Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need some advice about a scope  (Read 1585 times)

Offline daedalus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Need some advice about a scope
« on: June 29, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
I posted a while ago about my knee injury, and here's a short recap.  I injured my right knee about 2 years ago in a motorcycle accident.  I had a deep cut down to the surface of the ligament, but the ligament was intact.  I did not get surgery and was expecting to make a full recovery.

Fast forward two years and my knee still hurts and gets very sore when standing or walking.  I have seen three OS's, had three MRI's, and still no definitive answers.  The last OS basically said I can get a scope done, but it's up to me.  He didn't make a recommendation one way or the other.

So now I'm completely confused and frustrated.  There's a chance a scope will allow the OS to figure out what is causing the pain, but there is no guarantee he can fix it.   And I'm sure he can make things worse.  So do I get the scope done, and take my chances?

What should my expectations be if I decide to get the scope done?

Thanks in advance. 

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Need some advice about a scope
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »
It really depends on how bad your pain is and how it's effecting your quality of life. A scope is the only way your doctor can find out what's wrong and potentially fix the problem. Scopes are pretty minor surgeries for the most part and the vast majority of people heal up quickly and go on their way. The outcome will be totally dependent on what, if anything, gets repaired. More than likely, you won't be worse off. You pretty much have to decide if you want your knee to feel the way it does forever or if you want it to be fixed.

Offline daedalus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I certainly don't want my knee to feel like this forever.  While I have a full range of motion and can walk, it does get very sore after standing for a few minutes or walking even a moderate distance.  I'm just concerned that the OS won't know what's wrong and what to fix.   

So I'm starting to wonder if there is any solution at all, or if I just have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life.  The MRI shows my ligament, cartilage, etc completely intact and undamaged so the OS does not know what is causing the pain. 

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »
If the MRI doesn't show much your OS won't ever know the cause of your pain unless he does a scope. It is also a diagnostic tool. So not having surgery because you don't know the cause of the pain doesn't make a lot of sense. Your surgeon will know how to fix whatever he finds when he gets in there.

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »
My OS had no idea what was causing so much pain in my right knee. I have had 3 previous scopes done it before. however all my xrays and mri's looked normal. he went in there and that was when he actually found out that there was a reason for my pain. I would recommend having it done just to see if they can get any more information. :)
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline daedalus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
thanks again for your replies.  it sounds like a scope may be the way to go.  probullrider, did the OS fix the problem or do you still have pain?

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »
i would recommend the scope.  I had one done for my mysterios problem, (MRI and xray didn't show crap).
THey said my situaion would have never resolved. 

Beware though - depending on what they do you may have a long recovery process.  My particular situation is I'm 5 months out and just noticing major differences now.  I was actually told 6 months before we know how well it worked, and 6-9months should be recovery months.

I'm telling you knee surgery is harder to recofer from tham heart surgery.  Its just cuz you use it constantly and strengthening is SLOW SLOW SLOW.. with luck, you'll be in and out with a trimming or clean up and in 4 weeks be fine.  In my case (30 yr old in great shape before scope) I'm 5 months out and still doing pt and recovering.

good luck. let me know if you have any questions I went through it, and I may need to again.  Its a suprising, difficult road to travel but you can get through it.

THis board has been a huge help - and a huge eye opener for me.  Sometimes I read too much on here and feel like its hopeless, but there are VERY FEW people on here who made full recoveries and still post.  Keep that in mind most of us are recovering or having problems.. be objective.

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »
Unfortunatly he was not able to fix the problem but he did what he could. The reason that he could not fix it is in order to fix it i will have to have open knee surgery and he would not do that at untill he got the chance to let me know what it was that he found out. he thinks that the next suregery will help out alot more. i have had trouble with this knee for 20+ years. I can tell you that when i hurt my left knee (never had any problems with that one before) my OS did the scope and that knee is great 12 years later  ;D
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline holly101

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
When I had my MRI and X Rays they showed everything as normal.  Doctor insu=iste don scoping it since he felt something was not right.  When he got in there he found out that I had two spots in my knee cartlidge that was worn through to the bone.  You can't always trust the MRI.  In my case it was the best thing for me.

Offline daedalus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  I am leaning towards getting a scope done, but I will research it some more before I do.  I will probably have more questions as I do my research.  I really appreciate everyone's help!

Offline friendsfan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »
Hi, I just thought i would add my little piece, MRIs arent 100% accurate, ive had 2 both coming back normal..however i opted for a scope I had it 2 weeks ago and it turned out my cartlidge is damaged and soft my bone is fickle, I will need a knee replacement, and also when I had my scope done I ended up having a TTT.
so basically the point of my story is Im so pleased I had it done as the scans missed it. I really dont regret it 
5-3-07 injured knee-no ROM
2-5-07 LK scope + MUA
26-6-08-LK TTT and scope
10-12-08-LK MUA
12-6-09-RK scope
26-8-09 RK TTT