Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 328922 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Fluid around the Fat Pad!
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi Milly and Sue,

I now have had my last ultrasound therapy yesterday afternoon with Paul my PT. I now have to wait till next week Wednesday 15th October for a final decision on what will happen next. I know what going to happen already Paul with fax Alexander the PT from the Hospital that ultrasound has failed and need further investigation by an OS at least I hope I will be seeing an OS finally.

The NHS system is not very logical as I will have to see Alexander 1st before seeing an OS which will be more time wasted, I think it makes sense for Paul to refer me to see Dr Brown for an injection into the fat pad as Alexander suggested. I have nothing against Alexander as he an excellent PT but at the end of the day he not a OS and can only do so much for me.

Nettan said in a posting reply a few weeks back that I should be seeing one PT rather then seeing 3 which I have seen so far and they really confusing me as they say different things. Alexander said if you at the Gym or doing some PT and you encounter knee pain stop straight away. Paul says the opposite carry on as long as pain has stopped. The 3rd PT I saw was the most useless she thought my knee was going to get better without any form of treatment.

I can take the knee pain but its starting to annoy me now was hurting when I was sitting in car while driving to suffolk and again today when I was sitting on the ride on mower at work. Its knee ache more then pain and when I place hand over the knee it feels rubbery which might be the inflammation.

I hate Hopitals a lot but now feel I need help even if they scope the knee I willl accept it as I want my knee problems sorted sooner rather than lator and its only 9 days till my 1st anniversary when I fell onto my knee while jogging and since then cant run at all.

Sorry for the moan again but getting a little frustrated now as its now almost a year since injury and not even see an OS yet or made any progress with my right knee.

Nick :) {2008} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
Hi Nick,

Too bad the ultrasound hasn't helped.  Isn't insurance so much fun! (NOT!).  I think the NHS works a lot like an HMO over here.  You have to follow the proper path for referrals and what not or you just don't get covered.  ERRGG!  It's frusterating.  It sounds like you are going to get your referral to the OS, just through the round about way.  A scope by itself is not so terrible.  I'm not a big fan of hospitals either so I can appreciate not wanting to go there.  Typically a scope is a day surgery and you can go home that same day.  A year of messing around on an injury is really amazing.  Take care.

Milly

PS.  Sounds like you had a great holiday at your sisters.  Someday I would like to travel to Europe and see places in England, Scotland, Germany and Ireland.  Next summer my in-laws are planning to take their two oldest granddaughters (my daughter is one) to Greece.  I'm jelous a bit, I just couldn't take three weeks off work for fun though.  I'll be taking it off for surgery.  Yipee!  :P  I'd rather travel.  Ah well.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »
Hi again Sue and Milly,

I had my last PT appointment yesterday afternoon and he finally decided that he can no longer help me and will fax a refferal to Alexander to book to see a OS finally  :o

I think the next course of action is a cortisone injection into the inflammed fat pad by Dr Brown who the guy you want to see for an injection as he specialized in giving injections.

I not sure if the injection will be affective as it only mast the pain rather then cure the knee problem. Is there a possibilty that I may need a scope rather then an injection, I am sure Dr Brown could advise me on what the best option for is me.

Alexander said in June chance of surgery is 3 out of 10 I now would say its increased to 5 out of 10. I am 51% certain I might be heading for a scope as they tried all the conservative treatments PT and ultrasound which have not helped me knee at all.

I not going to accept not being able to run ever again as some people suggested as surgery is a big shock for the knee and it never the same again. I hate the idea of having a scope but would be 100% having it done if it improves my quality of life. Could not see a OS and risk my knee getting worse because of negative comments of surgery. This is not a option I feel its time I saw an OS and hope he can get my knee problem sorted finally.

I not too woried about the surgery and the recovery time just the thought of being put to sleep artificially scares me as you dont have control of your body.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »
Hi Nick,

The injection should help with the pain in the meantime whilst you wait for an OS apointment.

Don't worry about being put to sleep if you have a scope I think its the best part.  Unfortunately this time I felt a bit cheated because the pre med knocked me out and I was really looking forward to the anaesthetic.  It is over so quickly the next thing you know they are waking you up.  If I get a chance to go in for surgery again I would love to stay awake for the anaesthetic I think it's the best bit.  The waking ups not to bad but you know there will be pain after the surgery though (the only down side).

Hope you don't have to wait to long to see the OS.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sue, I am sure if I did need a scope its not as bad as people make it out to be. If I was faced with surgery 2 years ago and would run a mile and go no where near a OS or the Hospital. I nearly 30 and matured a lot since then and know IF I did need a scope its for my own benefit and worth being knocked out for a bit if its going to improve my walking and make me run again with less knee pain.

