Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO  (Read 31804 times)

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »
I guess it's time for an update,  I lost the crutches around the 9 week mark, this past Friday was week 14 since the surgery.  Of course the second I lose the crutches, I go for a walk outside and step in a hole and hyper-extend my bad knee, so that was a setback, but since the couple weeks after that, things are feeling pretty good.  I'm still walking with a very slight limp, (some days are worse than others) and only a little bit of pain,  I can go up stairs almost normally which is nice, and can sort of go down as well.  All in all I think everything is headed in the right direction. 

I've been trying to do more at therapy, tried to do hamstring curls the other day with 15 lbs, couldn't move it :-)  so it was down to 5,  that I can do, small steps I guess.  Went for the 12 week check up with Dr. Gomoll,  he said I was in fantastic shape for where I'm at, so that was nice to hear.  I go back in three months.  That will be 6 months.   

Snow flew the other day, so that started the itch for skiing, too bad I'll only be able to watch this year, the 3rd year I've had to do so.  Oh well I'm still wishing for a snowy winter :-)

dileigh

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 01:44:48 AM »
You're doing better than I was at that point in time, so keep up the good work!  ;D  ;D

It's amazing what you can do to your knee and not do any permanent damage. 

Diana

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »
So I've reached the 4 month mark,  it's hard to belive that it has been only 4 months.  Belive it or not, it's sort of gone by fast.  There are some minor aches and pains, mostly because my hamstring strength is nowhere to be found.  And I also have some patteller tendonitis.  I'm not having any issues walking or going upstairs.  Coming down the stairs is more of a strength issue with my quad. 

I feel like I can do more, but my therapist is holding me back,  although it feels fine to do certain things, still have to wait for the cartilage to grow.  Soon enough I suppose. 

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:52 AM »
6 Month update -

Just had a check up with Dr. Gomoll down in Boston.  As far as the ACI goes, it's in great shape.  I mentioned to him that it actually feels better now than before the surgery.  Which it does, he was impressed and said that most people seem to feel that way at the year to year and a half mark.  So I guess that is the good news. 

Now the bad news.  We had a pretty bad ice storm back in Dec, I slipped going down the stairs from our porch.  Shortly after that the inside of my knee began to bother me.  So I went back to wearing my ACL brace to help stabilize the knee.  My therapist thought that I might of strained my MCL.  It has been bothering me since then, and the pain comes and goes, but hasn't gone away.  My doctor today thinks I might have a torn meniscus.  So I'm back to Boston in a few weeks for an MRI to see whats up. 

So the ACI seems to be doing great, it's all the little things around it that seem to bother.  So once it all comes together I think I'll be in good shape.  Which is good because I desperately want to go skiing.

To those who were inquiring about driving.  I actually asked a few police officers in the area about driving with my left foot.  They said as long as you can drive safely then it doesn't matter.  So I was actually driving a couple of weeks after my surgery.  Nothing major, just the 10 min drive to therapy and back.  I drive a truck with a bench seat, so I would get myself to the passenger side door, and slide across into the drivers seat.  Leave the bad leg resting across the seat, and the left would do the gas and brake.  It helped that it was an automatic  :)  So thats how I got myself around for the almost 10 weeks I was on crutches.  ;D

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »
Just curious to know when people started to bike outside on the roads?  I'm approaching 7 months out of surgery, and things feel fine... Well except for the possible meniscus tear.  Obviously it's up to the Doctor, but just wanted to hear when others started.

Thanks

Matt

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:05 PM »
hi matt,
i've been reading your posts bc i'm having ACI/HTO this spring. i am curious- at the 7 month mark what are you able to do in terms of cardio & movement?? i assumed by that point i would be able to ride a bike etc....but that now seems a little aggressive. lastly, how long did you end up having to use the CPM machine?? thanks for your help!
courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 01:29:11 AM »
Hey Courtney,

I'll be at 7 months in 2 days, (it's actually gone by pretty quick) I'm able to ride a stationary bike at the moment, and push pretty hard.  Usually at therapy I go anywhere from 10-25 minutes, but could probably do more if it wasn't so boring!  I'm able to go up and down stairs with any major issues, well going down I just need to build more strength.  My therapist is asking my doctor if it's okay for me to ride my bike outside, that is when we're not getting snowstorms.  My bending is just about the same as the good leg.  And I actually think that it feels better now than before the surgery.  My doctor said that that is great, most people don't feel that way until 12-18 months after.  So he was happy to hear that. 

I was on crutches for just about 10 weeks, and used my CPM for 6 weeks.  I was limited on that and only went from 0-40 degrees.  I didnt think the CPM was all that bad,  towards the end I actually slept while my leg was in it.  One thing you should look into is a "Game Ready System"  It's a pretty elaborate icing system that works awesome. 

Had my MRI done last week, and there's no meniscus tear,  so that was good to hear, which begs the question why is the inside of my knee bothering me if nothing is wrong with it.  Who knows :-)  Dr Gomoll did say that the graft looks good and there is no problems with that.  Which was great news.  Onward and upward I guess. 

