Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 304419 times)

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
Re: Nick's Fat Pad Saga!
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2009, 01:24:30 AM »
Hey Nick,

As I said to Farrah, sorry I've been so busy and exhausted that I haven't had time to look at some of your threads. I'm so glad you heard from Alexander and you have a consultation with the OS. Yay!!

Don't worry about what the barber said. I've never heard of an adult being too young to have a scope. That was a silly thing for him to say.

Also, yes, you'll read on here that some KGs had a scope and didn't need it after all, but Mr. Green seems like a true expert, so he would not do one if it wasn't necessary :) So please don't worry, k?

i agree with Lenore not to worry about your "good" knee for now. It will naturally have some problems b/c it's taking the brunt of your weight (you're using it more than the "bad" leg). So, it will be affected somewhat, but I'm sure it will improve once you get your "bad" knee fixed up :) I have already tried reassuring you about GA on the Lenella thread (or was it Facebook? I don't remember, lol). I had my surgery in the early morning. Like Allie said, that would help. I arrived at 6am and by 7:30am I was on my way to surgery. Maybe they can also give you a little something (especially if you have to wait a while at the hospital...IF you need surgery...i'm only saying IF) to help you calm down.  Nothing extreme, but I know they have drugs that can be inserted through your IV to help you calm down (b/c i'm sure they often deal with patients who get really anxious and need something to help them relax a bit).

So how has it been being back at work this week? has your boss been nicer to you? or is he the same as he always has been? Make sure you don't let him or anyone else try to make u feel as though you're wasting your time seeing an OS, etc, etc. You're doing the right thing. And it's not in your head :)

It was funny when you mentioned how Jinny said maybe dont' tell us KG friends about your consultation. It was funny b/c Martin knows how much you mean to me (all of you guys) and that i come on here almost daily. So I always tell him about my KG friends, and he knows that if i ask to use the computer, that i'll first go to Knee Geeks, lol. It's just funny that many of our close family and even friends might ask about our KG friends, or mention them, etc. I think that's so cool!

Nick, have you ever heard of someone who has had all of the symptoms you described, who benefited from an injection? I'm just wondering. I know you said your mum had one and felt better, and someone else did. But what were their symptoms? I cannot imagine that their symptoms were anywhere near the ones you've been describing (and for 16 months). So that's why I have a feeling you might end up needing a scope. I know you're scared of GA, but if you are told you need a scope, Mr. Green knows his stuff and you'll feel better after you have it done. If you do need one, afterwards I can just picture you saying "well that wasn't so bad!". :D

I luckily had a very nice OS. Lenore and others have had their share of robots and ones with attitude, etc. That's just horrible. And it makes me sad when I hear of friends having to deal with such uncaring docs :(

Ok, gotta go! I hope you have a great weekend. Any exciting plans? Curry perhaps? ttys!!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
Hi All again,

The weekend arrived and have had a positive week so far with a call from Alexander saying I am going to see a OS finally. Nevella it was another Sister that said dont tell the KG just yet you are seeing an OS, Jinny all for it posting on KG. I only told one guy so far at work I will be seeing an OS as the others dont really think I have a knee problem. My Boss had a moan at me for taking too long to rake the bunkers but I had more bunkers to do then the other greenkeeper and cant walk as fast as him but did not say this to my Boss as he would say something nasty about the knee problems being in my head so best not to mention it to him.

I have to agree with you about having a scope I am 55% certain I will now at this stage I know everyone says IF you have a scope including myself but what else can the OS do at this stage as they dont think I will benefit from an injection and ultrasound did not help me and going to the gym not helping so other options are running out now. From reading members posts about thier knee problems and knowing people that have had a scope some of them had a less knee problem then me as they could still run and walk faster then me but got pain inside the knee. My right knee limiting me in activitiies and get really annoyed when my freind jake goes jogging and I cant and would like to jog again if I can from the help of the OS I see.

