Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pain clinic questions???  (Read 990 times)

Offline chaos

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
pain clinic questions???
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:48:25 AM »
i am sure there are many people here who have been seen at a pain clinic.  My appointment is rapidly approaching and I am wondering what to expect.   They have sent me loads of paperwork I am working on.  They do not have a website.  It is under remodeling.  What exactly goes on at these places?  Anyone had any success?  I was shocked to find out the inital appointment was expected to last four hours or more.  I guess i am kind of nervous and don't have a clue what is going to go on other than I will be speaking to an rn or pa and a psychologist?
any info would be greatly appreciated.  i am trying to be optomistic but wonder if they just send us here when they have no other idea how on earth to deal with us cuz we are pains in the posterior.

Allison
beauty always comes from within.  the outside doesn't matter.

Offline JulieRose6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: pain clinic questions???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:39:01 AM »
Hey I went to a pain clinic for like 3 years and I developed an addiction to pain killers from it, so beware of those doctors. Some doctors will hand them out like candy, no joke. The first doctor was already saying epiderals on my back the second he walked into the room, weird huh? The second one seemed fine but after a while it seemed like it was a cattle ranch. They kept pushing people through just to give out meds. I have not been to one since May 2006 and I am so happy. I would be very careful of those doctors and yourself. You can easy get addiction to painkillers and if you don't have the right doctors they can cause it. I still have pain and I even had a major operation but I deal with the pain without narcotics. I never had a 4 hour visit that seems kind of suspcious. Check their credentials if you are having doubts because that sounds a little shady if I don't say so myself. Well best of luck!

Julz
Arthoscopic (3/2002)
Fulkerson/Lateral Release/Arthoscopic (12/2002)
Arthoscopic/ Screw Removal (10/2003)
Arthoscopic (12/2006)
Oats Procedure (3/2008)
Partial Knee Replacement (11/09)
Partial Knee Replacement (6/10)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: pain clinic questions???
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
Hey I went to a pain clinic for like 3 years and I developed an addiction to pain killers from it, so beware of those doctors. 

If you got addicted to pain killers it's your fault, not the doctor's. Less than 1% of people that take pain killers for pain get addicted. There is a huge difference between being dependent and addicted. Being addicted means you take more than prescribed, run out early, buy drugs on the street or elsewhere, doctor shop and use different pharmacies trying to fake out your doctor. Being dependent just means you might have withdrawals if you stop taking the drug suddenly. This is true of many maintenance drugs, not just pain killers.

Okay, so much for the quick education. My pain management doctor is a well-respected Physical Medicine & Rehab doctor, (aka Physiatrist). He specializes in spine and brain injuries but handles all aspects of pain management. He does not run a pain clinic that hands out drugs like candy. A good pain management doctor will first try several techniques to help your pain. These could include injections, and there are several kinds of injections, not just epidural steroid injections. There's also physical therapy, bio-feedback and several other things depending on what is causing pain and why. Treatment may also include pain killers. That is what they are for, relieving pain. Taken responsibly they are a very safe way to help with your pain so you can live your life. Unfortunately, posts like Julz' are what gives such doctors a bad rap. And many people have a misconception that taking pain killers for any length of time is somehow wrong. Like any specialty, there are bad doctors in the pain management area. But the good ones are a godsend to those of us that need them.