Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: disappointing news from OS  (Read 1277 times)

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
disappointing news from OS
« on: July 31, 2003, 11:25:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I got some answers from my OS. My CT scan showed little or no bone growth after 4 1/2 mos. since my surgery and my external fixator was installed.

The nurse said my slow bone healing seems to be likely caused by rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or some other joint desease because of my simptoms. On a weekly basis they are pushing my tibia ends together by tightening the threaded rods on my external fixator. I hope they don't break another wire by putting so much pressure on them.

They also got me a bone stimulator that is supposed to induce bone growth by ultrasound. I am supposed to do this 20 mins. a day.

So I am waiting for test results for rheumatoid arthritis and hoping for the best with this bone stimulator.

They said they don't know how long this could take now and my HTO for my right leg will have to wait while they try to find out what is going on with me. I said I didn't know if I would have a job to go back to anymore and I don't know if I will be able to have a physical job now.

I used to be anxious to get back to my job and my life , but that is looking farther away all the time. We'll see what these test results come back with. Good luck with your own knee problems everyone. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

ARC

Re: disappointing news from OS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 11:30:31 PM »
Larry:
Best of luck with the test results, I am truly hoping that everything comes back normal.  Keep us posted and I am here for you anytime.
STAY STRONG
-Kolleen

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 12:02:03 AM »
Larry,

Maybe it's a longshot, but ask your doctor about prescribing one of the medicines used in osteoporosis. They are supposed to help regrow bone. Surely, it won't hurt.

Good luck on the tests and with the e-stimulation.

Please remember that you DO HAVE A LIFE, even if it isn't the same as before. Just ask the people who love you!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 03:26:53 AM »
{{{{{{Larry}}}}}}

Another fork in the road--that really stinks and is not fair or just--but it sounds as if all is not lost.  If they figure out that you have a specific auto-immune disorder they will have a better handle on it, right?

This has been a frustrating ordeal for you and those of us who hve been watching it really feel badly that this outcome hasn't been better.

I am equally interested in the RA/ lupus issue because the same thing is rolling around in my background--please let us know how that plays out.

In the meantime, I'm sending healing hugs and prayers your way to get you over this hurdle.  Good luck, my friend...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 06:13:43 AM »
Larry-

I really do hope that they can finally get an answer to what is making your bone grow so slowly.  Cause any answer is better that not knowing.

Good luck with the bone stimulation.

Hugs and happy knee thoughts-

Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »
Larry:

Sorry you got the news you were dreading, but I think you felt in your heart that something wasn't right. Hope they track down the reason soon and get you on the way to healing!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.