Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Questions re: Unispacer Knee surgery  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Chelonia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Questions re: Unispacer Knee surgery
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:19:58 AM »
My 85 year old father is having a fit with his knee that he injured in his more athletic years.   He is considering having the Unispacer surgery.  He asked me for advice so I found my way here to hopefully get it straight from the "horse's mouth".....in a manner of speaking.  

Can anyone give me any personal, or second hand, experience.......or point my in another direction.  

Thanks for any help.  ??? ???

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
Re: Questions Unispacer Knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 05:21:01 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board ;D

I have not personally had the unispacer surgery, but I just thought I would pass this little bit of advice onto you and a little opinion.

I read about the unispacer at my doctors office in a brochure and according to what it said they typically try to do the surgery on more younger patients when trying to avoid a total knee replacement.

Also there are not alot of Orthopedics that are trained in this surgery yet and I was just wandering if he does have a doctor that knows how?

Good luck to you both and let us know what he decides

Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 06:51:31 AM »
From all I've read about this surgery, from web pages and people who have had the surgery, it is just not very successful. At 85 he'd be better off getting a knee replacement. My 80 something mother in law had both hers done and feels a lot better.

Offline Chelonia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 05:34:01 PM »
Thanks for both of your replies.  I'm starting to get a general feeling that this may not be the way to go.  He's very healthy with the exception of this but it causes him quite a bit of discomfort.  I've seen some commentary from a few folks who have had the procedure done and were not particularly happy but it was early in the process.  

Jennie,  I did a google search and came up with quite a few in the Orlando FL area who have gone through the training.  Of course the next question is how many procedures have they performed and what were the results.  I'd give you the link but I forgot where I was when I found it.  It was some Orthopedic site and you could enter you zip code, city name, etc., and get a complete list within a reasonable radius.

karenk

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 09:21:53 PM »
I have a Unispacer and am having it replaced next month. My understanding is that they won't do it on older persons. I don't remember the age cut off, but it was like 65? Good Luck, Karen

support