Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post Op chrondomalacia patella  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Oldknee?

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post Op chrondomalacia patella
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »
I had arthroscopic knee surgery 6/24.  When I woke up, the doctor told me that I had more problems with my knee than he expected and said I had chrondomalatia patella.  I had planned on taking off a week from work then being back to normal - like most people.  Well, with the patella surgery, he told me that I have to be on crutches for 6 WEEKS NON WEIGHT BEARING!!  Is this normal?  I can't believe this!  I have no pain at all.  I have been back to work for a week now but these crutches are killing me!  What he told me is he had to drill 3 holes in the bone to get the blood flowing back to my kneecap.  Anyone else out there that has had this surgery????

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Post Op chrondomalacia patella
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »
Well it depends on what your OS ended up doing to fix or treat the chondromalacia.  There are a few ways he can do that arthroscopically.  So you will have to find out what he did.  If he did a microfracture or something similar, then yes, 6 weeks is normal.  You will just have to find that information out.  If all he did was clean up the cartilage damage, then no, 6 weeks is not normal...it would be a day or so.  Good luck!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »
Drilling holes sounds like a microfracture.  You can ask for a copy of your surgical report and have the OS explain what procedure was done.  If it was a microfracture, you need to keep the weight off to allow the sites to heal.  Have you tried to put some towels over the part under your arm?  Sometimes that helps.  You can try some extra cushioning on the hand grips too.  I have carpel tunnel in my wrists and too long on the crutches really hurts and makes the hands a bit numb.  You will "toughen up" a bit with the crutches, but it seems to take a while.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Oldknee?

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:35:43 PM »
Thanks both of you for the replies.  I was also wondering if the 6 weeks is a firm 6 weeks or could be more or less.  I'm counting down the days (29). I did add pads to the crutches but I'm working and always have stuff to bring back and forth to work - lunch, laptop, etc.  I go back Thursday to have the stitches removed.  I'm hoping to hear better news. 

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
Hi Old Knee, I imagine it will be a firm 6 weeks.  You will have your apt on Thursday to get the stitches out and he will probably tell you to stay on the crutches until your next apt.  So that would be around 6 weeks.  You can handle it, it's not as bad as it sounds.  Get a back pack or something to carry your things back and forth to lunch.  I have learned to carry a bag over my shoulder with my things, but I don't have to carry a laptop back and forth.  They make laptop bags that are back packs.  If I were you, maybe I would look into one.  I have been on crutches for 6 months now and am so used to it, but still hate it.  Well good luck at your apt on Thursday!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)