Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured tibia  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Dawnmover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured tibia
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »
Hello everyone ,i am new to the board.Does anyone know how long does it take from when your cast is on to when you are able to walk on it again?Thanks Dawn

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Fractured tibia
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:03:55 AM »
Where is the fracture in your tibia?  Did you fracture your tibial plateau?

When I was about 12 I had a hairline fracture about mid way down my tibia.  I was in a cast from my toes to mid thigh for 8 weeks. NWB on crutches the entire time.  When the cast was removed my knee was stiff but i was able to put full weight on it right away (remember I was 12).  I had no PT and if i remember correctly it was only a few weeks before I was running around again...If I could only recover that fast now!

Bast of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Dawnmover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »
Hi Thank you for replying, i dont know where my fracture is exactly i seen on the xray it was on the ankle i think.sounds a bit dozey doesnt it!!But i live in Spain and  yes they were talking Spanish mainly,plus i was in so much pain i didnt know what i was doing!!!I have an hospital appointment tomorrow so should know how its healing, and hopefully no more warfarin injections. Regards Dawn  :)

gigi67

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »
well my tibia fracture was a hairline fracture that went all the way across the tibia...at the ankle also and i was no weight bearing for 6 weeks and in a boot for 8 BUT i also have osteopenia with a moderate stress fracture risk and I actually fractured my tibia...simply from wlalking but i had other factors involved  but i feel your pain..my old fracture line still hurts sometimes and its been since february.

Offline Dawnmover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
Hi Gigi, sorry to hear about your fracture also.I went to the hospital today and the good news is that it is healing well he said and that i will need the cast on until the 12th August.My Daughter is getting married on the 28th july so i guess  i will be hopping there lol!!We cannot fly so are going to drive so be fun. I still have to take the dreaded warfarin injections i dont like taking them are they safe to take as i have to take for a month.All this whinging lol!!Thank you foir your concern and replies ,Regards Dawn

gigi67

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 02:17:15 AM »
warfarin for a month? did they say why?  Did they do surgery? I was on a blood thinner but only for the first two weeks i believe..maybe only a whole week..no i think 2...sorry its been a while....ummm no citrus or green foods from what i remember
 at my sons recent wedding i walked down the isle without a cane or crutch for the 1st time in 13 months but the brides maid...well she broke her foot one week before the wedding so she had a boot on with her dress...i walked donnw with the assistance of my hubbys arm  but i waited  along time for that!  it was from feb to june though from my tibia break..but it toook some rehab to get me u and walking again altogether....when u get to that point this site is very helpful...I am assuming u r non weight bearing?....u will still b proud and pretty
 no matter.... :D

Offline Dawnmover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:08:54 AM »
Hi gigi67,How are you getting on?Havent been on here for a while been home to the uk for the wedding it went really well.I walked in the church on crutches, was determined not to use the wheelchair and have some great pics waiting to be processed of my husbandcarrying me out of the church lol!!The leg is out of the cast and was suprised when they took it off a few weeks ago that it was still a little black from the bruising. The uk doctors  told me it had healed well and gave me an aircast boot(rooney boot they call it)!Well i wore itfor two weeks and was lovely to have my leg free at night.Oh how i appreciated my first bath in 6 weeks lol,couldnt get me out of there lol!!Anyway walking on the foot now with lots of swelling is this normal? But at least am walking.Thank you for listening  Dawnx How is your leg?

Offline Dawnmover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »
[quote author=Dawnmover link=topic=43244.msg397328#msg397328 date=1219655334
Hi gigi67,How are you getting on?Havent been on here for a while been home to the uk for the wedding it went really well.I walked in the church on crutches, was determined not to use the wheelchair and have some great pics waiting to be processed of my husbandcarrying me out of the church lol!!The leg is out of the cast and was suprised when they took it off a few weeks ago that it was still a little black from the bruising. The uk doctors  told me it had healed well and gave me an aircast boot(rooney boot they call it)!Well i wore itfor two weeks and was lovely to have my leg free at night.Oh how i appreciated my first bath in 6 weeks lol,couldnt get me out of there lol!!Anyway walking on the foot now with lots of swelling is this normal? But at least am walking.Thank you for listening  Dawnx How is your leg?

Oh i forgot to say i danced also at my daughters wedding !!!! on my cruthces noone was going to stop me either lol!!

gigi67

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »
welcome back. be careful walking and bearing weight. take it from my own personal experience... build up slowly! partial weight bearing and gradually put more weight on it and when you do bear full weight, walk small..i mean build up on the length you walk..I started out walking 1/10th of a mile and over a three onths period I am finally up to a mile with no cane or crutch. my leg is soooo much better but the old break line still hurts somtimes... the tibia is a hard break to recover from...as is the knee. swelling is normal just really keep up on icing for a while...twenty minutes..especially after walking, therapy. has your OS started therapy yet? if you have ins maybe ask about getting some therapy just for safe measure???? icing is important for a while..I am 16 months post patella break and  6 months post tibia fracture and i still have to ice once in a while for pain or swelling....oh, a mild compression sock will help with the swelling as you increase your activity. rehab can cut you off some compression tubing or your dr can help you get one. oh, the reason i say do it gradually is because remember thats why I cracked my tibia..too much too soon.

when you start trying to increase your weight bearing start with both crutches but simply allowing more weight to bear on the foot.then go to one crutch on the opposite side of your injury..lots of people use crutches wrong and use it on the same side of the injury...it goes under the arm of the opposite leg...then go to a cane...opposite side. you may find you will use a cane for a while. eventually you will be free!!! just be patient!!!!! I cant stress that enuff. I know you wanna hurry and get back to living but slow and steady is best! if you leg starts to hurt pretty bad with the swelling you may wanna go back to your Os and get a mri to rule out stress fractures.... anyway Im glad you got to enjoy the wedding. I went hiking in the woods last weekend..that was a milestone accomplishment! and I plan to keep at it into this fall!

keep pushing forward!