Is it normal to have days or even a week or 2 of not very much knee pain and you under the impression knee must be getting better. I then get days or weeks when I feel the knee pain more regular. Its not been too bad this week and I sure its to do with the weather its been dry and mild this week. When I was staying with my Sister in Suffolk at the start of this month I felt knee pain a lot more because it was cold and damp all week. Its cant be arthritus may just increase the swelling and can then feel more pain. My mum also has days and weeks with not much knee pain while other days she cant walk well with more pain.

I did a posting a few weeks ago about this catching sensation I get in the lateral side of my knee could the plica also be causing me problems. No one replied back, I get pain in the catching area at times thats can be very intense pain at times so sure something going on inside the knee.

The knee still slightly swollen and ultrasound did not reduce it in any way, on Sunday it will be my 1st anniversary of when I fell onto the pavement while jogging and cant run ever since. Is it common not to be able to run with a knee injury as Paul my PT was surprised I cant run and when he said its ok to use the tred mill.

Paul suggested going swimming as well as the gym would you recommend going swimming as well. What is stupid is they dont fax refferal to hospital the same day, Paul said he do it today or monday I saw him on Wednesday.

My very nice Neighbour Jennifer had a knee scope back in August and had LR and says her knee feels a lot better and glad she had a scope. I hear mostly negative comments about knee surgery with people saying try and avoid it if possible.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
Hey Nick,

Most scopes turn out just fine.  Like anything else, you hear about the "bad" ones more.  It's not so bad for the most part.  I'm keen on surgery either, but I will do it if I know it will be better for me in the end.

Catching on the lateral side could be the IT band.  Mine will snap sometimes.  Makes a terrible noise, doen't usually hurt unless it's been snapping a lot.  If something is irritated enough to make the knee swollen at all, it could be whatever is irritated is catching when you try to bend the knee.  Have you mentioned it to your PT?  Do you ice and elevate in the evening?  It may help a bit.

Swimming is good for you, but becareful how you kick.  I tend to frog kick, from my knee, not the hip and the knees get really upset with that.

Hope the shot gives you some relief.  It likely will not be permanent, but even a couple of weeks would be nice eh?  You should get an appointment soon, one would hope.

Take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »
Hi Nick,

Try not to worry like Milly said most scopes turn out fine.  I met a bloke last Saturday who was on his sixth go and he was in high spirits even after that many times.  (hope I don't need to go again).

Swimming is good for you as it takes the pressure off the joints just need to mind what kicks you do like Milly said as you don't want to aggrevate the knee.  I find swimming on my back causes me knee problems.  I will go back swimming when the holes have healed properly.

Also I found I could be pain free for about a week before the pain came back so that is not uncommon but when the pain comes back it reminds you that your knees are still not right.  I could not run after my knee locked for some time and I have been unable to run since March this year but hope to be running again pretty sson LOL  ;D

What you must remember when you read the threads on this site is that every person is different and may have had more work done inside rather than a straight forward scope so try not to worry.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales

Fall from horse 04/04

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
Hi Sue and Milly,

I might be thinking too far ahead as I may not need to have a scope but think its likley as conservative treatments have falied. My family keep saying you might not need a scope but my gut feelings say I will need a scope.

I go to the gym 3 times a week and could also go swimming 2 times a week. I not a very strong swimmer and feel my leg muscles are fairly strong.

Milly interesting about the IT band causing the catching sensation will ask alexander about it when I see him for refferal to see an OS.

I know the knee not better yet even when I have good days or even a good week, pain does come back and is intense at times.

Thanks for your support.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
Hi Milly and Sue,

I not posted here for a while as there was nothing to report but now do have something to post about that you will also see in Laura's thread but want to post here as well to share with you what I encountered during the last few weeks since I last posted on here. I was suppose to get an apppointment with Alexander my PT at the Hospital within 4 weeks after Paul sent a refferal on 15th October. Its been 4 weeks and 3 days and still no letter yet which should have arrived by now.

I am afraid I not made any progress with regards to getting an appointment at the Birmingham ROH. I been trying to speak to someone for the last 3 days but no one answers the phone and Alexander my PT does have is own personal secretary Anita. I made the 1st phone call on Wednesday at about 4:30pm so thought maybe they go home at 4pm. On Thursday phoned again at about 3:30pm 3 times and the 3rd time I left a message saying could Alexander or Anita please call me on my mobile number which I gave regarding an appointment I am waiting for.

On Friday I was waiting all day at work for the phone call and when I finished work at 3pm was worried I got my mobile number wrong on the answer phone message. I went home and rang my mobile number and said number not recognized which was very strange as I know my mobile number of by heart so rang my number again and the same thing happened. I sent a message to one of my Sisters if I got the mobile number wrong but she phoned back and said you given the correct number. I phoned again in the evening and my mobile number was working again.

