Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nick's 3in1 Diary FatPadTrim, Medial plica/Distal patella excision, AIR x2, LMR  (Read 279162 times)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Fluid around the Fat Pad!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
Good luck with the ultrasound appointment.  I hope this sorts the knee out for you.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »
Thanks Milly for wishing me good luck on Wednesday, would be great if it did work but still sceptical about the whole thing. My Brother in law had swelling and pain in his knee and had a MRI scan and it came back normal and had a cortisone injection which only helped for about a month but returned. Had another MRI scan a few weeks lator and the scan showed up a meniscus tear and will be having a scope very soon.

I just think the fall was very hard and surpised it never did damage inside the knee and if knee was ok would be no swelling and would be able to run and walk ok clearly something gone wrong if you fallen on it twice onto a hard surface. MRI scans are not 100% reliable as I found out with my brother in law and from other postings on this website.

One positive thing knee pain less since doing PT and going to the Gym but pain still there at times.

Nick :) {2008} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
As there is an inflammed fat pad there is a problem. Take one thing at a time Nick.
You can never compare to someone else. Best of luck tomorrow.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »
Hi Nick,

Hope your appointment goes well today.  I hope there is some relief.  It may take a few sessions to see any difference though.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
I went to the appointment on time thinking I was going to have ultra sound only to find out I having another knee assesment and will not be getting any ultra sound. The PT was not the best PT compared to the 2 other PT's I saw and all she did was try to feel the fat pad area where I get pain and she couldnt find the area of pain as the PT at Hospital did. I could squat and raise my legs fine and told her I go to the gym 3 times a week. I was then told by her my knee problem not a priority and will have to wait around 6 to 8 weeks for 1st appointment as I can still go to work and pain is not bad enough to get priority on the waiting list.

I left the PT feeling very frustrated and angry as I was messed around when it took 12 weeks for my very 1st PT appointment as they never recieved my refferal letter. The PT may be right in a way can work with my knee problems but its now almost 10 months since my fall and I still not recieved my 1st treatment if it does take another 8 weeks would bring it up to 1 year since the fall which is bad as it should have never have taken this long. I saw my GP the 1st week in January for a PT appointment and still now not really making any progress.

I cant understand why another PT had to do another assesment when Alexander the very good PT found out my knee problem and said would be booked in for ultra sound and should get an appointment within 6 weeks, I got a appointment within 3 weeks and was a waste of time. The 3 weeks waiting could have gone towards my 1st ultra sound appointment so wasted 3 weeks of waiting and should have had ultra sound straight away as Alexander alreay done my assesment and reccomeneded having ultra sound so why have another assesment its a wasted appointment and someone else could have had my appointment and they wounder why there such a long waiting list for appointments on the NHS. One simple reason is they have to many of the same appoinments.

The thing that really peed my of about the PT I saw yesterday when she said my fat pad problem might get better within the next 8 weeks and might be able to cancell my ultra sound. Its been bad for the last 10 months and cant see it suddenly getting better as it needs some form of treatment and ulltra sound the 1st option.

I then returned back to work and my Boss gave me a hard time saying I having too much time off work with my knee problem then had the cheek to point at his head suggesting the knee problems are all in my head and will have to do overtime to make up for lost time. Its called flexi hours but I thinks its unfair to make me work overtime for a medical appointment which is a health issue and shoudnt have to work longer hours. I returned from my breakdown on the 6th February 2006 and not had a single sick day and moans when I go for knee appointments.

Sorry for such a long moaning & posting but think its bad that its taking so long to sort out my fat pad problem.

Nick >:( {2008} >:(
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
Sheesh, of course this PT should have been able to give you the ultrasound treatment right away.
I would call back to Alexander and say what happened and get him as PT instead. That would be the best if you like to have him.
I don't know why you have different ones all the time. I have the same one always.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »
Hey Nick,

What a crock!  Is this the same place that did the first assessment?  If it is, the ultrasound treatment should have been in your chart.  Geez!  I think you have every right to be ticked off.  As Nettan said, give them a call back or call Alexander and let them know what happened. 

As for your boss, what a jerk.  Often others don't understand knee problems.  If all you have missed work for are the appointments for your knee, I don't think he has much to gripe about.  You would be amazed at how many people think knee pain is in your head.  I sometimes think that the darn thing needs to have the kneecap hanging out by a thread or something.   >:(  I'm sorry the knee doesn't look "sick" enough!  Good grief.

I hope you get the ultra sound back on the agenda as soon as possible.  I think you are right, if it were going to just get better, it would have by now. 

Take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
Hi Nettan and Milly,

Nettan it might be a good idea to ring up Alexander on Monday morning but he might not remember me as he see so many Patients daily. I want 3 weeks off the 8 week wait as I wasted the 3 weeks only to have another assesment.

Milly I went to another Hospital for my latest knee assesment but was not impressed with the PT I saw. I felt as if she was making out that I dont really have a knee problem and ultra sound might not be needed if by some miracle it does fix it self within the next 8 weeks which it wont. I had to point to where I get the pain a clicking/catching and she could feel the clicking so fat pad problem still there.

It did say on letter knee assesment but thought they would do ultra sound straight after assesment.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
You do right in calling Alexander. Even if he has a lot of patients he probably have notes of you and will remember after reading.
Confidence and trust with the PT you have is A and O for a good outcome.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
Yes I agree with you Nettan it would be a good idea to phone up Alexander as I fully trust the guy as he was the only PT who spotted the fat pad problem. I stupidly said to the useless PT last week knee pain is less since PT and going to the gym. I was wrong to say this as the pain still comes and goes and was worse today.

Sometimes the pain is so bad that it feels like a trapped nerve as pain goes up the side of my leg up to my hip and dont think its getting better as the latest PT thought and do need to try ultra sound sooner rather then lator.

