Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 333103 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Fluid around the Fat Pad!
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
Hi hels,

Sorry that you also having knee problems and people have the nerve to say its in your head including OS's who should be the last person to say its in your mind. Its 2008 almost 2009 and the OS you have seen say put up with it which tells me they are too lazy to do what they paid to do which is scope the knee to see whats causing the pain and discomfort and limited mobilty. I am lucky I dont have to be able to run with my job as many people have to such as Police Officers and armed forces if they was told by an OS to live with it they would be out of a job and have to live of benifits and could lose thier property as they would not be able to pay their mortgage.

I can see you have had a lot of knee problems in the past and had 1 scope and the OS found things wrong inside the knee. I will also have a steroid injection into the fat pad like you have had 5 times which is too many as I been told you should not have to many steroid injections in your lifetime. I am glad you searching for an OS that will finally give the treatment you really should have had in the 1st place.

A scope of the knee is routine for an OS which he does daily and it cant be so bad for the knee if you have so many problems with it already then a scope cant make the knee worse if anything might improve the knee. It wont fixed the knee problem 100% but if it reduced the pain and improves your mobilty then I cant see anything wrong in having it done. I know once you had a knee scoped it can lead to arthritus but I willing to risk that then put up with knee pain and limited mobilty I am getting at the moment.

I wrote a list out on my PC at home of the symptoms I keep getting in my right knee and explained that I been doing PT and going to the Gym for 6 months and improved my leg muscles but knee still the same so wont be happy if the OS I see says carry on doing PT. I will print out the list and show it to Alexander the PT who I will be seeing on Wednesday who can then show the list to the OS I hope to be seeing.

I lucky to live in a large city and hope to see one of the OS listed on this website that work at the Hospital I will be going to in Birmingham. I think I should be seeing one of the top OS's in Birmingham as they most likely to give me the treatment I deserve.

Sorry for the long thread and so many posts replies but seem to get many members posting on here and this is what the bulletin board all about share our knee problems.

Nick  :) {2008} :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:29:12 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
Hi Nick,  I'm out of town this week but I just wanted to jump on here before I leave and say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!    [/color] [/b]

Hope you have a wonderful 30th celebration and hopefully this is the year you'll get your knee problems resolved!!!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
Hey Nick,

I don't have much time now to read, but I wanted to post something so that way I get notified when I log on if there are new replies in your thread (so that will remind me to check it later).  Have a good one!! And Happy Birthday tomorrow!!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »
Hi All,

Lenore thanks for the Birthday wishes not long now to wait till the big day.

Nevella glad you found my thread after I pasted the link on yours and Lenore thread.

There seems to be confusion among members on bulletin board thinking I will be seeing an OS on Wednesday. I am not seeing an OS just yet, will be seeing Alexander the PT at the Hospital that has seen me a few times before who I am sure will send a referal to an OS.

I written out a list to show Alexander about the knee symptoms I get and how I feel about my knee problems and will share it with the members on the board as I pleased with what I have written and my Sister who a nurse at an orthpaedic ward  says it should make them think more about giving me the treatment I deserve to get from the NHS that I paid into for over 9 years since starting work so should be allowed to use thier services.

Right Knee:

Not been able to run since October 2007 when I fell heavily on right knee while jogging on the pavement.

Also fell heavily onto the right knee back in 2002 while I was giving my sister a piggyback on the pavement and caused me some knee problems, knee was not as bad as the 2007 fall.

Walk with a limp at a slower pace compared to others.

Swelling towards bottom of kneecap since fall back in October 2007, swelling not reduced yet even after 4 ultrasound sessions.

Dull knee ache majority of the time mainly towards the bottom of the knee.

Sudden sharp pain on lateral side of the knee towards bottom of kneecap that last a few seconds, can repeat 3 to 4 times in sequence.

Catching sensation inside the knee in same area where I get sudden sharp pain.

Worst pain I feel is sudden sharp pain from the kneecap up the side of leg to the hip that does not happen to often. (Happens after heavy lifting at work)

Knee at times feels unstable and uncomfortable while walking and standing after doing heavy manual work at the golf club.

Doing hard physical activities increases the risk of sudden sharp pain periods.

Sometimes while sitting down mowing, knee feels tight and rubbery and aches a lot.

Right hip hurts at times because of the way I am walking.

Paul my PT I saw recommended strengthening the leg muscles around the kneecap by doing regular PT sessions. I been going to the gym 3 times a week for 6 months and been using the exercise bikes and cross trainers and done 20 minutes on each machine.

