Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Synvisc or scope? Help?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline jmacphee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synvisc or scope? Help?
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:50:56 PM »
I am new to this board, and would like to ask a few general questions.

I am 47, and I have had knee problems for years. About 4 years ago, I had my right knee scoped. The result was OK....not wonderful, but pretty good pain relief and fair improvement in being able to move it. It has given me 4 years of decent service :). The OS said TKR was the next step, but I am not ready for that yet.

However, my "good" knee, the left one, has gotten terrible in the last year...to the point that in the last few weeks, I have had days that I can't even walk without a walker. I am a teacher, so this is not good.

My OS (a different dr. from my original one) gave me all the options: Synvisc, scoping (to repair tears and clean up the joint), partial knee replacement, total knee replacement.  I have to say that I feel he gave me a very balanced report on the pros and cons of all treatments and didn't try to "sell" me anything. He himself is 53 and has bad knees. He said that he has had 4 years of Synvisc treatment, trying to buy time before a TKR. He admits that everyone has different results.

So here's my question: Synvisc or scoping?  I have read responses on this board, and I see results ranging from great to no improvement to terrible.  I have already had the scope thing with no huge problems. ShouId I stick to what I have experience with?  Confused.  Not ready for joint replacement yet.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: Synvisc or scope? Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:47:45 AM »
Hi,

I have never tried Synvisc, but I would think it would work better if the knee was cleaned out first anyway, so why not go for the scope and see what happens, then try the Synvisc afterwards if things don't improve as much as you'd like. That way the doc also gets a better look at what is happening in your knee. You are lucky to have had a good result from your scope. I'm envious!! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kathy

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
Hi there,

I had a similar type of injection (same stuff, different brand name).  The shots can be painful, but it really does not make things anyworse.  If your insurance covers them, it may be a good place to start.  You can always schedule a scope if they don't work.  Unfortunately they really did not help me much.  It seems that they either work great or they don't.  The shots are less invasive, but may not help.  Best of luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline jmacphee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. I had a steroid injection 2 days ago, and the result has been great. There are still moments when I shift my weight a certain way, and I can feel that terrible pinch, but the swelling, throbbing and aching are gone. Of course, I have been warned that the coritsone effect will wear off, can only be given 2 more times and may be less effective on subsequent times.

But the last 2 nights have been the first time in more than a year that I could sleep without my throbbing knee waking me up multiple times. Last Sunday, I needed a walker to get around, but now I can walk fairly normally without too much pain. 

I know this won't last forever...just wanted to be armed with information for the next go round.