Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee brace effectiveness  (Read 1788 times)

Offline travel agent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee brace effectiveness
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »
Hello-my knee "buckled" on May 24,2007.  A local clinic took x-rays and saw a crack in my kneecap.  I could'nt get to see my orthopedic doctor until May 28.  I gave him the x-rays but forgot to mention the fracture.  He sent me for physical therapy which helped the range of motion.  However, I was unable to perform a straight leg raise.  An MRI indicated the fracture.  He then put me in a brace 2wks after the initial injury.  That was 2 1/2 wks ago with another 1 1/2 wks to go.  I'm hoping that it will heal-just so I can drive and return to work.  What is the success rate of healing with a brace only?  I'm 65yrs old and fairly active.  I usually walk at least 3 mi per day on a treadmill.  I think I'm looking for assurances that it will heal.    Thank you   

gigi67

Re: Knee brace effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:22:09 AM »
why did ur knee buckle? is there an underlying reason for that? ...did u receive the fracture from the buckle? do you have osteopenia if so? have the done a bone scan to check your bone density...maybe your knee buckled because you received a stress fracture...not vice versa???? I ask because i have osteopenia at 41 and thats how i cracked my last bone was just walking..walked half a mile very slowly recovering from hardware removal and fractured my tibia in february..just trying to understand what caused the fracture i guess..my knee buckles all the time since my broken patella but my its because i had a broken patella...my patella hasnt fractured because my knee is buckling sometimes...so i am just curious if something else was overlooked?

Offline travel agent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »
I first injured my knee when I was 16-doing the twist.  As I've gotten older, the knee always seems weak, despite working out 3-4x a week.  I've stopped doing lunges because of the stress on my knees.  The last time the knee gave out was about 20yrs ago.  There doesn't seem to be any reason-although the doctor stated we would have to explore other issues after this is healed.  Thanks for any info   

Offline travel agent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »
I forgot to mention that I have had a bone density test-all is well.   Thanks again

gigi67

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 07:30:50 PM »
oh okay..well then yes it will heal...did your os give you non weight bearing orders...my patella had to be wired back togther and it ha sbeen a long recovery but had other issues involved. For a simple fracture requiring no surgery you should heal up..just listen to your OS and dont get too hot footed to to things before you have been cleared first...dont want any set backs or things that would interfere with healig  properly... you will drive again just b patient! ;)

Offline travel agent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
I saw the MD yesterday, a week earlier than scheduled, because I had some minor pain and I wanted to be sure I was healing.  It's now difficult to see the fracture on x-ray-so he said since it's been 6wks he feels I'm healed.  He adjusted the brace to allow 30degree movement and I'm to adjust it to 45 degree, then 60degrees etc. when I feel confortable. I'm ok to start pt starting immed. but I'm holding off until Jul 21.
  Since Jul 21 was my orig. return date, I might even wait until Jul 28.  He wants me to see a nerouolgist to rule out any abnormality in the knee.  There does'nt seem to be any reason for it to buckle.  However, the knee never has felt strong, especially since I've gotten older.  Perhaps if I concentrate harder on strengtening exercises.  Since I work out often that won't be a problem.    Thanks for you info and encourgement.  I'm very active and can't stand not being able to run all my errands myself.

gigi67

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
well good news then! maybe the pt will help resolve your old weak knee problems when ur able to begin that. :D

support