Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction 22 Y/O Male  (Read 989 times)

Offline PatDog453

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction 22 Y/O Male
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:39:42 AM »
I tore my ACL last week playing Basketball; I am a 22 year old male. Ever since then I have been freaking out and researching my options for surgery, and I cant seem to find one best solution. The surgeon I was introduced to at ASU, Dean Cummings suggested an Allograph surgery, using a double bundle posterior tibialis allograft. I have not been able to find much info on this particular graft choice, and I am nervous about it. I have also looked at hamstring grafts, and patellar grafts, but I really dont know what the best choice for me is. I really care if they have to go in and take my hamstrings, if that is what will give me the best results, all I want is to have a knee that is almost as good as new and will last me for the rest of my life, I dont want any problems. I also have no idea what surgeon to use, as I dont know many people in town, and I pretty much have only been introduced to Dr. Cummings, whom I cant seem to find that much information on. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them, regarding graft choice, surgeon, anything, I am really in need of some info.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:25:10 AM by PatDog453 »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: ACL reconstruction 22 Y/O Male
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
I think Tiger Woods just had that same kind of surgery in Park City, Utah. At any rate, there are pros and cons with every choice. At the end of the day you should focus on finding a good surgeon because that is the most important component for a successful surgery. Let the surgeon explain the pros and cons and what method he prefers.

Offline PatDog453

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »
Ya, I have been trying to find a good surgeon but I dont honestly know where to look, theres 100's of them in phoenix and I dont know where to start!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »
The best thing to do is get referrals from family, friends, neighbors and co-workers. Ask your primary care doctor and ask some of the local physical therapists for recommendations. Also, trainers at high schools and colleges near you might be able to make recommendations. Search for websites for any of the local orthopedic groups. Most of them have websites nowadays. Often they will list the doctors, where they went to school, their specialties and other things about them. Just go to Google and search for orthopedic surgeons and Phoenix. The phone book will often list web pages also.

Offline PatDog453

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »
Been about a week since i tore my acl, now my good knee is starting to kill me, I am probably overusing it, it feels like it is practically sprained from me using it, is there any way to prevent this?

Offline queeny

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »
I too am having a problem with my "good" knee. Its very common as your uninjured knee is taking a lot of extra strain. If you are in PT, I'd suggest you get your therapist to look at it.

For me, it's due to patella maltracking which I get in both knees, so Im doing PT on my good knee. Since I started with the PT, the uninjured knee has been pretty good and I havent had the need to tape it.

Offline PatDog453

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:27:14 PM »
Well my surgery is scheduled for the 16th, going with the hamstring on recommendation of my surgeon. Its a big relief to finally know when I am going to be fixed!