My Barber female and likes a good chat and gossip and a lovely person and see her at my local cricket club in the summer. I am not really going to take her advise about if I did need a scope dont go for it as I going to do what every the OS says. I just guess what the OS he will say but myself and my Jinny think I have tracking problems with the knee as it did say on 1st scan kneecap at low end of normal which is where the fat pad is so will keep catching the kneecap if the kneecap too low. I have maltracking in both knees and feel the pain and catching on the lateral side and feel it on the left knee in same area but not as bad as the right. The left knee somtimes feels like its clicking into place with a loud click and when I 1st saw Alexander he mentioned LR of the left knee but feel he wrong as is not that bad so hope its not on the OS's notes.

I not mentioned this before but have a large lump on my tibia passed the kneecap towards bottom of leg and sometimes hurt after activity but pain not too bad most of the time. I did have an xray done in 2003 but nothing came of it. I am woundering if I should get the OS to look at this lump so he can take an xray to see if its got any larger as I mght as well make use of the consultation and best to get it checked out as it may be nothing to worry about but best to get it seen to while I have the chance. I woundering if this is the excessive bone that Paul the other PT mentioned is not in the right knee? but my tibia in my leg,  as Alexander did not mention it to me too much bone in the knee.

I am not worried too much about my left knee as you all suggested but might as well get the OS to look at it at the same time as the right because the last OS I saw examined both my knees. I think he will look at both anyway its good to compare both knees and a good OS always checks both knees.

Lets hope I get a nice OS when I finally see one.

Nick  :) {2009}  :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »
Nick,  sound like you need to make a list of all your knee issues with both knees and present all of it to OS when you see him.  You've got a lot going on.  He is the professional and he will decide what you need or don't need.  It also helps to type up a history of what has been going on.  Like what pains you got when and what caused them.  It may help him determine a course of action.  The longer this goes on the harder it is to remember dates and events with your knee.  Just a suggestion.

Have a great weekend!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:37 PM »
Hi Lenore,

Good advise as usual and have already written a list of symtoms of my right and left knee and will add what makes the pain worse as its good to be well prepared before seeing and OS. This lump I have might be the fibula not too sure its on the side behind the calf muscles of the right leg had it since I was a kid but would like to have another xray done just to see if its got any bigger or its the same size since last xray back in 2003. The 1st OS spotted the lump did not tell him about it, he just happned to notice it after examination of the right knee.

Nick :) {2009} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
Hey Nick,

I'm glad you're making a list of symptoms, as Lenore suggested. You definitely should ask the OS anything and everything that is of concern to you about your knee. And that includes your left one.  the OS gets paid big bucks, so you are entitled to get answers to all of your questions. And he sounds like a nice one. Like he won't just rush you, or tell you what's wrong without even examining you ( can't believe when some KGs write that they wait to see an OS and don't even get a proper examination  >:()

ok, gotta to. ttys!
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
Hi All,

At my sisters house having roast beef and yorkshire pudding with veg and roasted potatoes so dont have too cook and can use the internet. I am not a hydrocondriac but feel that now I am on the way to seeing an OS can ask him to look at this lump on my tibula/fibula? as I see no harm asking his opinion and might as well get it looked at while I with him after all he is an OS and knows all about joint and bone problems. I noticed it when I was a kid and just want to check if its gone bigger since the last xray back in 2003 and if it going to be a potential problem in the future. It might be harmless and may be nothing to worry about but does hurt at times and did not do this a in 2003 when I had the xray done. Any advise would be appreciated as I said before its took so long to see an OS might as well tell him about the growth/lump.

Nevella you asked me on FB if I have to pay for the consultation. I dont its free as I using the NHS thats free as we pay national insurance out of our wages that pays for the NHS.

I added some more things to the list to show the OS and will try to paste it onto my thread soon to see what you think. Enjoy Sunday everyone take care and enjoy the start of the new week.

