Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain with bending knee in or out--what could it be?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Nancy T

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Pain with bending knee in or out--what could it be?
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:22:24 AM »
Hi folks! Over maybe two years I've had periods where my left knee gets stiff and sore, then improves back to normal after a couple weeks or so. And various kinds of pain in both knees on and off, nothing major.

Well, for the past week or 10 days the left knee has been pretty painful when I try to straighten OR flex the leg very far, or when I twist the knee even slightly. In a middle position, without any twisting, it's OK, though there's more or less continual minor discomfort (slight ache and some shooting pains) even in the "neutral" position.

And now, today, I've had a strong "sore-muscle" feeling just below the other (right) knee, in the back, that is, in the upper calf. I didn't do anythign to it, although I WAS sitting on a Greyhound bus for 3 hours about 48 hours ago. Maybe it's from compensating/walking a bit funny with the painful left knee? Or walking up a couple of very steep Seattle blocks on Friday??

I didn't injure my knees, but I was on my feet a lot for two days during the Fourth of July, after which the knee got bad. But being on my feet a lot is not unusual--I work 20 or more hours a week at a very busy library and spend a lot of time there on my feet and turning/walking around.

I'm 51 years old and 50 lbs overweight. History of painful or painless "catches" in both knees when walking/turning, but I haven't had ANY of those for many months, maybe even a year. Also have had times (over many years) when there will be some pain above and/or below the kneecaps, like when taking stairs.

ANY CLUES for me as to what would cause pain behind the knee (coming around to the sides as well) when I extend or flex the knee to a certain angle? Haven't ever seen a doctor (yet!) about my knee pain.

Thanks VERY MUCH,

Nancy T.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Pain with bending knee in or out--what could it be?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »
Hi Nancy ~ Given your age & the fact that you say you're carrying more weight than you should, you could well have a meniscus problem just from wear & tear or you could have arthritis. Nobody can diagnose your problem so it's important that you see an orthopedic person who specializes in knees. Your personal physician may be able to clear the way for you so you can get an appointment w/o a significant wait. But whatever's going on, you'd be helping your knees by shedding the extra weight you're carrying. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Nancy T

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Pain with bending knee in or out--what could it be?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »
Thanks very much, Ellie... Given the "catches" in the past, I'd wondered about a meniscus problem, but never went to the doctor as it seemed minor and would always go away. I really think it's time to go now, though.

The knees (and the painful big-toe joints, and now the right hip!) are the biggest reason I have for trying to lose weight; I did lose 15 lbs since January, but that's not a great accomplishment, since it was weight I'd put on in the preceding year.  :( MUST DO BETTER.

Thanks again for the clue and the advice--much appreciated.

Nancy