Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured ACL - no surgery?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline suzbatty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ruptured ACL - no surgery?
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »
Hi All

I am new to this site and am interested to see if anyone is in the same situation as me. 

I took my first skiing holiday in February of this year and at the end of the week fell and damaged my cartilidge and as it turned out, completely ruptured my ACL.  I had an arthroscopy in April to cut away the cartlidge tear and at this time they confirmed the ACL rupture - at first it seemed like it was intact as my knee was not unstable at all (apart from the day of the fall).  I have been having regular physio with a fantastic practitioner and seem to be recovering well, I am now at the gym every day on the bike and doing weights to strengthen my hamstring, quads and core muscles.  My knee is not unstable at all (although I will admit I am VERY cautious) and have been told by my physio that I should be OK without ACL reconstruction as to be honest I am not that sporty (I will not be skiing again!). 

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has ruptured their ACL and decided not to have surgery - I was hoping for some inspirational stories to motivate me further! 

Thanks in advance....

Suzanne
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:44:53 PM by suzbatty »

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Ruptured ACL - no surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
Suzanne, if you look in the Cruciates Board you will find some posts on this topic. Also look at the Community Hub pages on ACL injuries and repairs.

Most people end up having the repair and the vast majority of people have absolutely no problems returning to sport afterwards.

Sue  ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »
Hi Suzanne ~ Yes, the cruciate board may be where you'll get more input but I'll add mine here. I came off my horse in '05 & because I was 67 at the time, my OS said no to ACL reconstruction. He did say that the meniscal tears he would deal with whenever I was ready.

To date I've had no repairs made. I confess the menisci are giving me more grief than they did at the time of my accident but I'm still working with horses & doing well w/o the ACL. If I know I'm going to be doing something that'lll challenge the knee I'll wear a brace which although not 100% foolproof does offer good support.

Whatever I can no longer do isn't so much because of the missing ACL; rather it's because of the damaged menisci. So far my knee hasn't locked. If or when it should, I'll undoubtedly have to make the decision to have surgery. But for the time being, I think I do pretty well for an old lady. <g> Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:25:37 PM »
I ruptured mine when i was 18  and had to have all the cartalidge removed - never had acl repair and wwas fine !

I always did a load of sport and gym as well !
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline suzbatty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »
Thanks guys!  Good to know I am not the only one, I will take a look at the cruciates board now.

S :-)

support