Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nick's FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR 3in1 Diary  (Read 302191 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Nick's Fat Pad Saga!
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
Hi Lenore,

You are always right with what your suggestions and need to learn to be more pushy and will leave Alexander a message tonight as this has gone on long enough and hope its not too late to see an OS such as Mr Green

My main concern is having a GA if they did decide to scope the knee as I know it wont be a nice experience and have bad memories of GA at the dentist as a chiild when having teeth extracted with gas but know they would inject the GA instead of using sleeping gas. I admit that part scares me but the actual surgery if I was to have one, I am ok about as I know its for my own benefit.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Hi Nick,

GA is much better than what they may have used at the dentist.  The only bad things I get are a very dry mouth and a really funny taste.  These go away pretty soon.  At most I remember the mask going on then the next thing I'm in recovery.  Just make sure to follow directions and not eat or drink as indicated.  Anything in your stomach can make you feel sick.  Sometimes people get sick anyway, but they can give you meds to help with that.  It's really not that bad to have GA.  Don't let is frighten you too much.  If you do have a scope, you can ask to talk to the antesthesia doc and tell him your concerns and explain about the AS.  That should help a bit too.  Good luck with your phone calls.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
Hi Nick,

I totally agree with Milly defo better than the dentist.  I actually love the anaesthetic.  I try to see how long I can fight the feeling but its only a matter of seconds then I'm gone then it feels like a few minutes later and you are waking up in recovery.

Nothing to worry about they do a complete health check before you have it to see if you are fit for a GA

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
Nick,

GA will be a piece of cake.  For me I had the drugs (whatever they used) fed to my body directly through my IV. I dont' remember getting any sort of tube or mask, etc. Maybe it's all just a blur, lol. But I went to sleep within seconds, and then woke up. As people said, the worse you might have is dry mouth, or maybe even the shakes b/c your body feels cold, or some people even throw up. But it's not anything to be too scared about. I usually worry about everything, but this time I just put it out of my mind :)

how was the rest of your day?

I'm on messenger and have tried to send you a message. It shows you're online, but you're not answering me. How rude! ahaha!! Just kidding :)
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2009, 12:01:46 AM »
I'm always right with my suggestions?  Oh, see?  I knew I loved you for a reason Nick.  I'm not always right but thanks for saying that my fat pad twin. 

I just see you suffering and want you to feel better.  The only way you're going to get there is to fight the fight like we all have.  It's not fun but being in pain and having your life limited is worse.

GA is nothing Nick.  The drugs they have these days are phenomenal.  They put you out, you wake up and it's like nothing ever happened.  No dopey feelings, nothing.  They've got some pretty good stuff now.  I always ask them for anti nausea meds too because anesthesia makes me sick.  I don't mind being knocked out at all anymore.
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2009, 03:07:43 AM »
Hey Nick,

Dropping in to say hi !

That sucks that Alexander hasn't called you back. You need to see your GP to get that referral so you can organise a private appointment with a OS through the NHS. When are you going to do it ? Sorry, going to nag until you do it. Unless you start being more pushy you're not going to get any answers. It's a fact, but sad.

Don't worry about a GA, it will be a piece of cake. They are so much better these days.

Not trying to scare you, but if you don't get on to you knee it will be much more difficult to fix. Chronic problems are so much harder to fix than if you get onto it straight away.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »
Hey Nick,

Just so you know, it seems that when i'm on Messenger on my blackberry, it is not properly sending messages or receiving them from friends on my list. So when i was trying to message you, you weren't getting my messages, lol. So i dont' want you worrying about that :)

i'll figure it out soon enough:)

hope you have a great day!
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
Hi All,

Not got time to read through your responses as I only got 20 minutes on the library internet so will try and fit what I can into the posting.

I phoned up Alexander yesterday afternoon and got through to Anita again and asked why Alexander not contacted me yet as my right knee getting worse and would like him to call me back. I went to the gym for 2 hours yesterday and during that time Alexander phoned my mobile and left me a message saying that he has spoke to Mr James and other OS's about my knee problem and the symtoms I keep getting and they decided not to go ahead with cortisone injection based on what they have found. Alexander said he arranged that I see an OS as he wants to have a consultation with me discuss what to do next. Alexander away untill tuesday next week but has told me to phone him up again to discuss what going to happen next on Tuesday when he back as he away until then. Alexander apologized for not phoning me up earlier but had to discuss my right knee with some OS's.

I had my haircut yesterday afternoon and told my barber about my knee injury and she said she fell onto her knee and could not run and had a cortisone injection by mr james and helped her straight away and could run again and had no problems since. Same with my mum she had a cortisone injection and her knee now a lot better then it was before the injection. I dont know wht mr james and the other OS's wont inject my knee as that may well work for me as I now got a feeling they may well want to scope the knee as cant think what else they can do. My Barber said dont have a scope if the OS suggests it as I am too young to have one but told Jinny and she told me a scope nothing to worry about as she knows many young people that have had a successful scope.

One of my sisters was funny about it saying dont tell the members on KG that you seeing an OS as it might not happen but Alexander said I will be seeing a OS, well he said joint and bone doctor would like to see me which is good as I no longer need to see Alexander and on the way to see the OS. My time run out now sorry if there are spelling and grammer mistakes not got time to read my posting will be back at around 7pm.

Nick :) {2009} :)

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »
Well Nick,

Now it sounds like you are getting somewhere.  The docs may not want to inject cortizone because they don't feel it will help with your symptoms.  Sometimes a fall just irritates everything and the shot works great.  I think you've had a lot going on with the knee.  Ask Alexander about it when you talk to him next week.  You could even ask the OS (when you see him/her) if one would be of benefit for some temporary relief.  Don't worry about the scope, the barber just cuts your hair, not really competent to give medical advice.  Even though in times past they were!  Yikes!  They were the dentist too.  Scary or what?! 

It sounds like Alexander is trying to get things going for you and assist you.  It's a good sign that he is talking to several OS's about the problem.  Sounds like he thinks there is something to the pain etc.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »
Hi All,

Got a bit more time to post now so can take my time now and dont need to rush anymore, I thinking so much about what the OS will do that I drove the wrong library just now but not far from the library I was ment to go to so not lost too much time.

I dont know why the OS that saw my scan in the 1st place suggested a cortisone injection when they now decided best not to so why did they not say that injection wont help in the 1st place rather then letting me wait for months before I see an OS. I know Alexander said that a senior OS saw my scan as they dont often see an inflammed fat pad like mine very often and fairly unique. The team of OS's at the hospital seem to be taking an interest in my knee condition and thought just 1 would look at my scan but seem to have a few of them looking at my scan as Alexander told them the symptoms I keep getting and says I cannot run or walk well due to the fall back in October 2007.

I told most of my sisters about what going to happen and most apart from one stupid comment are pleased for me. One of my sisters said dont tell KG members you are seeing an OS yet as you might not end up seeing one when Alexander clearly arranged for me to see an OS. I think she got advise from a Junior Doctor when I was ment to get the injection as Mr James was too busy to chat to my sister saying my MRI scan was normal when its clearly not otherwise would not have so many OS's thinking what the best course of treatment is needed to fix my right knee.

I dont mind if I dont see MR Green as I trust Alexander choice of OS as he knows I have AS and might reffer me to a nice OS thats caring and understanding. I want my knee sorted and be annoyed if the OS said I have to live with my knee problems. My gut feelings now is maybe will need a scope and prepared for it now and cant see what else they can do at this stage as they think an injection wont help me and Alexander said the next option is a scope but up to me if I want it or not.

As for having a GA I am ok about it, I think? but I know that if they did operate would be a nervous weck before going into OT/OR. Jinny told me they give you meds before the GA to calm your nerves and give you oxygen when you are asleep and not sleeping gas, they then give you meds to wake you up after surgery. I am ok about an injection to go to sleep but will tell them not to give me sleeping gas but can discuss this with the antesthesia doc as Milly suggested.

Its seems like the Hospital will do something now and wont bother going private anymore as the Birmingham NHS ROH is one of the top UK Orthopaedic Hospitals in the UK with very good OS's working there so I know I am in good hands and the staff there so far have been really nice to me.

