Head and they both told me its not wise to come into work this weekend as I still on sick leave and could slip on ice and re injure my knee. I suppose its a good thing not to work this weekend and to rest my knee until the 29th December when I see Mr Green again and hope he says I can work again. The statutory sick pay I am on is very little and will go into the red if I continue on the SSP so need to work ASAP.

I was willing to work next week but been told not to as I still on sick leave buy really could do with full pay again and willing to risk it as I desperate for my normal pay again. My Boss is now the opposite he wants me to stay away from work till I have seen Mr Green again he told me he would not have made me come into work if he had not read the message on Facebook that I drove to Ipswich which I never said just mis read what I posted on Facebook but its history now and not talking about it anymore. I may ask the Groundsman at the local cricket and hockey club if he needs a hand next week as I really could do with some money as my pay at the moment is below minimum rage and willing to take the risk with my knee.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #609 on: December 19, 2009, 03:16:14 PM »
DAY 34:

I have decided that I will listen to my GP and not try and do extra work next week as my family told me my work wont be happy if I work else where. I aslo can just about pay my mortgage and standing orders this month as my mum said she give me cash for food and going out and can pay her back once I am working full time again. If Mr Green says I can work again I will be working on 31st December from 7am till 12pm with another greenkeeper as we dont work with full staff between Christmas Day and New Years Day.

Knee improving and can walk better with less of a limp but at a slow pace but knee pain and tightness around medail side is still there if I bend knee 90 + degrees or try and squat. I am sure Mr Green will allow me to work again when I see him on 29th December and can earn a full wage again.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Nick's Medial Plica Excision & Fat Pad!
« Reply #610 on: December 21, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
DAY 35:

Yesterday had a lazy day at home as it was too dangerous to drive or walk as we had a light snow shower then a hard frost overnight that compacted the snow and made it very slippery. I just rested my knee up and watched TV and took ibuprofen tablets every 4 hours as Russ told me to do and did some leg raises as I was watching the TV.

DAY 36:

Posting earlier today because I have a few things to sort out today 1st I have to go to the neighbourhood office and see if I can get some sick benefits until I am on full pay again as I struggling with the sick pay I am on so need any extra money I can get. Seeing Russ at 12:30pm my Physio to see how knee getting on and still the same and swelling not gone down yet and still a bit sore and tight to bend knee and to squat. After seeing Russ I will be going to the clubhouse at work as the Greens Staff have been invited for lunch and drinks which I do not feel like going to but may enjoy it once I am there.

I changed my title on my thread so members can see what I have had done as its no longer a saga as I have been operated on finally, 2 years after injury.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #611 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
Nick,

Hope you enjoy your lunch.  I know how hard it is with half pay or less, but better to get the knee well.  It's good your mom will help out (that's what mom's are for you know).  I am glad the boss is seeing some sense right now.  Don't forget to put the leg up and ice it when possible.  It helps a lot with swelling too.  Take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #612 on: December 22, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »
DAY 37:

Only 1 more week until I see Mr Green for post up appointment and I hope he allows me back to go back to work again as I could do with earning my full wage again. I will ask him if plica removal is part of maltracking as its under the PFS section on KG but would like to know what other members think about the medial  plica excision being connected with maltracking?

My PT with Russ went well yesterday afternoon and has given me some more strengthening exercise to build up my leg muscles and been told the more PT I do the quicker my knee will recover from the surgery. I will see him again next week Wednesday after I have seen Mr Green and will then see him monthly rather then weekly. Russ still thinks I should take out private health insurance and will once I get my full pay again next year after the way the NHS delt with my knee injury only too happy to go private.

I was walking with my mum this afternoon after lunch around her neighbourhood and was walking when suddenly my knee gave in and felt pain at the bottom of the kneecap and is it worth telling Mr Green about it as its does not feel very nice when it happens.

Milly the Lunch at the Clubhouse was boring as there was no one there as the golf course was shut because of the snow so were no Members around so in the end we went home at 4pm as the place was empty and did not feel like going out for a pint at a pub because it was only Monday. We would have gone out after if it was Thursday or Friday. I will try to ice and rest my knee more this week and next week before seeing Mr Green.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #613 on: December 22, 2009, 05:49:33 PM »
Hum quite the sleeper for lunch eh?  Monday does not seem like the night to go to the pub, I agree.

Definately let Mr. Green know about the giving way etc.  I hope he will let you back to work too, but only if he thinks you are ready for it.  Definately the more PT you can do the stronger the knee will get.  Just remember anything that causes sharp pain or long lasting pain should be stopped.  Then ask your PT about any exercises that do that.  It can be slow going sometimes to get the knee back.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Hopesmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #614 on: December 23, 2009, 06:52:15 AM »
Hi Nick,

Remember me? I haven't posted in a few months, just trying to do everything I could with my fat pad before surgery.  So far I've tried acupuncture, 2 physical therapists, anti-inflammatories, taping, and recently cortisone injections.  I never thought I could end up in worse pain, but after the cortisone injections my knee is now worse 2 weeks later.  I know the doctor was doing his best, but I think the long needle that was poked around in there maybe damaged some nerve endings??  I am getting very depressed with the pain.  It is pretty excruciating.  So now I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon on Jan. 6th.  I want to know if you are glad you had the surgery?  Is the pain better/less than the pain you had before? 
1995 exploratory scope; OS did not diagnose fat pad syndrome
1/2010 AIR/LOA removed most of fat pad, unfortunately didn't know about postop protocol to prevent more scar tissue
8/2010 AIR by Dr. Steadman to release patellar tendon adhesion; found & released suprapatellar plica compressing 1/3 joint