Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: partial acl tear - MRI results  (Read 866 times)

Offline emma19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
partial acl tear - MRI results
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
Hi, I injured my knee and had it it MRI'd by OS, MRI showed a grade 1 tear in medial meniscus and a partial acl tear. As my knee at the moment is totally stable I have been referred to physio, but if the acl is partially torn what are the chances of it tearing completely OS thinks this mainly wear and tear damage, not injury damage, but can the acl get damaged by wear and tear? And if it happened to you, what happened when acl tore completely?
Thanks  ;D

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: partial acl tear - MRI results
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:40:56 AM »
As my knee at the moment is totally stable I have been referred to physio, but if the acl is partially torn what are the chances of it tearing completely OS thinks this mainly wear and tear damage, not injury damage, but can the acl get damaged by wear and tear? And if it happened to you, what happened when acl tore completely?

Hi Emma ~ Welcome to the forum & I'm sorry to hear that you've got ACL problems. I suspect the reason you've been referred to physio is to build leg muscles to avoid instability. The ACL, being a bundle of fibers, isn't generally going to repair itself & chances are any instability in that leg will result in further tearing.

I know degnerative changes can result in the meniscus tearing but I've not heard of that happening to the ACL.

My ACL I ruptured when my horse decided to get a little too playful & dumped me on the ground. I happened to land wrong, heard the pops & that was it. But part of the meniscal tearing my OS felt could have been degenerative in nature as the MRI showed both new & old tears. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.