Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: would bone to bone rubbing show up on xrays  (Read 1961 times)

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
would bone to bone rubbing show up on xrays
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:03:23 PM »
i dont meet with my surgeon till thursday and i am going through all sorts of emtions, i spoke with him on phone when he told me it was bad news and that cartlidge doesnt regrow. I cant rememeber word for word as i went into shock but he said things along the lines of cartlidge is worn down and there is a ulcer on the bone. walking for 30 + mins and standing for long peroids will give pain. He said something about it being on the right hand side - so i dont know if its all the cartlidge or in one place. The thing is though I cant find any info on ulcer on the bones and my xray didnt show any problem, there were standing xrays for all angles surly if they are rubbing the xray would have shown this? I need to wait til thursday for full infomation but at 27 i feel my life is over.

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
Re: would bone to bone rubbing show up on xrays
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:52:41 AM »
Hmm. The xrays yes can show the bone on bone, because they show the narrowing of the joint space. My friend who needed a knee replacement got xrays but didn't even need MRIs.
The MRIs however show the soft tissue impact, and will show things like osteoarthritis. Don't get too upset until you have more information. If the cartilage wear is only one side that might be good as there can be some options such as an osteotomy.  But this is all speculation WITHOUT a medical degree. Sorry.
Be sure to write down everything he says after your appointments. Best of luck and keep us posted.   
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline JulieRose6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:44:33 AM »
I had the same issue as you. I know what he's talking about. Cartilidge will not grow back no matter how many arthoscopic surgeries you have. I had a cartilage transplant which he may suggest to you its called an OATS procedure, they pretty much take out the damaged area and replace it with donor cartilage. Did you dislocate your knee a lot that you have the damage on the right side, thats where mine was (but I am really not good at my left and rights). You can sometimes see the damage on the MRI, but it really depends my surgeon had my MRI to go by when he did the surgery and saw that it was more damaged  when he opened me up. Hopefully all goes well.

Julie
Arthoscopic (3/2002)
Fulkerson/Lateral Release/Arthoscopic (12/2002)
Arthoscopic/ Screw Removal (10/2003)
Arthoscopic (12/2006)
Oats Procedure (3/2008)
Partial Knee Replacement (11/09)
Partial Knee Replacement (6/10)

Offline ziggy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:29 AM »
When he refers to ulcer he may be talking about a bone cyst which is quite common where you get bone on bone defects in the cartilage.  These lesions are normally grade iv.
Aug-00 TKR l knee
May-01 Remove scar tissue l knee
Mar-03 Rev l knee and Arthroscopy r knee
Sep-04 Rev TKR l knee
May-05 Peroneal release
Nov-06 Peroneal release
Jan-07 Ulna shortening
Nov-08 open debridment l knee
2011 arthroscopy r knee, severe break l wrist, TKR r knee
2012nerve damage both legs

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
yeah it stems from a football injury in which i dislocated my knee cap, the x rays i had taken recently where from front back and side - all stood up while applying weight to that leg. in the letter to my gp which i was copiped into he said the xrays where unremarkable (not unnormal)