I left another message again explaining that my mobile line was not working very well and may not have been able to get through to me. I gave my landline number and explained that I not had an appointment date yet thats long overdue and is it possible to get an appointment between 1st and 5th December as I booked that week off as its my Birthday that week. I would then not have to take time of work and get to see Alexander before Christmas so he can reffer me to an OS.

I had problems before with my mobile line and on a contract with 3 and very peed off with what happned as no one could phone me on my moblile and was an important call. The right knee really playing up now with pain most days while working and dont want the OS saying you should have seen me earlier and knee might not be the same again. I been waiting 13 months to see an OS and still not on the way to seeing one and think its about time I did see one ASAP as this has gone on long enough.

If I dont get a phone call on Monday will keep leaving a message until they finally give me a call and will push to get an appointment the 1st week in December. I might be pushy but you have to be as your health is number 1 and you cant mess around with it.

Sorry once again for a whinge but feel this has gone on long enough and nothing seems to be happening.

Nick  :) {2008} :)

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »
Hi Nick,

Sorry things have slowed for you.  I'm sure you will hear from them soon.

I had my OS follow up last monday and the hospital I go to is in England and on their wall in the outpatients department they had the current guidelines from referral to treatment and it is currently an 18 week pathway for routine cases (it is 26 weeks in Wales  :().  What you will have to check with the PT is did he refer you as routine or urgent and that might give you some idea. 

All the best

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »
Hi Sue,

The appointment I am waiting for is to see Alexander the PT and not the OS and should have had an appointment within 4 weeks and is now over 4 weeks. I know that an appointment with an OS takes a lot longer but have to see Alexander 1st before he can refer me to an OS.

Will keep an update on what progress I make with the appointment during the next coming week.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2008, 06:38:05 PM »
Hi Nick,

Sorry misunderstood thought you were waiting for OS appointment.  Nothing worse than waiting for the postman to arrive with the letter.  Hope you manage to get somewhere soon.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
Hi Nick,

Keep trying to contact them.  I can only hope you don't have to wait forever for the OS once you get your referral.  What a system!  Sounds a lot like our worker''s comp here though.  Hurry and wait.

Knees are really unhappy with the weather.  We have some light snow and the companion ice out on the streets.  I definately did not like the ice pond parking lot.  The distance I walk across the lot is about a block or so.  Not fun over ice.  I may just park closer anyway and let them give me a ticket.  A few bucks is better than whacking my knees on the ground again.  At least I think so.

Well got tons of work to get to.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Hi Sue & Milly,

I got a phone call from Alexander yesterday morning just before 8:30am saying that he can fit me in on the 3rd December at 10am which is the week that I asked for an appointment. I was not sure if he said he got the referral from Paul or not as he asked me for the Centre I had my Ultrasound and the name of the PT I saw. If I did not leave the message I would still  be waiting for the appointment and might not have got it till the New Year. Alexanader made out that he could just fit me in during the week I wanted to be seen, so just shows if you keep onto them you get an appointment in the end at a time that suits you.

I think its high time I got this appointment as the last couple of days my right knee pain got worse, I was on the crosstrainer for 20 minutes and the last 2 minutes I got sharp pain on the bottom lateral side of my knee where I get the catching sensation and the same when I went down some steps same type of pain.I have been doing physical work the last 2 weeks on the golf course which must have contributed to the pain I keep getting.

I kind of worried now that I will see an OS and he will want to scope the knee as I have classic symptoms for the OS to take a good look inside the knee. I know that its for my benefit but I a little worried about the prospect of surgery as I never had any in my lifetime so far.

At least I making some progress at last and on the way to seeing an OS.

Milly sorry you are having even more problems with your knee due to the cold weather, can you get a disabled badge for your car so you can park close to the stores or dont you have this system in the USA. Are your knees bad enough that you can get access to a a disabilty parking permit?

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »
Sorry to jump in here but I'm a new fat pad'er and so many of the issues on this thread sound like what I'm going through.  Help!  Feel free to send me a private message if you want so I don't hijack this thread.  (Oops, sorry, I already did). 

I'm one year postop from ACL/PLC recon and having new issues of knee swelling and catching.  MRI shows no tears anywhere but progressive extensive scarring around fat pad.  OS tells me fat pad inflammation should go away and I just need to strengthen, strengthen, strengthen.  He's not a big fan of cortisone but will do it if I ask.  He's telling me to do bicycling/swimming.  So basically my questions are:

Should I exercise more or am I making it worse?
How did you resolve your fat pad issues?  Did it resolve?
Is OS right that I just need to strengthen to stop my problem?

Nick, I just read through most of this thread and you are struggling through so much trying to get answers.  I'm glad you are finally getting somewhere and have an appointment lined up.  Forgive me for hijacking.  I'm interested to see how you make out.   

Thanks for any assistance.  Hope you all have better fat pad days to come!

Lenore
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:02:43 PM by lenorem9 »
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"