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2009, 01:03:08 AM »
that's great that the consultation is free. Yay!!!

what is yorkshire pudding again? I could Google it, but I'm sure a UKer like yourself can explain it better :)

Yes, you should ask the OS about your tibula/fibula. It's not like you can go back next week to ask him the rest of your questions. you must make use of this visit to ask him all questions :)

it was fun chatting with you today online, even if just for a bit. at least i know now that my phone's IM works. Yay!!

nite nite!
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
Hi All,

Less then a day till I ring up Alexander and will phone him up during my break at 9:30am but wont be able to talk to him but he might phone me up during his lunch break or just before 5pm as he did when he left the message. I can get on the internet at 7pm so should be able to tell you guys what going to happen and hope something does happen and not get told I cant be helped.

I felt the some knee pain a little on the medial side at work today and not been too bad the last few days but do feel the sharp intense pain at times so know knee not right. This lump on the tibula/fibula was also hurting today but never mentioned it before till last week, but am now as I am on the way to seeing an OS.

What I cant understand is why the OS's decided to give the injection in the 1st place and then change thier minds and say it wont help me. They could have saved time by not sending me to Mr James for injection when its not going to help me out.

Going to the gym after using the internet in the library keep my quads nice and strong incase I did need a scope and would recover a lot better with stronger quads.

Dont know much about yorkshire puddings never made any and buy it from the supermarket ready made.

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
Can't wait to see what Alexander says.  I don't think he'll say he can't help you.  If he has been consulting more than 1 OS and asking lots of questions he's on a mission to get answers for you.  It won't be long now. 

Good idea keeping those quads strong Nick.  It will help you so much no matter what.  Do some squats for me will ya?

Have a great day!
05/09  MUA

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »
Hey Nick,

Glad you are getting the appointment with the OS.  I don't think it would hurt to have him check out both knees.  A good OS will anyway like others have said.  You can ask about the lump on your shin.  Just ask "does this have anything to do with my knee problems?".
Good luck.

Nevella -
The Dr. Quinn show was what I was remembering.  With all the dental work I've had...double YIKES!!!
Don't worry about the scope, the barber just cuts your hair, not really competent to give medical advice.  Even though in times past they were!  Yikes!  They were the dentist too.  Scary or what?! 
lol, i just had to comment on this. I still watch episodes of Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. And there is the odd episode that shows someone needing dental work done and they go see the barber. that always makes me cringe! I've had 3 root canals and couldn't imagine having to get my tooth yanked out with plyers and no novocane. Or i've seen the old-school drills where someone has to step on a pedal to make it vibrate, but it of course never vibrated very quickly (holy pain, Batman!).

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »
Hey guys!

Milly, that's too funny! I'm watching Dr. Quinn right now! Lol!

Nick, only 1 more sleep until your consultation! Yippee!! :) good luck!

You're funny about the pudding. Even though you buy it ready made, i just wondered what it looked like. Isn't it NOT actually pudding at all? Like a bread? Oh well. I won't lose sleep over it, ahaha!

-July '07-soccer injury

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »
Hi guys, Nick doesn't have time to get on KG's right now but he posted a quick message on Facebook.  Alexander told him he doesn't need an injection and he doesn't need to see any OS.  He's very upset and depressed.  If you could send him a quick FB message I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.  He only has his mobile with him. 

So sorry Nick.  Just remember you can still pay on your own and see Dr. Green anyway if you still want to. 
05/09  MUA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »
Hi All,

As you can see from Lenore post things have not gone the way I was hoped, I rang up Alexander at 9:30am this morning and no one answered so left a message asking Alexander to give me a call on my mobile when he has some spare time to discuss what the OS has decided. I got a phone call from Alexander at around 12pm while on the golf course and told me the OS's looked at my MRI scan and thought there no point in operating on the knee and will have to go back to see Alexander on the 24th March which is 3 weeks today in the morning so he can examine my right knee again.

Alexander was ok to me on the phone but said jokinly you are causing me a few problems with your knee as he finding it hard to sort out the knee problem. I have to be honest with you guys, I feeling very pissed off and depressed about this whole knee saga as I really thought I would be seeing an OS finally only to be told I wont be seeing one anymore. That light at the end of the tunnel has dimmed and tunnel got even longer.

