Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO  (Read 31803 times)

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 10:59:51 PM »
Nice pics!   :D
Dr. Minas is mailing me a CD-ROM with my pics etc on it, and I have to say I'm sort of excited to see them.  I've been threatening my friends and family that I will use them for this year's Christmas card.  :P 

Have you sorted out your CPM issues?  Stupid insurance companies....  >:(

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 12:43:27 AM »
Well I tried to slack off on the pain meds today, not a good idea.  Other than that things arent going all that bad.  Thankfully the Olympics are on most of the time.  Managed to get out of the house yesterday, a buddy of mine dragged me up to his cottage on a lake.  Spent the morning sitting on the dock reading and chatting which was nice. 

My doctors office is working on the insurance company.  The doctors assistant thinks it's bogus that they won't cover it.  Redloutus what's the deal with the game ready system?  I wasn't told how it was being paid for, if the hospital is covering it or the insurance is covering it, or UGH I'm covering it.  I'm going to beg the guy when he calls later this week to hold onto it for another 2 weeks or so.  I've got a polor care system that I had from my ACL surgery that I can use once this goes away, but I'm in no rush to use that.  And then when I go back to school, I can bring a cryo-cuff system to use there for.  I'm not looking forward to teaching on crutches.  I did that with my ACL, it's just awful when the kids steal your crutches  ;D

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 02:47:03 AM »
I'm not sure what to tell you about the Game Ready.  My case is worker's comp, so they're footing the bill.  It was a long struggle to get them to approve the surgery, but once they did I didn't have any issues with getting them to pay for things like the GR system.  I would imagine that your insurance would pay.  If you were expected to foot the bill they most likely would have had you sign something or agree to the fee up front.  Definately try to get the extension!  If you had the same rep as I did, he was nice and encouraged me to try for the extension as well.  :)

Sounds nice getting up to the lake!  I made it almost to the beach today (sat on a picnic table just off the beach) and it was heaven!

I work with kids too (in a group home) and while I can't work there while on crutches, they've seen me on them coming in to get a paycheck etc.  One of our seven year olds yelled "Why are you on crotches?!" and couldn't understand why everyone laughed.  ;D 

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »
Well as expected, the redness was nothing to worry about.  Dr. Gomoll didn't seem concerned at all.  Which I guess is a good thing, better to be safe than sorry.  He said the incision looked great, and the patella was sliding around well.  Have to go back in a few weeks.  And there was also mention of getting off the crutches around that time as well ;D  I think I'm going to burn them when I'm done.  Enough is enough!!!!!

Redlotus, I know it's not a race, but I hit 86 degrees yesterday  :P  I couldn't help it sorry ;D  Going for 90 tomorrow, we'll see.  When I was on crutches for my ACL 2 years ago teaching.  One of the kids took my crutches turned them upside down and used them as stilts.  I thought that was pretty impressive.  If I tried that, it would probably be a mess.

On the topic of scars, I guess it's a guy thing, but I don't mind it all that much, then again I'm not wearing skirts around.  If my scar wasn't so straight, I could brag that a shark bit me or something like that.  I almost asked if he could make that insicison a little jagged just for that reason ;D

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »
Glad to hear the redness isn't anything to be concerned about!  Congrats on getting to 86 deg, Matt (showoff!  ;D )    Just remember... you're three days ahead of me!  I have three days to catch up!

As far as scars go, I wouldn't really be that bothered by a bigger scar.  It doesn't really matter to me as far as appearence goes.  Part of me almost feels like I should have some sort of visable remnant of all this hassle!  But I like the fine incision because I feel like there's less chance of tightening from scar tissue.  I had the beginning stages of skin cancer on my other leg when I was a kid, and the scar from the biopsy/removal healed wrong.  It still aches at weird times to this day, sunburns easily, and is a general pain.  So one less scar to worry about is fine by me!  I had thought of the "shark attack" story as well, esp since I've actually been snorkling with sharks.  I also contemplated telling people that I was wounded in a ninja fight.  Or possibly had a bad figure skating accident involving imbedded sequins and overly sharp saktes.  ;D 

Good luck burning your crutches!  I have three pairs total, so between us we could have quite the bonfire (assuming we can get the blasted things to burn!)

