Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: advice please :)  (Read 914 times)

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
advice please :)
« on: July 05, 2008, 04:13:09 PM »
Helllooo
Havent been on here for ages, which is a good thing i guess as it means my knees have been fine up until yesterday :)
Well... I have just got back from a holiday in the lake district where i was walking up mountains etc. Going up the mountain was fine but yesterday as soon as i started to come down my knees began hurting, the pain was fine and the expedition leader said it was normal to get pain in your knees when going down hill.  Both knees were hurting so badly that in the end she lent me her walking poles.  They helped a bit and I managed to get to the bottom but very slowly to the annoyance of the rest of the group.
My knees were really swollen by the bottom of the mountain so i iced them and rested etc yesterday evening
My left knee is fine but just a bit stiff, yet my right knee is really stiff & swollen on the inner side of my leg so i can hardly bend it without this feeling something is going to move out of place.  Its not that painful just really strange, uncomfortable feeling.  I can just about walk on it though.
Any idea whats wrong? Advice on what to do? When should i think about seeing a doctor? etc...

Thanks
Hannah :) xx

Offline han_3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »
heya, it's been a little while since you posted and i've only just spotted your post here. How are your knees now? Has the swelling in your right knee gone down to 'normal' now? I'm a newbie on here so I'm afraid I don't know the story of yout knees but it sounds like you had a nasty flare up in the hills on holiday.

I would say that you did the right thing to rest and ice as soon as you could - you had rarely go wrong with that.

Walking poles are a must for those of us with dodgy knees etc as they take more strain off the joints than one might realise. The French always laugh at the English in the Alps with no poles as it makes a massive difference to both performance and posture. Imho I would say your knees took a bit of a battering on holiday (especially if you felt pressured to keep up with the group) and very little PT will prepare the tendons and ligaments for consecutive days in the hills. Perhaps everything needs some time to settle back down again and the feeling of something about to move out of place is due to the ligaments being stretched slightly more than usual...inadequate recovery time between activity sessions can cause feelings of instability.

I hope this is some help, let us all know how you are getting on,

Han x (PS good name!)   

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
hi thanks for the reply,
My left knee is all fine now, except a little stiff at times, yet my right knee has not got any better, infact maybe slightly worse.
The swelling is less overall, but there is still quite a bit on the inner side of my right knee and it keeps clicking when I extend or bend it
I am going on a three week holiday on friday (relaxing on a beach so plenty of rest, no walking thankfully) so I am unsure about whether I should go to the doctors or not before then (?)
This is the first time I have done anything to my right knee so its worrying that I could have two dodgy knees :(
I just dont know what to do because it doesnt exactly hurt that much and so paracetamol wont do anything, i have no idea what is going to make it better

Thanks
Hannah  :) xx

Offline han_3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »
Hi,

Glad that your left knee is behaving. I am a little concerned that your right hasn't got any better; did you feel it 'go' or twist at all or was it just progressively getting worse during your days in the hills? Paracetamol is no good after a certain point...are you able to take ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatories, perhaps some stong ones would give your knee a helping hand.

What was the story from your knees before? Cartilage problems have the potential to cause a lot of pain and weak(er) medial ligaments may be causing the swelling and bruising if you've pushed too hard. I'm only guessing here though. If you are worried and particularly have had problems with knees before I would recommend seeing the dr or someone in the know!

Take care,
Han x

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
Heya,

I have tried ibuprofen and it has stopped the swelling mostly, but it doesn't stop this strange, weak feeling in my right knee or the clicking.  Its no longer that painful thankfully, just really stiff so when i walk i can't bend it much.

I haven't really had serious problems with my knees in the past, i twisted my left knee two years ago and slightly damaged the medial ligament and meniscus but with some physio it has rarely been a problem (and i am a really active person).  And i have never done anything to my right leg before, until now

Well, my knees were fine climbing up the mountain and we started going down this really steep bit where I was putting a lot of pressure on my knees (also I was carrying a full expedition rucksack at the time which I can only imagine made it worse!)  Then I put my right foot down strangely and it slightly twisted the right knee, kind of felt like it bend inwards almost, the pain wasn't that bad but it got worse from that moment.  And I couldn't really stop and rest it so I just slowly hobbled to the bottom of the mountain with my friends walking poles!

It just seems weird going to the doctors if there isn't much pain or swelling now, and I don't know if I will get an appointment by Thursday (before i go on holiday)

Thanks for all your advice :)
Hannah xx

Offline han_3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:20 PM »
Hi Hannah,

You will probably be reading this after you get back from holiday - I hope you had a good time.

My feeling is that you would benefit more from booking an appointment with a physio rather than a doctor; however as I cannot see your knee(s) this will only be ideas based upon what you've written. The physio will be able to make educated decisions about whether you will need further physio sessions to address the balance of your muscles etc and ensure everything is healing up and strengthening back ok. If you have built in any compensations for muscle weaknesses around your knee joints from previous injuries this will also be picked up.

I would also recommend you consider footbeds for your boots (and indeed trainers), your walking/hiking boots themselves and walking poles. Properly fitted footbeds (I'm assuming you don't have them...I don't mean to patronise, you never know what kind of info people have encountered!!) will help to address any possible alignment issues in your lower body reducing strain on your back, hips, ankles, feet and of course knees - over pronation or supination is sometomes more common than you think and a good running shoe store will often have a treadmill with gait analysis and well trained staff. Footbeds should be specific to your feet no matter what spiel the assistant will tell you about this or that product. Custom moulding is fairly standard in the ski world and should have permeated the running world more!

Expertly fitted hiking boots is often overlooked but can quickly make life a pleasure or a chore on the hill. If you have any doubt over your boots I would take them and yourself to an outdoor shop with intelligent life form as staff...I'm sure you know what I mean here. Don't be afraid to try on every boot in the shop; including perhaps an unexpected size or two. I've always worn a UK womens size 3 or 4 until I discovered quite recently in fact I was about UK 2.5 with very wide fitting and high (mostly unsupported arches). Now I know why I suffered from blisters and sore feet constantly on the hill- it only took me a pair of ice boots in the Alps to find out.

I hope this info is of some use. I'm sorry if you feel I have assumed you don't know anything. You may embarrass me with the knowledge you are an international mountain guide or olympic athlete next time you're about lol.
Best Wishes,
Han x

Offline noodles_ht

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »
Thank you so much for your advice, and no i am not an international mountain guide or an olympic athlete and yes you are correct in assuming I don't know that much  ;D

You're right, I probably could do with footbeds or some sort of orthotics device type thing as my ankles roll inwards and I have exceptionally flat feet which I guess only makes my knee pain worse.  And probably by sorting out my alignment problems (both my legs turn inwards) my knees would feel a lot better so that is the first thing I will do when I get back from my holiday.

My knee is thankfully feeling a lot better (apart from unbelievabley i got stung by a bee on the exact part of my dodgy knee which hurt, my first EVER bee or wasp sting...how strange!).  And I was talking to my physio yesterday on the telephone and he said that I had probably partially torn the medial ligament from the medial meniscus, or done something along those lines, and that with some rest and PT I should make a quick recovery over the summer, just in time for the start of the netball season :)

So it's all looking a lot better at the moment :)

Off on my holiday tomorrow so I will update you of anything when I return :)

And wow you have quite small feet, I am a UK size 5 and most of my female friends are 7's or 8's!

Well anyway thanks for all the advice & hope you have a good few weeks :)
Hannah x