I know that I am not imaganing the knee pain as I clearly cant run anymore and just found out again cant walk fast when a school kid overtook me on way to the Library. My Sister that lives local just phoned me up and said are you ok and told her I am fine as she one the ones that thinks I dont really have a knee problem along with my Boss and many other. I know she was right when she told me dont tell the KG members you are seeing an OS yet as you might not end up seeing one but I really thought I would be seeing one.

Alexander said in his message on Thursday that I be seeing an OS now, well his words was a bone/joint Doctor wants to see me now and to phone him up on Tuesday. I thought something was going to happen such as a scope or another type of injection and could have told me on his message on Thursday that I dont need a scope and will be seeing him again for another assesment. I think its the 5th or 6th time I will be seeing Alexander and rather be seeing an OS right now as its coming up to 17 months since my fall and still nothing happened to sort out the problem and feeling down in the dumps about it.

I thinking that it might be good to see my GP that I get on really well with and ask him if I can see an OS such as Mr Green rather then Alexander as I think I have a good reason to see an OS now. Am I going crazy in the head just because I have AS and the knee problem is an obcession and my right knee fine? I feel pain and catching on the lateral side of the knee and now get pain on the medial side and bottom of kneecap.

I thought that all the OS's that saw my MRI scan and knee symptoms would have done something about it rather then just leaving it as it is. I have to be honest the knee pain not been too bad the last 2 weeks just the odd sharp pain but then get days when I feel more knee pain more often. I get days when I think I dont have a knee problem with very little pain and days when I know I have a knee problem.

Sorry guys for moaning and groaning but not in a good mood and starting to get depressed by my whole knee issue and not good for my AS. I had a breakdown in 2004/05 due to stress so this knee saga not really helping me out mentally.

Nick >:( {2009} :(

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:50:37 PM by Clarkey »

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
Hey Nick,

I think you are correct that you should get with your GP and see if he will give you a referral.  At least it would give you some peace of mind to see an OS.  Let him know about all the run around you've been getting as well.  I know if it were me, I'd be flaming mad.  I would think that your GP should be able to send you to a specialist since the normal route is not getting you anywhere.  You still have the option of paying for a private consult (even thought this may be a bit expensive).  After everything, I think you are intitled to a moan or more than that.  Knee stuff can certainly make you feel like you are going bonkers.  For years my knees wouldn't swell when they were bad off, so noone believed me either.  Keep trying with your GP.  Good luck.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
Hi All,

I had a chat with Jinny my sister who the Nurse and told her what happened today with Alexander and she said its ridiculous that I am not seeing an OS yet and said if she could would let me see her OS at the Hospital she works at but you need to live in that area to get treated and seen by an OS. Its is a long way to go and see an OS 180 miles but thats nothing compared to Lenore trip to see Noyes.

Jinny thinks its a waste of time seeing Alexander as he only a Physio at the end of the day and not an OS. I thinks it not very professional of the OS's that seen my scan to say my knee is fine and dont need to see any of them. I have not had my knee looked at by an OS, so how can they make out my knee fine as I did fall down onto the pavement with a lot of force and most have done some damage to the knee. Jinny says that a fall like mine most have damaged the knee as I cant run or walk fast and feel pain and would have healed by now but clearly its not healing by its self.

Jinny and myself have come to the conclusion that I should see my GP ASAP as I get on well with him and tell him my concerns and that I would like to see an NHS OS rather then seeing Alexander on the 24th March who will have no choice but to send me to see an OS. We both said he not an OS at the end of the day and cant keep seeing him again and again as nothing seems to happen

The 2nd option would be to go private and see Mr Oliver Schindler at the Droitwich Knee Clinic who one of the best OS's in the UK and maybe even Europe and would do something about my knee problem. What do you guys think should I be seeing one of the top OS's in the UK at a top UK Knee Clinic with my type of knee problems as he just as good as Noyes in the States.

http://www.kneeclinics.co.uk/clinical-team/mr-schindler-cv/

I am feeling better now, as I had a good chat to Jinny who still thinks I do have a knee problem and its not in my head.