Now, off to work on my ROM!  ;)

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 04:44:24 AM »
Do I hear 90,  yep, with some yelps of pain though,  but I made the goal of 90 by three weeks with a couple days to spare.   It will be 3 weeks on Friday.  Now onto 110 by 6.   

So I managed to make it over to football practice today, I'm a coach at the high school that I teach at.  If the staff wasn't so shorthanded this year I would of opted out and taken the season off.  I have a hard time saying no to people,  ;D   So I had to make my way out to, about a 200 yard walk, and then around the football field for a couple of hours this afternoon.  Try and avoid getting run into, it would be so much easier if I had a golf cart to ride around on.  It mostly bothers the good leg seeing how all my weight is on that.  But it gets me out of the house and doing stuff.  Even if it is just standing around and watching. 

My parents are back from Martha's Vineyard tomorrow, so finally some good home cooking and mommy's back to help out  ;D  ;D  ;D And someone to play with Winston.  He's our 110 pound 13 month old Golden Retriever puppy. A big monster.  And he's a handful, especially when he doesn't get much play time.  I try to go out and throw the ball for him, but that's not all that easy.

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 02:16:47 AM »
Has anyone been taking glucosamine, and had any sort of results taking it?  Just curious.

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 11:46:47 PM »
Matt,

I've been taking glucosamine for a couple of years now.

I'm not really sure if it helps, but it doesn't bother me, so I continue (at least when I remember to).

DJS60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 04:48:06 AM »
So I have a couple of questions for anyone who feels like answering :-)

I guess there are a lot of variables in what people of had done, but what is the average length of time on crutches?  I'm going into my 4th week.  I have been partial weight bearing the whole time, my doctor said that we would look at getting off of them when I see him on Sept 2.  Which will only be a little over 5 weeks out.  Doesn't seem right to me that I would just drop the crutches right away. 

Also how long have people continued with their pain medication?  I tried again to slack off on it today (Saturday), and I'm thinking that wasnt such a good idea at the moment.  Right now all I'm taking is a 5mg oxycodone every 4-6 hours. 

So I started back to work this past Friday, 4 weeks to the day of surgery.  It was a get your room ready day for the teachers, needless to say I didn't do much with my room.  But after leaving the house at 7am, staying at school till 3:30, then going to football practice, and not getting back home till 7:30,  lets just say the knee wasn't very happy.  I'm lucky in the fact that I have a couple cryo-cuff systems so I can bring one into school and leave it there for use during the day.  This week should be a good test, meetings Monday and Tuesday, and kids come on Wednesday.  Summers over  ::)

Therapy is going okay, going two, sometimes three times a week at the moment, however the motion seems to be going a little slower,  I managed barely to get to 100 on Thursday this week, so just 2 weeks to get to 110.  So I guess it isn't too bad. 

I'm also sad that the Olympics are ending,  It was nice to have something different to watch these past 2 weeks.  I guess it's back to Netflix and PS3  :)

dileigh

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »

I was NWB for 6 weeks and then it was another week or two before I was completely off the crutches.  I could put more weight on it than I thought the day I started PWB.  Once I was off though, I really had to concentrate on my gait or I would limp badly.  I also used a cane for a short while for longer trips and still have it in my car just in case.  I haven't used it lately except for a marathon shopping trip a few weeks ago.  And that was more because it was tired than in pain.

Did you try to replace the pain meds with something else or just go cold turkey?  I have other meds I take on a daily basis including celebrex so that helped, but a lot of people use advil or something similar as a step down from the narcotics.

Prop your knee up as much as possible at work, I know it's probably not going to be easy as a teacher though  :P. Then baby it as much as possible once you get home. 

Diana

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »
Anyone seen my quad muscle?  Okay so I am aware that it was going to get smaller, but come on,  my left quad about is around 24 3/4 inches, the right is 21 1/4 inches.  Im guessing it will take a year or two before they are back to normal.  As soon as I can walk it's back to the gym, even though I really can't do anything with my legs.

On the bright side, went to the Doctors this past week for the 6 week follow up, everything looked great.  However Redlotus I haven't gotten to 115 deg. yet  :)  Stuck around 105, and it gets extremely painful when pushed beyond that.  And like you I sent my CPM back, to the tune of $745.00, hopefully the insurance will "man up" and help me out.  And I was sad to send the game ready system back too.  Now I'm back to using my polar care system.  Still on crutches but Dr. Gomoll said he would like to see my off them by the end of this week. 

I've been using a wheel chair at school in class, makes life a little easier, it allows me to keep it up in the air too.  It's a different experience using one of those, and I'm lucky that I only have to use it for a little bit.  Other than that the hardest part about being at school is carrying things are trying to photo copy stuff.  Everyone has been extremely helpful, even the kids getting me lunch :) Coaching football, now thats another story, I'm glad I'm strong, cause hauling my butt around the football field can be difficult at times.

Was anyone using the hinged knee brace?  and if so did they ever unlock it? or just keep it locked straight?  I've done away with it at home for now, but Dr Gomoll says he still wants me using it at school.  I've got an ACL brace for that knee, but my quad is so small that it doesnt fit right, and my therapist thinks I should be wearing the brace throughout the football season, just in case I get run over, even if I am trying to stay out of the way.

Hopefully Tom Brady won't need to be reading this website and his knee is okay :)   

dileigh

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »
I had one before I got off my crutches, and actually got rid of both about the same time. It was unlocked at 30 degrees and then 90 degrees at about 4 weeks or so.

Careful with the gym stuff, check with PT before doing anything extra.  The cartilage is still pretty soft at this point.  There's usually not much you can do before the 13 week mark, I was restricted to SLR's and the bike until then.

The flexion will come if you keep working on it.  I lost a little after getting rid of the CPM at first, but got more by hanging my leg than doing heel slides.

Diana

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 01:42:36 AM »
Hey Matt!
Sounds like you're doing well!  And hey, don't feel bad about the flextion difference - women are naturally more flexible than men, plus I did Yoga and Pilates before my knees crapped out.  ;D  Sounds like you're on track!

Off crutches soon, huh?  I feel like I'm stuck on crutches longer than a lot of folks around here, and I'm wondering why.  I have to do 1/3 WB for the next 2.5 weeks, then 2/3 WB with crutches for another two, then FWB with both crutches for another week!  Is it because I have an MFC and 2 patellar ACIs, or that I had larger than usual defects?

I hear you on the "missing quad."  I mean, I wanted slimmer thighs, but it would be nice if they matched!  ::) 

Keep up the good work!
Redlotus

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:31 AM »
Good news / Bad news
Good news is that I'm up to 125 deg motion.  My therapist asked my doctor if it would be okay to unlock my brace.  And I think thats helping with the motion a lot.  I mean I've gained about 20 degrees in the last week or so.  So she's happy about that.  Everything else looks good too, not too much swelling and the scar looks good as well.  I just wish it wasn't so straight,  just looks weird.  I jokingly asked my therapist that if I had a knee replacement down the road, would they use the same incision or make another parallel to it, so it would look like train tracks :-)

More good news,  the insurance company finally came through and is going to help pay for the CPM.  It figures the week after I write the check for the whole thing ($745.00 for 6 weeks)  I get the letter in the mail saying the will cover 80% of it.  Now to figure out how to get some money back.  UGH :(

The bad news is that I'm still using those stupid crutches.  I tried to drop down to one over the last week but every now and then I get sharp pain in my knee, as well as the dull annoying pain.  So after talking to my therapist, and an email to my doctor, I'm still using two  :'(  But I think I'm getting closer and closer to losing them.  This Friday will be 8 weeks.  Believe it or not, it's sort of gone by quickly.  But I do miss the Olympics.

dileigh

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »
I think I pretty much stop at 125, but that's where both legs are, so it's not a problem. You're almost to the point where progress is no longer measured by flexion, and on the way to working on regaining quad strength. It might not take as long as you think......  I didn't lose as much, but at just shy of 6 months, I've actually got a little more quad in my surgery leg than my good one.

I would call the CPM people and see if they have processed your check yet and stop that if possible, if not, they should be the ones to refund your money. 

The crutchless part will come.  This surgery really makes you redefine patience. 

Diana