Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 299288 times)

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
Re: Nick's Fat Pad Saga!
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:56 PM »
Hey Nick,

You need to just give the injection time to work a bit more, and then consider the scope.  You seem to have changed from being afraid of a scope to now wanting one asap no matter what.  Just give the injection a few more days and then meet with Dr. Green and thoroughly discuss his concerns, etc.

Someone above mentioned the scar tissue, especially when a doc goes in to poke around and look around.  That's what happened to me.  My OS didn't know what was wrong with my knee (the MRI didnt' show the loose piece of cartilage floating around), so he had to look around all over the place. That, added to the fact that I didn't bend my knee for over a week (i had a bad PT person who didn't even relay the importance of beginning to work on ROM asap), caused me to develop AF (severe scar tissue growth). So long as you begin PT and working on ROM right away, you have a much better chance and keeping that scar tissue away.

Have you been staying away from the gym? I hope you haven't decided to go, despite the doctor's orders. You seem stubborn like that, lol. Take it easy next week, k? So when do you see Green again? ttys!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
Hi All,

I know it takes time for injection to work but the catching is just as bad as it was before the injection and knee feels the same and does not feel any better since injection. I always thought from reading on other KG's posts that a steroid injection is a not a miracle cure just temporary fix does not really cure the knee problems and you guys know this as much as I do that injections dont cure the knee problem just reduces the swelling and knee pain.

Nevella you said so yourself that your MRI scan came up normal but knew you had some damage inside the knee and asked the OS to scope the knee and he found the problem and fixed it and now your knee almost fine again. I cant see what the big deal is about having a scope yes there are risks and Jinny told me them but you have to take risks during your life as it might benefit you in the end. Now Mr Green found a problem and may have damaged the bottom of my knee and tibia whats there to lose in taking a look inside the knee as it might be a blessing and can sort out my knee problem and maybe can run once again.

I am annoyed with my family as they said to me so what if you never can run again its not that important but to me it is as I am only 30 and want to run again as I like a jogging. I may never be able to run again but can try all I can to try and run again even if it means surgery. I cant run to catch a bus so end up waiting 20 minutes waiting for the next bus to come so really need to be able to run again.

Yes I know the risk of having a scope with scar tissue but if  I keep on top of PT scar tissue wont be a major issues and sometimes you just have to go on how your knee feels and if your knee does not feel right then see no harm in a scope. Why are so many people on KG and family so anti knee surgery many famouse sports men and women have had a scope and can compete again in thier sports and have no long lasting damage just the odd knee pain.

Just been to garden centre and bottom of kneecap by tibia was hurting and Mr Green thinks I may have done some damage at the bottom of my kneecap by tibia so proves that there must been some damage after all even after the injection.

Nick :) {2009} :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:02:39 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:15 PM »
Nick,

You said yourself Dr. Green is one of the best.  He listens to you and is treating you the best he knows how.  If he thinks you need a scope I'm sure you'll get one.  Meanwhile just relax and give the injection a chance to work.  Try to take it a day at a time and don't get all wound up about what may or may not happen in the future.  I know you've waited a very long time to get proper treatment but it sounds like you are now in good hands.  I'm confident Dr. Green will fix you up one way or the other.

Meanwhile try not to overdo it and have a great weekend. 
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
Nick,

You said yourself Dr. Green is one of the best. He listens to you and is treating you the best he knows how. If he thinks you need a scope I'm sure you'll get one. Meanwhile just relax and give the injection a chance to work. Try to take it a day at a time and don't get all wound up about what may or may not happen in the future. I know you've waited a very long time to get proper treatment but it sounds like you are now in good hands. I'm confident Dr. Green will fix you up one way or the other.

Meanwhile try not to overdo it and have a great weekend.

Totally Agree.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2009, 12:24:20 AM »
Hi Nick,

I know it's frustrating waiting 6 weeks, but you just need to trust Mr Green. I am sure he will be able to help fix your knee.

Just make sure you don't over do things and listen to your knee when it hurts and back off things.

Have a good week. :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
Hi All,

Instead of going to the gym I am in the Library posting on KG as I better do what Mr Green told me to do and stay away from the gym for a few days, will go to the gym again on wednesday. I am still waiting for injection to do its stuff as knee feels like it was before the injection with pain on bottom of kneecap by tibia/fibula and pain on the medial side. The lateral side pain still there but not as bad as before so injection is helping a little but not got rid of this catching I keep feeling.

I had a few pints with my brother in law and his freind yesterday evening and told them about my appointement and they both seen him as well and his freind had a scope and told me just go for it as it helped him and he plays professional cricket and had a success with his scope. Of course they both think highly of Mr Green as he is one of the best UK OS's for knee surgery so lucky that I can see him on the NHS as Alexander could not be asked to when he got a letter from my GP saying I wanted to see Mr Green. The way Alexander handled my knee problem is a disgrace saying my knee fine dont have a problem and should be able to run.

Kirsty said to me on FB chat to write a complaint letter, what do you guys think should I write a complaint letter or leave it as it, the way Alexander treated me on the NHS.

Maybe you are all right need to give the injection time to work but just know I have damaged the inside of my right knee and injection not goung to solve my knee problem. The pain I got when he found the area was a very bad pain and can put up with pain normally, he made sure by doing it 5 times and did not like it one bit never felt pain like this before.

I have been told that injection is painful but felt hardly a thing just a prick when needle went in and was surpised when it was over so quickly. My Brother in Law said the same thing as he hardly felt the injection when Mr Green gave him the shot.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
hi Nick - well done for staying away from the gym - now do yourself a favour and stay away for a whole month to see if you get improvement - no point having the injection and still working away at the knee not giving it time to heal - sorry but think you need to heed a bit of advice - an injury will NOT get better if you keep on beating it up !

As for the injection pain - it will only be painfull if the person administering it doesnt get it spot on ! I have had loads in my shoulder and most of the time they dont hurt if the needle goes straight to the right place !

anje
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #427 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »
Hi Nick,

Good idea to follow Mr Green's advice. Your knee may feel a bit better when you get back in the gym. It's important to keep exercising. When you go back to the gym just don't thrash yourself.

I think you need to find some ways to relax. This may help with the way you think about your knee. For me I like doing silk painting and card making, which really helps. I love listening to music too or taking my dog for a walk.

Ange, rest is often not the answer for most knee injuries. Nick resting from a month from the gym could make matters worse as he could lose muscle strength. Just doing some gentle exercise actually helps. These injections can still be very painful even if given by an experienced doctor. Some people react to it quite differently.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #428 on: April 28, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
Hey Nick,

Good idea to stay out of the gym for a few days.  I wouldn't completely stop, but maybe dial back a bit on how much you do.  Don't over do it.  Keeping the muscles strong is important, but don't trash the knee in the process.

I am not sure what to think about a complaint letter.  I personally would write one because being treated that way is not right and who else may he be doing this too.

As for getting the injection to work, it may not completely remove the pain.  It definately won't fix catching if there is a mechanical reason for it (unless that reason is simple inflammation).  So the idea is to get some relief from pain.  Even if it's only a little bit.

Hope you have a good day today and try not to work the knee too hard.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #429 on: April 28, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
Hi All,

I found a way to get my anger and frustration out of my system with whats going on with my knee. I go on the cross trainer on the highest level for 20 minutes and this helps me let off my anger inside and feel a lot better after being on the cross trainer. I am going to get my GP to examine my knee show him the swelling and catching to prove to him its not in my head and need to see Mr Green ASAP as I know he will think the same way as me its not in my head.

Sorry to say this but this is NOT gentle exercise! His OS has said to keep away from the gym for a bit and I think Nick should respect this advise. It is not like he is sitting on his bum all day - he has a manual job which involves a lot of walking - which is good exercise.
While we are on it as well - It may actually take a course of several  injections to improve the knee - One injection is not a simple fix and it may take time . When your knee swells it does it to protect the joint so you would be mad to keep inflicting high impact exercise on it !

Nick you have finally got to see the person you wanted so I would follow his advice no matter what anyone says - he is the only one that has examined you and knows what state your knee is in.
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
Hi All,

I agree with Anje to a certain extent as I am known to overwork my body a lot with my extra job and overdoing it at the gym. I am still going to the gym but wont go on such a high level on the cross trainer and only 20 minutes rather then 40 minutes. No improvment with my right knee felt catching and pain at work today on lateral side.

I need to take a break from my thread for a while as its driving me bonkers everyone giving different advise so hope you guys understand and respect me for wanting time away from my thread. I made my own mind up anyway if knee no better when I see Mr Green again in a few weeks time will ask him to scope the knee. Too many injections can be bad for the knee. I know about the risks of having a scope but willing to take a risk for a change whats thier to lose in Mr Green taking a good look inside the knee and may well be able to solve my knee problem finally.

