Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I had a successful MUA  (Read 1052 times)

Offline noski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had a successful MUA
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »
Hi there,

I'm new to the board but I've been lurking for about a year and a half now.  I thought I'd let you know my story and how I had a successful MUA one year ago.

I broke my knee skiing 18 months ago.  Tore off the tibial spines and with it the ACL.  I also tore my meniscus.  5 months of 4x/week physio couldn't increase my range of motion beyond 80 degrees on a good day. My extension was a little over 10 degrees.  I saw 3 surgeons who recommended the MUA.

The MUA was under general anesthesia so I didn't feel a thing.  I woke up with a catheter in my femoral artery and my leg in one of those machines that straighten and bend the leg.  I only felt a bit of pain when the leg was bending at 120 degrees.  The next morning upon starting up the "machine" I felt horrendous pain at 120 degrees but only the first time and then it was better.  I stayed for 3 days in the hospital....OS wanted to make sure my pain was well managed.  I started physio right away for 5 days a week, 1.5 hours a time.  I was on morphine the whole time but my leg barely got to 120 degrees.  I felt a lot of pain during physio and the OS didn't think I was progressing enough.  More morphine and home physio visits (too stoned to drive) helped and eventually I started seeing results.  I was on morphine for 3 months and then finally the pain went away.  I continued with 15 months of physio (I have good insurance) to help with the residual stiffness and muscle redevelopment.  Now 1 year after my MUA I have ROM of 146 degrees (warm) and extenstion of about 2 or 3 degrees (still working on that at home).

In summary, it was the toughest year of my life (I'm a stay-at-home Mom of 2 little kids) but the MUA has given me my life back.  I still have meniscal problems and a bit of stiffness but I am now able to bike and walk in the hills of France with no problems.  I sure won't be skiing again though!

Hope my story will help someone out there.

Offline itsbeenayear

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Ruptured Patella Tendon September 2007
Re: I had a successful MUA
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if you will get to read this, but I wanted to say thank you. I have been at home for a year now (also a mum) due to a series of complications after an oriignal ruptured patella/tibia. It has been the hardest year of my life - and 4 MUA's have not helped. It was refreshing to read about somebody who has had a similar situation to mine - albeit my insurance company are not as great as yours - and I am still on morphine patches.

Once again thanks for giving me hope

x
Its Been A Year