Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee resurfacing  (Read 2818 times)

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee resurfacing
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:32:27 AM »
I am a 35 year old male.  I had a medial meniscus tear and removal way back in 1991.  In December of 2007, I also had a medial and lateral meniscus tear and removal.  I was told that I have moderate osteoarthritis behind the knee cap.  Since the last operation, the pain and osteoarthritis has gotten worse.  My doctor suggested physical therapy, 5 Synvisc injections and 2 injections of cortisone.  All have not reduced the pain or swelling in my knee.  He, as well as two other doctors, said that I need a total knee replacement.  Yet, none want to do it, because of my age (which I totally agree and understand).  He wants to try a lateral release or patello-femoral resurfacing.  I have mixed emotions of the LT, and do not think that is the way to go.  Has anyone every had the resurfacing done?  If so, could you tell me about your experience? Recovery time?  Limitations?  Expected time back to work? What to expect afterwards.  Any and all information, including other options would greatly be appreciated!  Thank you in advance!
Left knee scope - June 1991
Left knee hyper extended left  2005
left knee sever knee sprain 2006
Right knee scope - October 2007
Left knee scope - December 2007
Left knee Synvisc injections April 2008

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:33 AM »
Welcome aboard,
 As far as resurfacing is involved I had Arthrosurface hemi cap installed in Dec of 07. My damage was very specific from an accident. My damage area was less then 40mm on both the patella and and femur. On the knee the cap they used polyethylene to fix the damage and on the femur a combo of titanium(scre and a chrome molly cap. It did relieve the pain but to date I am still having trouble kneeling. Being that I am 44 my only other option was a PKR and at my age they rather wait. There is some kind of liquid that they have been injecting into some peoples knees with some success. Not sure what it is called.I had a total of 5 small tears through out my meniscus which were surgically taken care of in July of 07. The lesions that they fixed in December were to big to leave alone.(locking up happen if I sat to long or walked to much)  Every day pain is gone but at the cost of sports. I start back to work on Monday after 18 months off and the real test will begin then. Good luck to you and hope you find some answers. This site has helped out a lot there are a lot of great people on it.
RoTTeN KiD
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
I belive the injections you are referring to, I have had.  I had five injecions of Synvisc.  Which, if I am not mistaken, is ground rooster comb.  I was told there is a 50 per cent chance of them working.  They did not work for me.  Two weeks after the last shot, I was given a shot of cortisone.  That also, did not work.

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:04 PM »
Stay away from cortisone. Cortisone makes cartilage brittle and should only be used as a last resort. Europe has a paste that goes on like bondo and they buff it out after they fill in all the missing cartilage. This wont be available in the states for at least 3 years if not longer. Our standards for testing are a little bit more strict then most of Europe. But they are way a head of us as far as new procedures.
Take care
RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
damn three years?!?!?!

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:17:44 AM »
Has your doctor told you to be on crutches to help ease the pain ? I had my knee replaced at 36. Let me tell you..  if the pain is unbearable they will do it.   What is the point of being in pain for so many years?  If your that bad your that bad.. If your holding your own and they see your holding your own they will keep giving you pep talks and pain meds.

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »
no. he has not suggested to use crutches or any walking aid.  He has only suggested to the RICE care.  He won't, nor do I want, prescribe any pain meds.   He is currently contacting insurance company and hospital to make final plans for the operation, which is to be on July 25th.  Am I correct that knee resurfacing is the same a partial knee replacement?  Do you know how soon I would be able to drive?

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »
Depends on what leg if your right leg is done in the states it will be about four to six weeks before your doc will let you. However if its your left leg you could be driving in as little as 6 days at least thats how long I waited. Any where else were driving is opposite  of USA just flip around. Reason is you will not be able to fire your quad muscle properly for a couple of weeks if not longer and you need that to press gas and brake peddles. And depending on the extant of what they do you will probably be wearing some kind of brace for awhile. The first few days after surgery I was using a walker, then two crutches then one till i was finally able to walk with out any help about two weeks. I was lucky the place I went to for therapy had pick up service so i didn't have to worry about rides the first two weeks. 
 Total recovery will be around six months. This is the average some faster some slower. You should be able to get around pretty decent in about two to three weeks. Ice will become your new best friend and if your lucky you will get a polar ice unit or something like it to help with the icing. Also you will get a leg bending machine that if you can tolerate it  live in in for the first couple of weeks. This will help get your flex back faster don't be afraid to use the pain meds here. The more you bend it in the beginning the better it will be in the long run.
 Good Luck and keep posting.
 RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
You know from the way you are talking about it just being knee resurfacing.. It doesnt sound like a implant.  When a doctor does an implant operation .. They tell you what type of implant they are going to put in you ahead of time.  Could be some type of microfracture ..   

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »
rottenkid, it will be on my left leg. So I guess I will be returning to work, quicker than I thought.

Plumb, My doc did tell me that he will be placing a plastic "shell" behind my knee cap and a metal piece under my thigh bone.  However, when I said to him, well is that a partial knee replacement, he said no.  It is a resurfacing.  Im not really sure of the difference. 

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:05:36 PM »
ok.  I have a plastic disc cemented to the back of my knee cap .  Maybe there is a small metal piece that they use in the notch that the knee cap sits in.  well sounds like it.. 

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 04:05:09 AM »
yes it does sound like it!  How long was it till you could drive?  Go to work? 

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »
UpUrs,
 Mine was a plastic button on knee cap and chrome molly on femur. Asked your doctor if its the hemi cap system he's using kind of sounds like it. To get to the knee cap you must flip it over the cut is the same as a TKR about a 6 inch cut. They also have to cut part of the VMI muscle and that is what takes along time to heal. Resurfacing of the knee is consider a partial knee replacement or at least mine was. Any time part or all of your knee is is removed and metal or plastic is installed it is some kind of replacement. Check out www.arthrosurface.com and you can see my procedure. Being your left leg your driving will come around faster you will know when your ready to drive.
Good luck
RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline UpUrs

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)