Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Flabella ?  (Read 23974 times)

Offline jasel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Flabella ?
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:40:37 AM »
I just had an x-ray of my "good" knee because of pain. It was pretty normal except it says "A flabella is incidentally noted". Any idea what that is?
I was diagnosed with osteonecrosis in my left knee and any pain  in the right knee worries me. I have a script to get an MRI in 2 weeks if it still hurts.
Jody

Offline vetmedgirl

• Regular Poster
  • Go POKES!
Re: Flabella ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 06:39:17 AM »
Hi,
I am a veterinary student and I know what flabella are in animals so I'll give you that info, I don't know if this is true for human medicine.  In quadripeds or animals that walk on all fours sesamoid bones are more numerous.  Sesamoid bones are bones that don't directly articulate with other bones, like they are embedded in a tendon or ligament, like the knee cap.  Dogs for instance however have sesamoids behind the knee as well, called gastrocnemius sesamoids or "fabella" these are embedded in the gastroc muscle tendon (calf muscle) near where it inserts on the femur.  Animals also have sesamoids behind the digits as well, like horses have proximal sesamoids at the fetlock and a distal sesamoid at the pastern.  In human anatomy however the only sesamoid bone that is usually there is the patella or knee cap.  That's all I know hope this helps, I realize you posted this a while back but if you do read this and have already found out what flabella are could you reply and tell me what they are as I'm curious.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 01:58:54 AM by vetmedgirl »
Rt Knee Torn ACL, medial meniscus, MCL in -Dec 97
ACL Reconstruction, medial meniscus repair-Jan 98
Partial Lateral meniscectomy, Patellar and femoral chondroplasty in both knees - August 03

Offline ouchknee79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 09:49:59 PM »
A flabella also appeared on an x-ray I had taken of my knee for some lateral pain.  I actually came here to learn more about it because I couldn't find anything on the internet and was interested to know more about it.

My surgeon said that it doesn't do anything and does not affect any of my symptoms.  He described it as an "evolutionary leftover" from when humans walked on all fours.  Why we are blessed with it is beyond me. Apparently it functioned with the patella somehow. But that is all I know.

I really would like to learn more.  Mine appears to be really small, sized like pocket change.  I know it doesn't affect my health, it's just humorous to know it's there.

Offline ouchknee79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 09:51:50 PM »
For VetMedGirl,

on an x-ray, the flabella appears much like the patella, but on the back of the knee and much smaller.  Interestingly, it also "floats!"  

Offline vetmedgirl

• Regular Poster
  • Go POKES!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 12:09:14 AM »
Yep, sounds like you have little bones in your gastroc tendon, just like your doggy!!  I've never heard of people having fabella, but I guess it can happen, like some people having tails... :)
Rt Knee Torn ACL, medial meniscus, MCL in -Dec 97
ACL Reconstruction, medial meniscus repair-Jan 98
Partial Lateral meniscectomy, Patellar and femoral chondroplasty in both knees - August 03

Offline jemathewson

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
I have just been told that I had a problem with my Fabella...with is a teeny tiny bone inbedded in the tendon (gastroc sounds about right). After my re-injuring of the ACL I started having a lot of pain and it has been diagnosed from everything as minor as a muscle knot to possible torn ligament...it has been very difficult to pinpoint exactly the pain...after my ACL construction I have been struggling with this as it has been very painful ...surgery concluded that it was not a torn meniscus or lgament...and after 4 months of trying to get back but being stopped by the mysterious pain I was finally diagnosed by my surgeon for having an inflammed fabella...now I am still not entirely sure what is wrong of how it became wrong..but they have treated it with a cortisone shot two days ago...and it is quite painful...

All I do know right now is that this is apparently extremely rare...my surgeon seems maybe one case a year...if that....and it is not really treatable....tricky part is it is preventing me from getting the rest of my muscles...

still looking for more info..
ACL - reconstruction March 9, 2007
Meniscal repair March 2002

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 05:06:58 AM »
I had a fabella bone too. It is a small sesmoid bone in back of the knee that only 10% of the population has, according to my Dr. It was bearly visable on xray. Mine was removed. It was causing me pain and snapping in the back of my knee. I have a TKR and it turned out that it was getting impinged in the prothesis. It was imbedded in the gastroc tendon. After it's removal, I was pain free and no more snapping.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA