Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PFJR Dec. 28, 2004  (Read 51783 times)

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • not the bee's knees
Re: PFJR Dec. 28, 2004
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2006, 05:36:24 PM »
Liz,

I can climb stairs like a "normal" person too, holding the railing. So that's all good for both of us. Yes, the weather really affects me too. In the spring and the fall when the weather is changing, I really feel it. When it stabilizes, I'm much better. Daffodils are finally popping up here with little yellow buds. :D

Let's keep on improving!!!!!!

Nancy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #376 on: April 14, 2006, 03:13:49 AM »
My Os has just referred me to an OS who does PF replacements.  I have a chondral defect behind the patella and patella baja. The rest of my knee is clean. I have some level of pain all the time, but I keep it pretty tolerable by staying off my legs. I'm tired of avoiding walking. I'm tired of my knee hurting when I bend it. My gait is off and I walk with a limp. I don't want to run a marathon, but I'd love to be able to walk without pain and live a more normal life.

I'll be reading through the posts and trying to find more information before I have my appointment. Just in general, though, are you glad you had the surgery? Are there any really good questions I should ask the OS? Thanks for your help.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #377 on: April 14, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »
Janet,

I know my knee would be a lot worse without the surgery though it isn't a panacea. I still have soreness -- and pain if I walk a lot. Part of that is my other patella is 70% gone. Every case is different and good PT makes a real difference.

Let us know what your OS has to say. Ask him which prosthesis he uses. I have the Avon which is good. The Dupuy I hear is also good. But there is another one that has lawsuits against it for failing. I can't recall the name but google the one he says he uses to find out.

Good luck!!

Nancy
OA both knees, confined to patella. Arthroscopy 1998, cortisone both knees,  Halygan shots both knees. Had PFR 3/28/05. Recovery on schedule according to OS but lots of pain radiating up thigh and to lower back.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #378 on: April 15, 2006, 02:42:51 AM »
Thanks, Nancy. I'll ask him about the prosthesis. And I know I would have excellent PT. I was at this facility for my last PT, and they knew more and did a better job than any other of the other PTs I had before. Also, they are in the same facility as the doctors, so they can check with the doctors and the doctors can check in on you anytime it is needed.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Quill

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • not the bee's knees
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2006, 06:17:21 PM »
Janet,

That sounds great.

Happy Easter and a good knee day.

Nancy

Offline kmap71

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • I hate Mornings!
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2006, 07:05:45 PM »
I see the last posting here was around Easter 2006.  Well, now it's almost Halloween and guess what?
I'M DOING GREAT!  I did have to have arthroscopy on my non PFR knee and my PFR knee carried me through it! 
I do need to have it done to the other knee....and I am not afraid of it failing, I'm just not looking forward to the rehab!!!  I'm putting it off as long as I can.  I did find out recently that I definitely have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so that is probably what is causing me (at such a young age) to need all of this crap.  But, what can ya do but play the hand that's dealt to ya.
Anyhoo, I've got a positive attitude and at least one great knee to carry me through!  :-)
Ya'll take care now, ya hear?!
Elizabeth  :-*
booboo 1987 & 1999 Lknee, arthroscopy w/LR 1998 successful with PT
R knee deterioration 2002, arthroscopy w/LR, Hyalgan/Synvisc shots
cortisone shots in both knees
PFJR right knee 12/28/04
Left knee scope 09/06 found grade IV chondromalacia
 PFJR left knee 04/27/10