My left knee starting to hurt on the lateral side in same area as right with slight grinding but not as bad as the right should I get the OS to look at left knee as well?

There light at the end of the tunnel at last and should be on the way to getting my right knee fixed, I hope?

Nick  :) {2009} :)

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »
Hey Nick,  great news you are making some progress.  I know you'll get some answers finally.  It's great Alexander has more than one person taking a look at your knee. 

As far as asking about your other knee...my opinion goes back and forth on this.  I have a similar problem.  Both knees are bad but right now I'm more worried about the op knee.   I found out when I went to Noyes that if you go to a good surgeon he will ask you about BOTH knees and make comparisons between them.  He's the first one that has done that.  I've decided not to pursue the other knee until I get the worst one straightened out.  Only you can decide how bad the other knee is and if you want to address both at the same time.  You can always mention it and see what he says.  It may be something as simple as just added stress on that knee because of your bad one.   

07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:41 AM »
Hi Nick,

Glad to hear you are making some progress. About time Alexander did something !!!

Lenore is right, good surgeons will look at both knees. Mine always does as does my sports physician.

My best advice is to just deal with one knee at a time. My knee surgeon won't touch my right knee until my left knee is out of the woods. Doing two at once would be double the pain and not recommended that often.

Bring on Tuesday !!!
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »
Hey Nick
Good news about Alexander and your OS appointment.  I think that everyone needs an Alexander (someone that is on their side and will try to do anything they can to help them)
I am glad to hear that Alexander has said that they will consider a scope for your knee, just please make sure you understand exactly what they will do in the scope and how it will help before they do it. (I am just very cautious cos I had a scope that was not in fact needed and did no good)
If you are nervous about the GA I found that the worst time was waiting to go to surgery, perhaps you could speak to the hospital at the time and ask for an early surgery slot if possible so you are not waiting around for a long time and getting more anxious.  My scope op in Korea wasn't until 1pm so waiting all morning wasnt much fun for me.  I was allowed to listen to music on my ipod until right when I went into surgery so that helped me too, I dont know if they would allow that in this country.
I wouldn't worry too much about your good knee but I would suggest that you do some knee strengthing exercises with that leg especially at the moment, i dont know if you already do this but a physio once told me it was really important to do that.
Great to hear that you feel better and have a light at the end of the tunnel.
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies and support and looking forward in a way to hear what Alexander has to say about my right knee on Tuesday. I might not need a sope but feel he may say I will need one as that what he said would happen next if injection does not work. I wounder why they cant try an injection as its seems to have help some people I know rather then going for a scope thats looks like its going to happen now.

I said I like to see a nice OS, as I seen 3 so far in 2003/04 and the 1st was a nice south african and we chatted about cricket and what I do on the golf course, the 2nd OS was dredful as he did not say a word and came across as a jerk, the last one I saw nearly 5 years ago was really nice called me Nick asked me about my job as a greenkeeper and made me feel at ease. Some OS's you get to see are too serious and are like robots and dont say much to you so its nice when you get a OS thats more down to earth and easy to talk to.

Does it look as if I will have a scope at this stage or will the OS tell me to live with it. I like to be able to run again if I can and hope one of the OS's that duscussed my right knee will be willing to treat me.

I dont need to do the excercise the PT gave me as my flexion is good from going to the gym that has built up my quads a lot so PT side ok. I think its helped going to the gym get a lot less pain then I did before going to the gym and good to have strong leg muscles if I did end up with a scope.

Nick :) {2009}  :)

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2009, 01:13:06 AM »
Don't worry about the scope, the barber just cuts your hair, not really competent to give medical advice.  Even though in times past they were!  Yikes!  They were the dentist too.  Scary or what?! 
lol, i just had to comment on this. I still watch episodes of Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. And there is the odd episode that shows someone needing dental work done and they go see the barber. that always makes me cringe! I've had 3 root canals and couldn't imagine having to get my tooth yanked out with plyers and no novocane. Or i've seen the old-school drills where someone has to step on a pedal to make it vibrate, but it of course never vibrated very quickly (holy pain, Batman!).
-July '07-soccer injury