Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Multi-Total Knee Replacements  (Read 1260 times)

Offline rustycog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Multi-Total Knee Replacements
« on: August 05, 2003, 12:29:30 AM »
Hi Folks,
I'm a 48yo male, former offensive guard at NC State University back in the mid-70's (74-77) and I have had quite a "go" of it lately. I had my first total knee done in May 1999. It lasted till Spring on 2001. In May of 2001 I had my second total knee replacement (same knee). This second knee lasted until July 2002 at which time a third art. knee was inserted. That's right 3 art. knees in a little over or around 4 years. These are not just simple revisions but complete installation of all new hardware. I'm trying to find others with similiar stories if any and their sucesses. I look forward to hearing from you folks.
Regards,
Rusty

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Multi-Total Knee Replacements
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 05:04:19 AM »
Hi Rusty,

Wow, I'm curious about this.  A tkr is supposed to last at least 10 years before there is trouble with the cement or the prosthetic.  What is going on to damage yours?

It sounds pretty awful--from someone recuperating for my second tkr as we speak.

Welcome to the board--Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline rustycog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 10:55:54 PM »
Slyvia,
Thanks for your message. It has been a long road and none of the OS have ever been able to provide a reason as to why the knees come loose. In fact I now have "patella baja" in addition to the discomfort from the art, knee. How long did your first knee last? When i had the first one my OS also told me to expect 12 - 15 years of use. Unfortunatey I have not come close to any of these ranges. Have you found many people posting info here that have had mult-knee replacements? I am very excited hopefully to speak with folks who have had similar experience.
Rusty

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 02:55:47 AM »
Hi again,

I still have my first one--I just got it in December on my left knee.  Then 3 weeks ago, we did my right knee.  I'm having a frightful experience right now--and if I had to do this as many times as you have--well I think my sanity would be at risk.

So your knees are coming loose--how were they placed--did they opt for cement?

I'm sure sorry for what you are going through--and I think it is scary...

Good luck with all of this and keep us posted.  Sylvia

Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline rustycog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 09:11:12 PM »
Hi Sylvia,
How has your lastest surgery gone? I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through also. I don't mean to sound heroic, but a lot has been placed on my plate but as I was once told God would not give you more than you can handle.
I really would like to find someone or somebodies who has been through multi-total knees like (and hopefully not you, that this will be your last one!). If any of your online frinds fit what I'm looking for please advise me and them. Thanks so much and best wishes on your healing!!!
Rusty

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 09:49:10 PM »
Hi Rusty,

I'm going back in the hospital tomorrow and hopefully will be on the real road to recovery soon.

Have you ever checked out any of the information on WebMD?  
they have a "joint replacement" board that is moderated by a doctor and a "joint replacement support group" board as well--maybe you could find someone with your background there.  I was there over the weekend and remember reading a post from somebody who had had 5 total hip replacements in a pretty short period of time...

Keep positing here though, we want to know what you find out and how you are doing.  We also havbe the wonderful capacity to listen to venting when you need to get it out of your system...

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

support