Happy to post on other members thread but not mine will update my thread once a week on Tuesdays. I am the only person that knows how bad my injury is and getting peed off about it and just want help and will be helped. I am in good hands under Mr Green and hope some day I can run again.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:55:33 PM by Clarkey »

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #431 on: April 28, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
Hi Nick

Think sometimes we start to think of nothing but our injuries and that alone can compound the situation which doesnt help with recovery !
take care
anje

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #432 on: May 01, 2009, 06:22:07 PM »
Dear Nick,
I have been reading your posts regularly and keeping up with your progress and appointments.  I am glad you got your appointment with Mr Green.  At leats he was able to see what the problem was in  your knee. As long as your are aware of the risks and disadvantages of a scope then if Mr Green says you need one  just go for it....I would just want you to know that they are not always successful, as you know I had a scoipe in Korea that didnt make any difference at all.  I will be having another one but am battling to stay positive about that as my OS hs said it will be diagnostic and I may need further knee surgery.
If you decide to stick with Mr Green as your OS you should follow his advice to the letter as that will give your knee the best chance with the treatment he has used.
one thing I have found out that might help you also, my local private hospital allows patients to have appointments with a physio on a self referral basis, perhaps seeing a physio would help with what exercises you should or shouldnt be doing- it might be quite important not to move your knee in certain ways at the moment.

I understand you wanting time away from your thread, it is hard when you recieve conflicting advice but only you know your knee so I would say take any advice as more information to help you to decide and also spend time doing other things that help you to keep your mind occupied.  So far I have learned to speak and write Korean and am now doing a painting course.  It is different for me though cos' I cant work at the moment.

I hope you have a great weekend....please write when you can and tell me what you have been up to!
Allie xx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #433 on: May 02, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
Hi All,

I know I said I want a break from my thread but have had a few days not posting on it so feel alot better now having had a few days away from posting on my thread.

I wish I could say my knee improved since the injection but it has not, in fact it feels worse and think when Mr Green did the pain test it agitated my knee even more but is not his fault as he only doing his job and was the only person that located where my knee pain is coming from. Is this normal that a steroid injection does not help as people I know and members on KG say it stopped thier knee pain so how comes my knee pain just the same.

Anje right as I have been to the gym twice this week and when I finshed my workout felt pain on lateral side of the knee. I really love going to the gym as the gym staff are really nice and chat to some of the people at the gym and like doing the exercises to build up my leg muscles. I now use the cross trainer and exercise bike on a lower level but for less time and as Kirsty said need to maintain strong leg muscles incase I did need a scope as I would recover alot better. I am not letting my knee injury dictate my life as I love my workout at the gym and what ever I do weather I am at work or at the gym knee pain still there. No way could I not go to the gym anymore its like a drug its addictive and cant be without it as I would be in a bad mood if I cant go.

Allie nice to see you back on KG again we missed you during the last few weeks. I know that a scope does not always fix or solve the knee problem but I am going to try what ever I can to be able to run again and reduce the pain and catching. If I did ask for a scope and it did not improve my right knee and can never run again then have top accept it. I can then say tried all I can to get knee right again but there nothing that can be done to get it to how it use to be. Then again a scope of the knee might be a success and might stop the catching and pain and may well be able to run once again.

I am not chaging my OS as Mr Green been fantastic and only too happy for him to scope my knee if he has to as he very good at his job and treats the Warwickshire 1st team players at Edgbaston so seeing one of the best OS's in the UK. Might be a wise move to see a good physio as you said he/she can tell me what I can and cannot do at the gym.

At least its the bank holiday weekend and can have a extra day off work which is always nice as we all like days away from our workplace.

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #434 on: May 02, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »
Hi Nick, you are quite right to try everything as you need to be sure that you have done all you can, you are too young to give up on being able to run...it is good to hear that you are happy with Mr Green as a OS after all the waiting you have had to do.  He must be good if he treats prof. sports players, was it personal recommendation that helped you to find him.
My knee didnt improve after the injection and I have now had three of them which as as many as you can have in a year, perhaps this is another sign that warrants further investigation.
It is much easier to not get upset or angry about your knee problems if you are doing everything you can about- the worst thing, as I have found it is to be in knee limbo!!
Have a great weekend
Allie xx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)