So a question to be thrown out there, when did people start progressing to more active therapy?  Jumping, cutting, jogging?  More intense stuff??? 

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Hi Matt,
It's nice to hear that you didn't have a meniscus tear.  That wouldn't have been fun on top of the ACI.  I've been experiencing some pain on the outside of my knee (don't know if that's what you meant by inside...) and the Doc thinks that it's just some pain that I'll have to work through because I hadn't really used my knee for so long.  Not much help there, but at least you know you're not the only one experiencing it, right?

I'm about 8 months out, and still not doing anything more aggressive than riding the exercise bike pretty hard. I'm really looking forward to running (especially now that we're getting some nice days every now and then), but am not counting on it until after the year mark.

Sam
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
Just hit the 8 month mark a few days ago,  things are going good.  Dr Gomoll said I could that I can finally go for bike rides outside, as long as there were no hills and I didn't stand up. So, no more trainer or stationary bike.  ;D  So I got out yesterday, managed to go 12 miles in 45 min.  Obviously out of shape at times, but overall, the knee didn't seem to bother me.  Just the stupid ACL brace that I was wearing.  Last night seemed to be okay as well, just a little bit achy.  Finally, progress. 

I'm still having a bit of pain on the inside of the knee, but we're pushing through that at therapy.  My therapist cut me down to one day a week until I can be more active in terms of rehab. 

Well the ski season is almost over up here, the third year in a row I've missed.  I'm looking forward to getting back on ski's next year.  18 months will be next January.  Has anyone gotten back on ski's sooner?   Or later??? 

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Hi, Matt!  Glad you are having positive progress.  It's always nice to hear, and it had to feel good to be outside on a bike again!  I can't wait for that day :)

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 03:38:19 AM »
Matt,
I tried a little skiing this December, 20 months after my ACI/TTO.  The conditions were very poor, and my knee felt OK on smooth stuff, not as good when I got into bumps or weird snow.   I had been thinking about trying again, but never got to it.  Hope to be able to ski more normally next year.  I'm pretty good on the bike, though :-)

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
10 month update...

I'm not sure what happened between months 9 and 10, but things were going good,  I was riding my bike every other day 20-25 miles.  Mostly flat stuff, as Dr. Gomoll said no hills or standing up.  But all of a sudden my knee started feeling crappy.  And still is, has my therapist a little confused as well as me.  Trying to figure out if I pushed too hard as I was avg. 16-18 miles an hour.  But I would think that it would bother during the ride, not the 2 weeks after.  So we're just taking it slow at therapy and trying to get it to calm back down.  I'm hoping I didn't do anything else to it. 

Does anyone have pain on the inside of their knee down the joint line?  Thats where most of my pain comes from, so it's not exactly where the repair was done.  This is the spot that seems to have bothered my most over the past 2 years, even before the ACI surgery.  So thats a little confusing as well. 

Matt

Offline bsonday

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 01:49:07 AM »
Hey Matt,

ACIs are weird.  Frequently, I will do something with NO pain whatsoever like some lunges, but then I will be sore for the next week.  In my 11 months so far, I've had two "sore months" where I was just sore for no apparent reason.

About the side pain near the joint line--meniscus perhaps?

Keep up the good work.

Best,
Ben
Removal of loose bodies (cartilage pieces)--7/2/2007
Lots of rehab (quad strengthening) which didn't help much
Biopsy for ACI, 1.5cm x 1.5cm patellar cartilage lesion found--5/7/2008
Patellar ACI with Fulkerson, slight lateral release (to get under the patella)--7/2/2008
Happiness--Early 2010?

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 04:23:41 AM »
Hi matt

I tried skiing at 18months last time round on a patella lesion. It was a bit sore after day 2 but took a couple of meds and was ok. I took up snowboarding instead which is a lot easier on the knees (until you stack that is!) and I was able to board for 3 or 4 days pain free.

I am looking to get back on the board in dec which will be 12months post my second op.

Sorry to hear the biking is going that well. I am riding alternate days on a trainer up to 1/2hr and weekends out on the road, verrrrrry casualy for an 1hr. i don't even bother looking at the speedo as it would be depressing.

Not sure you would be able to do any damage to your graft at this stage of your rehab on a bike so wouldn't stress too much.

Hathor
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 03:06:41 AM »
Matt,

I had the same pain on the inside of my knee until I had my TTO.   I think it was partially related to hamstring tightness/weakness.  Sometimes it would get better with massage.  I think my hamstring insertion and stabilizers were working overtime to try and keep my patella in the right place.  Now as I am rehabbing I go and get 1 hour leg massages every other week.  Since I started doing that the pain went away with the exception of where my screws are located.  Luckily I am getting those out tomorrow!

Try some massage and let me know if it helps.

Julie
L hardware removal and scar revision 6/4/9
Left AMZ and medial release 1/8/09
ACI biopsy 11/4/08 and bilateral scopes
12-22-06  L -Microfracture lateral trochlea, LR, and removal of loose bodies
1999-Right knee Loose body removal chondromalacia

support