Its has improved my leg muscles as I can now squat and fully extend my legs right up while sitting up in bed that I could not do before going to the gym and doing the PT Paul gave at Quinton Care Centre.

Don’t think I can make my muscles any stronger so would be disappointed if the OS I see suggest the same thing by strengthening the leg muscles.

Due to my Asperger Syndrome starting to get anxieties over my knee problems as its taking too long to sort of the problem and would like the OS I see to get to the root of my knee problem.

If arthroscopy is suggested would be worried, nervous and apprehensive about it but at the same time pleased that the knee problem might be rectified. I know it won’t cure the knee problem 100% but any reduction in knee pain and improvement in mobility would be a benefit
for me.

Left Knee:

Clicking and grinding of the knee at times.

Moderate knee pain. (Don’t feel pain as often as the right knee)

Sharp pain inside that knee, does not happen very often.

I will print out what I said above and give it to Alexander then he can show the OS what I written so he has a idea on what wrong with my knee and whats the best course of treatment.

Nick :) {2008} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »
Hey Nick,

Happy birthday today!!!

I just read your list of symptoms.  Wow. Poor guy. And yeah it does sound very similar to my buddy Lenore.  You guys definitely must have some of the same knee problems.  I'm sorry you're suffering so much.  I hope you get some answers very soon.

I know you said you fear surgery, but from what you described, I can't honestly see how they COULD fix it without a possible scope.  As someone who had a mere scope, I can tell you it's nothing to get too afraid about. Before my surgery (october '07) I had never had surgery before.  I was afraid, but my fiance Martin was there with me and so that made it easier. I was even a big baby about getting my IV, lol (but it actually didn't hurt).

If you DO need surgery, don't freak yourself out by reading a lot on it, or what others write on here, k? everyone is different.

It sucks that your job requires sometimes heavy lifting, since that sometimes aggravates your condition (sharp pain, etc). What is it exactly that you do?

Ok, i don't have much time to type today, but Happy Birthday.  Lenore is back on Friday, so you'll have her posting then too.

have a good one!!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
Hey Nick, I jumped on here to see how you're doing and it looks like I'm a little early.  You probably won't have any answers until later today.  I'll try to check back tonight after you're Dr. visit.  Hope they set you up with an OS appt. so you will get answers soon.  Hang in there fat pad buddy! 
05/09  MUA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
Hi All,

I been and seen Alexander yesterday morning the PT at the Hospital and was pleased with his conclusion. Cant remember exactly what he said but my inflammed fat pad and fluid is fairly rare that he had to show the MRI scan to a senior OS at the Hospital, think its to do with the size and the position that fat pad in, something that OS's dont see too often. I showed Alexander the list I printed out and said my symptoms are typical of a inflammed fat pad.

I was pleased when he said I will be seeing an OS finally and they will try a steroid injection 1st into the fat pad. I been booked in to see a very nice OS who I been told has a young family and he knows a bit about Asperger syndrome so can imagine he will be a down to earth guy. The senior OS that seen my MRI scan suggest that I dont have a scope just yet and will see if the steroid injection works or not.

Alexander told me what will happen when the OS does the procedure I might have to wear a gown and go into a operating theatre so I am in a Sterile enviroment and will use an ultrasound machine that they will use to show where the inflammed fat pad is so they get the needle in the right area as it can be dangerouse to give the injection in the wrong area. I wont need to be put to sleep and they hope to remove some of the fluid at the same time and hope it will resolve my fay pad problems.

If the steroid injection fails and knee still the same will need to have a scope but been told that a its up to me if I want it or not. I hope it does not come to this stage but if it did should I go for a scope as I know it takes a long time for the knee to heal up after a scope. My brother in law had a scope in October and his knee not right yet.

I very satisfied and relieved that they will treat me and not say carry on doing PT which I thought was going to happen.

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2008, 06:50:34 PM »
Hi Nick,  so glad to hear your visit went well.  So when will you go see the OS?  It's great he is familiar with Asperger syndrome too.  Good to hear you won't need surgery yet.  Hope the steroid works for you. 
05/09  MUA

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
Hi Nick,

great news for you.  At least now you should get a little relief for the time being and hopefully can get away from having a scope and if this does not work you will always have the option of a scope in the future.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »
Hi all,

Alexander pointed out where the needle will go and its on the bottom of the medial side of the knee where I dont get much pain its on the lateral side of the knee where I keep on getting the catching so not too sure if it going to work or not could be another thing wrong with the knee apart from the fat pad. It would be fantastic if the injection works but if it does not is a scope really so bad for the knee many of you say its good to avoid a scope.