Its hard for me to contact Alexander as he works during my work time and cant afford to use my mobile and dont like to use the works phone. My Mum says she happy to phone his secretary up and ask to hurry the ultra sound as I am starting to get annoyed with the pain and not being able to run or walk at a good steady pace. I am a priority as I have been waiting 10 months for my 1st treatment after they messed me around with my 1st PT appointment I should be on top of the list for thier mistake by losing my referal letter.

Nick  :) {2008} :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:10:09 PM by Clarkey »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
Sorry if I keep on going on about my fat pad problem, today I checked my phone messages and received a message on Monday from Paul the 1st PT I saw who found out I have maltraking. On his message he said he recieved a letter from the knee triage clinic to have more PT done and to phone him up for an appointment. I phoned him today but did not speak to him but another PT and she said the next avialable appointment is the 15th September at 3:30pm.

I now worried that the PT I saw on the 13th August has cancelled my ultra sound and given me a new PT appointment at the 1st centre I went to. Alexander strongly reccomends ultra sound so the PT I saw last week wednesday cant overule him.

I might be jumping the gun and alexander may have reffered me for PT and ultra sound but to put my mind at ease will go to the PT centre myself and asked if I still having ultra sound and if they could hurry the ultra sound appointment.

Today was strimming at work and my right knee did not like it had pain on and off for most of the day and is not just a little pain its fairly intense pain that I dont want to put up with for the next few weeks while waiting for the ultra sound. Pain before was dull ache but its a lot worse now and worried I might be doing some damage to the inside of my knee just because of the pain I am getting know as it cant be doing any good.

I cant see more PT helping as I doing well at the gym and muscles are a lot sronger now but the PT I will be seeing Paul is also a good PT. I will wait now till Setember 1st and if I still not got a date for ultra sound will phone up paul as he less busy then alexander and ask if he could hurry the ultra sound. At the moment it feels like I hitting a brick wall and not progressing in any way.

One good thing I got my insoles made for my flat feet that might ease the knee and hip pain.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »
Hi Nick,

Sounds like you are finally getting the PT underway (sort of).  Sometimes it's up to you to get the treatment you need.  At least you have an appointment lined up.  Sorry the knee was so pissy about work.  Ice it down for a few tonight.  That might help.  Hope you get an appointment sooner.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »
Went over with my Mum to the 1st PT centre I went to and asked to speak to Paul who delt with me in the past but he was away today so spoke to another PT. We asked if they have ultra sound facilities at the centre and thankfully they do have ultra sound equipment. I still not sure if I will be having ultra sound or another assesment on 15th Septmber with Paul. I will phone him up on Tuesday morning and ask if he will do ultra sound straight away or just another assesment. If he says another assesment will tell him its a waste of time as I had 3 already and its the fat pad that needs treating and ask him to the the ultra sound instead.

Its all very confussing as I cant understand why I saw another PT at another Hospital last week who said they do ultra sound at the Hospital but may have to wait a while. What might happen is I get 2 ultra sound appointments but will accept the ultra sound with Paul as he knows my history at the centre rather then the Hospital. The refferal letter was from Alexander and not the PT I saw last week so was a waste of time seeing her.

If things work out well should have my 1st ultra sound on the 15th September and not another assesment which would be a waste of time.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »
I went to see Paul the PT at my local PT centre to discuss what he is going to be doing on the 15th September when I see him for my appointment. I asked straight away am I having ultra sound on the 15th or another assesment. I was not surprised when he said another I need another assesment to see if I still need ultra sound but told him I seen 2 other PTs who suggested ultra sound and told him that alexander found a problem with my fat pad and on the MRI scan shows inflamation and fluid around the fat pad and suggested ultra sound. I was still not getting the message that I have problems with my fat pad and need ultra sound ASAP. Paul said he will access the knee again to see if the fat pad still swollen which it is as right knee larger then the left and once he thinks I need ultra sound would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for my 1st ultra sound and after that would have it done at a weekly basis.

As you can imagine I was not very happy as my knee pain increased in the last 2 weeks and its now affecting my work which I was worried might happen if my knee not treated soon. Not every time but happens a few times each time I squat or kneal down I get sharp pain around the fat pad and has been like this for the last few days and not going away. I could also say it affects my social life as I went to a wedding and they had a barn dance in the evening and my knee hurt after one dance as you have to be able to move fast which I cant with my knees. Knee pain was 2 to 4 out of 10 but the last couple of weeks 5 to 6 out or 10 sometimes 7 if pain very intense that I keep getting on and off since the falll last october.

The PT and streching on my left maltracking knee not working so far still get clicking and crunching and pain which does not help if you right knee hurts at the same times as I am sure many of you know what it like.

I worked out I wasted 6 months waiting to get my knee treated, 3 months waiting for my 1st PT appointment and it looks like another 3 months when I get my 1st ultra sound. 17th June refferal letter was sent and could be mid to late october till I recieve the ultra sound. I think this is unfair as my knee could talk would be crying out for help but nothing seems to happen.

With the increase in pain is it advisable to see a OS or wait months for ultra sound and maybe a injection that may or may not help.

I need my knee sorted before spring as winter months we have less work to do on the golf course. I know spring a long way but the amount of time it takes might get sorted by summer before my knee or knees are fixed.

Sorry again for moaning and a long posting but getting frustrated about my whole knee issues.

Nick  :) {2008} :-\

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
Hi Nick,

I could come and yell at those folks for you.  May not help, but..... How frusterating.  What a messed up system.  GRRRRR!!!  Wish I could do more than sympathize with you. 

Don't worry about the venting, it's good for you and we all understand.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt