Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO  (Read 31802 times)

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »
I guess it's time to join the club.    :)

I am scheduled for my ACI surgery on July 25th.  It will be done at Brigham and Women's hospital (Faulkner Hospital) in Boston MA.  My doctor is Dr. Andreas Gomoll who is part of the Cartilage Repair Center, also in Boston.  It has been scheduled as outpatient, but could change depending on how things go. 

I have been paying attention to this site for awhile now.  Are there any suggestions of things people may have done differently leading up to the surgery?  This will be my 4th knee surgery in the past 20 months, (ACL, 1 clean up, and 1 clean up and biopsy sample) so I'm not really nervous as far as the surgery is concerned.  I have also been doing a lot of reading on the ACI surgeries and rehab for the trochlea.  But any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Matt

dileigh

Re: Matt's Trochlea ACI and TTO
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »

I would have gotten more DVD's to watch.  ;D 

I also didn't allow a really good spot for the CPM, sillly me thought I could sit on the floor and do it.  You really need to have a spot that you can lay down in and have the machine extend a little beyond the normal length of your leg.

Good luck, and are you having any other procedure done with the ACI?

Diana

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »
I am also having a tibial tubrcle osteotomy.  Fun stuff :)

I have a new friend in a playstation 3.

So how big are the CPM's?  Where is a normal spot to set them up?  Would it work set up on a bed, or does it need to be on the floor?  Just curious.

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:38:33 AM »
Hi Matt
I just wanted to say hello, as I'm having an ACI (femoral) and TTO three days after you, also at Brigham and Womens.  I have Dr. Minas.  :)  This will be surgery number five for me, but my fist open procedure. 

Things I highly suggest to make your life easier post-op:
DVDs and books (I joined Netflix so I'll have variety without having to go to a store)
bedside table or over-the-bed tray
a good supply of non-perishable snacks within easy reach
some home made meals, made ahead of time and frozen in individual portions (or pre-made store bought meals)
a selection of take-out menus from local restaurants that deliver (for when the frozen meals run out!  ;D )
A trashcan within easy reach
a big container of baby wipes or other moist towlettes - great for "washing" your hands, arms, face, etc and saving you a trip to the sink

Also, talk to Jeanette at the Cartilage Repair Center about getting approval for a Game Ready system (provides cold and compression).  I also asked for and got perscriptions for a raised toilet seat and a shower seat.

Good luck!  I'll send you some positive vibes on the 25th!
Redlotus

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »
Thanks Redlotus

I will definitely take those suggestions into consideration.  I've found out from my doctor's assistant that the CPM and Game Ready will be waiting for me after the surgery. 

Good luck with your surgery and I'll return the favor of positive vibes  ;D

Matt

dileigh

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »

You can fit the CPM on the bed, I was told the floor wasn't a good place since you'd be spending so much time in it

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
The day after!

Doctor Gomoll said the surgery went fine,  I went into the hospital around 6 a.m. and was out at around 1:30 p.m.  I ended up getting a nerve block after he was done.  This was my first experience with one of those, and it seemed to work okay yesterday.  It was a 2 hour drive home from the hospital in Boston to my home in New Hampshire.  The ride was uneventful, and wasn't too painful.  The CPM was delivered around 7:30 Friday night.  I'm limited to 0-40 deg for the next 6 weeks. 

So today was a little different pain wise,  the nerve block wore off and it was onto the oxycodone.  It seems to be okay, it's a little more painful than yesterday, and harder to move my leg around as well.  But Thats the way it's going to be I guess :-)

The Game Ready system is awesome,  it's a very nice set up compared to the polar care system that I had for my ACL, and I won't even compare it to the cryo-cuff.   

My first follow up is next Thursday July 31. 

Matt

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
Hey Matt,

Glad to hear everything went ok.  I am having the same procedure done.  Mine will be out of state.  I have a choice of flying...only a 50 minute flight or driving 6 hours.  You just did this so what do you recommend?
L hardware removal and scar revision 6/4/9
Left AMZ and medial release 1/8/09
ACI biopsy 11/4/08 and bilateral scopes
12-22-06  L -Microfracture lateral trochlea, LR, and removal of loose bodies
1999-Right knee Loose body removal chondromalacia

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
Oh yeah, one other thing...I bought one of those "old school" nintendo games from when I was a kid.  Got all of the Mario and Zelda games.  I am not letting myself play the games til surgery so at least i have something somewhat to really look forward to.  What else are you able to do, that is concentrate on while on the pain meds? ???

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
Hi Julie,  good luck with your surgery.

I guess it depends on how well you can extend your leg on the flight. That may be a good question for your doctor, especially the part about flying. My choice was to spend the night at my sisters apartment 5 min. from the hospital or drive the 2 hours.  I asked my doctors assistant about doing a flight of stairs or a 2 hour drive, she said the drive would be better.  I had to sit in the back seat with my leg going across the seat.  So I could have my leg extended.  The pain wasn't all that bad on the ride home.  Although they had given me the nerve block, some morphine, an oxycontin, and some oxycodone.  So I think with all that I could manage the pain from the drive.  I guess it depends on what your having done as well.  A lot of what I read on this site, is that most spend a night in the hospital. 

As far as being on the pain meds,  I get chatty and my spelling goes downhill  ;D  I think it varies for everyone.  But I think you should be able to handle the video games alright. 

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:49:46 PM »
Alright, so there isn't much new to report.  Pain is still about the same.  I can't really say that I am advancing the motion in the CPM because I'm only supposed to go to 40 degrees for the next 6 weeks.  But I have advanced to 40 degrees :)

I have included a few pictures in this post, obviously they are before and after pictures.  I'll let you figure out which is which :)

I guess one suggestion I would have to people is keep on top of your ice, either buying it or trying to refreeze it.  I'm using ice cube trays as well as cottage cheese containers.  I figured something a little bigger would take longer to melt, I didnt figure that it would take a lot longer for something like that to freeze. 

Follow up appointment is tomorrow,  I had asked my doctor about photo's so hopefully I'll be able to upload those.

Matt

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »
So I just got done with my follow up appointment, nothing like 4 hours in a car for a 10 min appointment.  Not much news, he said the x-rays looked good, and had some concern with the redness around my knee.  Other than that I go back in 4 weeks.

I also got a phone call from the people that are renting me the CPM.  They said that my insurance is not going to cover it while I'm using it.  Has anyone else had this issue?  And if so would you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
What insurance do you have?  I had problems with Humana covering mine after my microfracture...something about not getting it within the first 24 hours to better help with the ROM.  It was the Friday before Christmas and the place were not opened to have it delivered.  With an appeal letter sent to them with a lot of annoying phone calls, eventually they covered it. 

Ask them what their appeal process is, let your surgeons office know.  They should cover this and with some help of your OS office possibly bysubmitting records, etc.

Hope this helps.

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »
I have Anthem,  the balked at covering the ACI surgery as well.  Apparently I'm too fat, my BMI was too high for them.  But that got straightened out finally.  The are saying the the CPM is experimental and it doesn't warrant coverage.  I have talked with my doctor's assistant about it, and she said she would work on them.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  It's $160.00 dollars a week if I have to pay for it, $30.00 if I don't. 

So I got some pictures today from my doctors office,  i just need to figure out how to reduce the size of them

Offline madrvr757

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13:33 PM »
So here are the inside pic's.  I know I've seen a lot of other inside pic's on the site, but it's a weird feeling when it's your own knee.  :-) 

I'm 2 weeks out today, so far so good.  I've still got a lot of redness around the incision, so after a call to the doctors office today. I'm headed back down to Boston to get it checked out.  Gotta love the 4 hour driving time for a 10 min appointment.  But I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.  I just wish I could drive myself, instead of bothering someone to get me down there.  Oh well, thats what family's for :-) 

Therapy is going well I think.  I made a huge jump in bending from last Friday to Monday.  I went from 65 to 76 degrees.  Although From this past Monday I only went from 76  to 78 degrees.  Need to be at 90 by next Friday or so.  It seems like most of my problem, and pain is coming from the side of the knee.  It's like the muscle just locks up and I can't go any further. 

I had a minor mishap the other night.  When I was getting my ice for the game ready system, my crutch slipped on some water on the floor and I jammed my bad leg into the floor pretty good.  As I tried to describe it to my therapist, it was painful, but a different kind of pain that what I've been in the past 2 weeks. 

Has anyone else experienced a sharp pain in or around their knee cap.  It seems to kick in when it's slightly bent and I try to move it.  That pain was there before the slip on the floor. 

I'm glad I went with the Netflix, and I highly recommend Live Free and Die Hard to anyone who is looking for a good action movie. 

Thats about it for now!

Matt

support