I get a day off work when I get the injection and not sure if I should book it as a holiday as my boss might get annoyed that I having a day sick the 1st in 3 years. IF the injection does not help should I accept a scope or leave my knee as it is?

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »
Hi Nick,

If the injection does not work and you can live with the problem then don't bother with the scope but if you can't live with the problem then you know the scope will be the next step.  It is only you who can decide whether to go for it or not.

Not an easy decision to make but you will know what the right decision is when the time is right.  At least the injection should help for a time.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »
Take it a day at a time Nick.  I know it's hard when you've been patient so long but see how the steroid works and go from there.  Maybe it will solve everything.
05/09  MUA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
Hi Sue,

I hope the injection works and if it does not then may go for a scope the only reason I might not go for it is my boss at work would need to take sick leave and he would be annoyed with me if I did decide to go for a scope because he thinks there nothing wrong with my knee along with the other 4 greens staff who are all on his side. I met a work collegue at a pub on Thursday night told him what will happen and got the impression he thinks I not have got a knee problem and he normally a real nice guy. When I told him might need  1 day sick leave he shrugged his head as if to say my boss wont be happy about that.

I am sure the lads at work think its an obcession just to be a member of this webiste and have not really got knee problems. I can tell you its not, yes I think about it eveyday because I feel pain and discomfort and cant walk properly so bound to think about it every single day. Alexander knows about my work staff and told me to send them over to see him so he can show the MRI scan to them >:(

I could book the day of as a holiday but think it should be a sick day my 1st sick day since February 2006. I told Lenore on her thread if injection failed would be silly to turn down a scope if  I can return back to running and walk better and pain becomes less then 100% behind a scope if they OS says it will remain the same wont go for it.

I picking up still my concern still about if a scope was the only option left as you pointed out Sue if I can live with my knee problems then dont have a scope. Will a scope make my knee worse and do scopes really ruin your knee for the future by leading to arthritus. I heard some good and bad stories about scopes from kneeguru and people that I know so can understand my concerns if the injection did not work. Some cases if you put up with the knee problems you could be doing more harm then good to the knee and could be faced with a TKR as some members have done on this board by ignoring the knee pain for years and not getting it treated.

Lenore you might be right injection might help if it was on the lateral side of the knee but alexander pointed at the medial side of the knee where needle will go into. Get the pain and catching on the lateral side and think it will reduce the pain but I cant see it making me run again.

Got my 30th Birthday Party today with around 50 people attending so should be a good night sorry once again for my ranting but pleased I finally get treated by an OS.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:16:38 PM by Clarkey »

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2008, 11:23:10 PM »
Hi Nick,

I feel better after this scope than I did the first time round but unfortunately I have been told that it is only a temporary fix  :( and that I will need to have another in the future but I knew that was the way I had to go because it affected my day to day activities so I decided to go for the scope and unfortunately will again in the future.

Unfortunately you will not know what the outcome will be after these scopes sometimes good sometimes not so good.  I will make the most of mine this time round and hopefully it will last a long time this time round.  I have a lot of strenghening to go yet but will getthere in the end.  ;D

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2008, 01:13:53 AM »
Hey Nick,

Sorry I've been MIA for a while.  I've been crazy busy at work and just can't think once I get home.  There were some days I don't think I could have told you what my name was!  We have a new computer system in one of our departments and it just went totally live today.  Wow what a day!  After moving out old equipment and putting in and setting up all the new.  My knee is toast.  I at least came home early today and had a little nap.  So not as tired, but knee still a bit peeved with me.

I hope the injection will help you out.  Even if it does not solve the problem, it may calm it down for a while.  Lots of folks have very good results with steroid injections.  I am not one of those myself, but work with a couple of people that swear by them.  It does seem odd to inject on the opposite side of the pain, but that may be where the worst of the inflammation is.  Bodies can be funny that way, a hip or back problem can cause knee pain etc.

As far as a scope goes, only you can decide if the pain and issues are enough to warrant it.  Like Sue says, you don't always know going in if everything will come out well or not.  It all depends on what they find once they take a look around. 

Hope you had a great party for your birthday!

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.