Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: uncomfortable/not pain surgery?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline kld

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
uncomfortable/not pain surgery?
« on: September 18, 2002, 05:36:53 PM »
i dont know what to do . i have constant discomfort in my knee, as it feels like it is catching on something when i bend and straighten it, but i wouldnt say it's pain,, just yucky
 pt hasnt helped (5 months), MRIs dont show anything that would be catching (2 mris)
  do i do exploratory surgery or just live w/ it? it's an auful feeling that makes me crazy, but do i want to avoid going in at all costs?
29 year old athletic female; plica removal 10/02

Offline Liz_-_UK

• Forum Faithful
  • Together is the bestest place to be
Re: uncomfortable/not pain surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 06:16:07 PM »
Kld,

You have to make the decision but if it was me i would go for an arthroscopy. I've had three (as well as open surgeries) with no ill effects. They can be done in a day and you can be back at work in about three days. I walked out of the hospital after mine and there was very little discomfort.

They can often show things MRI's can', perhaps cos the surgeon can move the joint about and see what happens. This can show if things are catching or moving awkwardly or wearing down.

See what your OS says - what have you got to lose? At least you would then know what the problem is and could decide where to go from there.

Take care and keep us posted,

Liz
xxx
03/95 - LR on left knee, 08/95 - LR on right knee, 03/98 - failed TTT left knee. Several scopes. 12/01 TTT and LR on left knee. Great for a while but now more problems.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 09:57:51 PM »
I'd say go with your gut feeling, my os didn't want me to have my op at first but  lot of debating got me there and even though I had had an incoclusive MRI, there was still a lot that needed doing.

You will know what is right, you must follow your heart on this one.

Iona

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 11:11:02 PM »
kld

I agree with Iona and Liz.  If you've endured this much discomfort and pt doesn't help, it's time to take more invasive action.  I have had 6 scopes (3 on each knee) over the years, and while "piece of cake" may not quite be appropriate, it isn't that uncomfortable.  I had my last on Wed. and was back at my desk Mon. a.m.  At least afterward, you'd know if you indeed, have a problem, or you don't.  MRI is not 100%, I don't even think its close!

Yes, go with your gut.

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline Lori

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Super Lori :-p
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 08:13:49 AM »
Hi!
My first MRI way back when showed absolutely nothing. To this day if I hadn't gone under for a scope my doctors would think my knee was perfectly fine!!! It ended up not fine at all and now many surgeries later (3 scopes, one open) I am still trying to get my knee fixed!!! It really helped to have that first scope and know that there realy was something wrong with my knee and it wasnt just me thinking it! Good luck in making your decision...let me know what you decide and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
(((HUGS)))
Lori
P.S. After my OS determined there was nothing in x-rays or MRI's and I finally convinced him to do a scope he told me he was almost 100% sure he was going to just cut me open for no reason and find nothing!!! After doing my research...The morning of surgery....half knocked out by the drugs I said to him...its going to be a prob with my plica and its gonna be ten times worse than u think...well thats what ended up happening..and it was def pretty bad in there...not what he expected at all. And that was only a tiny part of the issues my knee has had...my knee has many other probs that my first MRI never showed so that just goes to show that MRI's aren't always accurate!!! Unfortunately after my TTT (most recent surgery) my pain is still there...and of course the OS wnats to do an MRI even though he claims the screws in my knee will blur the vision of it. Now that sounds pointless, aye?? Oh well. Hope this helps. Take care.
12/00 Plica Excision(L)
7/01 LR(L)
5/02 Distal Realignment with Oblique Osteotomy(L)
9/02 Cortisone Injection(L)
12/02 Garbage Removal (Shredded Tissue,etc) B/c My Kneecap Was Not Even Visible(L)

support