Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO  (Read 31805 times)

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
That's really awesome news about the skiing, Matt. When are you thinking you will do the other ACI??

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »
Update time.  19 months out... I think? 

So I just returend from Utah, where I skied 6 days in a row!!!  ;D  With limited pain too!  It was awesome outthere.  And we skied everything too including the double black trees.  And maybe even a few of the bump runs that I was supposed to avoid.  ;) Tough to do out there, espically if you want to get to the good stuff.  I was suprised at how well it held up, even that new pain in the butt area as well.  I made sure to ice it everynight.  I was definilty not in "out west" skiing shape.  Having grown up in the east, and having never been out west, it was certainly a different experience.  And after the last 2 days of rain and snow, I want to go back as soon as possible. 

One thing I have noticed, is that over the last few days my knee has been acting up again.  It's weird how it didn't really bother out there but when I get back it does.  A couple of thoughts on this might be the altitude change and less pressure?  Might also be my job too.  But that doesn't translate to skiing vs working.  You would think skiing would put more stress on it then teaching and driving snow cat.  Another mystery I guess.

The whole week out there had me thinking I may put off the next ACI surgery. Never the less, I'm headed back to Boston next month for another shot of Synvisc.  I'm sure at the time I'll discuss options with Dr. Gomoll. 

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »
Hi Matt

Just a thought/question (?), do you think that when you do your personal skiing you use more skeletal bracing which means a straighter leg than when teaching or driving a snow cat?  I was just wondering whether when teaching you have your leg flexed for longer and similarly for driving the snow cat.  The reason I'm bringing this up is that I get inflammation and pain after extended sitting with my knee bent.  Granted I'm at a much earlier stage than you but my physio was saying that I'm probably putting quite a lot of pressure on the graft when seated.

Another thought re. delayed pain: could be due to bruising accumulated over the week which is manifesting itself now?  I've read about bone bruising which needed some rest to let it settle.  Not suggesting you have bone bruising but something like it may explain why it is hurting a bit later.

Are you having the Synvisc in the ACI-ed knee or the other one?  Do you know of anyone who's had a steroid injection into an ACI-ed knee?  It's been suggested to me as an option (a last option) to settle my knee.

Hope you sort out some suitable plans when in Boston.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
Hi All... 

Just joining in...though no offense there are so many other groups I would prefer joining :)  I just had my ACI with Dr Gomoll on Feb 3rd. 

I've had a bit more difficulty with ROM than some of you.  It took me a full 4 weeks to get 90 and just hit 95 on Monday.  Tomorrow will be a full 5 weeks. 

I was able to get off pain meds within the first two weeks and in general have no pain with on the cpm or just laying around.  I do have this crazy debiliating sharp pain in the inside of my knee near the knee cap when moving my leg in certain positions.  It's a pain I've never felt before and is certainly eye opening if you know what I mean.

Did any of you ever experience this and if so how long out after surgery were you still experiencing it?  I am thinking some of it may have to do with the lack of inner thigh muscle. 

Any feedback would be great.  Also any of you hikers and if so were you able to go back to hiking after recovery?
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Nov 1997 VMO/Lateral release
April 1998 scope to remove bone chips
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:58 PM »
Hi cfranc

Welcome and sorry that you've qualified for this club.

Sorry I can't help with the pain.  I didn't have a TTT and I've also had some problems with scar tissue that I still need to resolve.  I think others have generally said try to avoid sharp pain and go back to the OS if this occurs.  You're still early out of surgery so it's a good idea to raise any concerns as the cartilage is very young.

Good luck with the recovery.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2010, 03:20:12 AM »
Hi All... 

Just joining in...though no offense there are so many other groups I would prefer joining :)  I just had my ACI with Dr Gomoll on Feb 3rd. 

I've had a bit more difficulty with ROM than some of you.  It took me a full 4 weeks to get 90 and just hit 95 on Monday.  Tomorrow will be a full 5 weeks. 

I was able to get off pain meds within the first two weeks and in general have no pain with on the cpm or just laying around.  I do have this crazy debiliating sharp pain in the inside of my knee near the knee cap when moving my leg in certain positions.  It's a pain I've never felt before and is certainly eye opening if you know what I mean.

Did any of you ever experience this and if so how long out after surgery were you still experiencing it?  I am thinking some of it may have to do with the lack of inner thigh muscle. 

Any feedback would be great.  Also any of you hikers and if so were you able to go back to hiking after recovery?

I would not worry too much about your range...I was very concerned as well but I now seem  to be on track.  I didn't get to 90 until around 6wks, 105 at 8wks 115 at 10 and 130 at 13wks which where I am now at week 14wks.  I had a TTO/AMZ as well and I do think that has some affect on the timing of regaining ROM.  I know how it feels, trust me.  When you have time check out my posts in the AJ's aci AMZ thread.   Are you using an excerise bike yet?  i started around 7/8wks and noticed a lot of improvement after using the bike(no resistance of course) at 10min per day.  Take it easy...the range will come. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:13:06 PM by ajschnelk »

Offline Megegen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Hey, I'm a 19 year old female college soccer player and have had microfracture surgery on both knees. I have an ACI on my patella  and TTO surgery scheduled for Monday. Any advice?