Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What will life be like after a total lateral meniscectomy?  (Read 7999 times)

Offline David Baker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What will life be like after a total lateral meniscectomy?
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:09:29 AM »
Hello everyone :)
Three weeks ago I had a total lateral meniscectomy. The doc orginally told me that it would be just a partial, but when I came to after the operation he said he had to take it all out and also grind down some of my knee bone.. The thing thats been worrying me is when I goggled meniscectomy on the internet, everything that seems to come up is how artriritis is partically imminent, and even knee replacement in a couple years is possible. Before the operation I had clicking, snapping sounds in my knee, and also stiffness often, but I rarely felt pain, Im a construction worker (almost 25 years, 43 years old) and I was still able to climb ladders and squat all day long. Im starting to thing it was a bad idea to get this done. sometimes I have to climb up and down ladders all day long (literally up and down 40' ladders over 100 times on some days), Im starting to wonder if I will still be able to do it.. Why in the world would a Doctor be so quike to perform such an operation if you can possibly be in worse condition afterwards?? here I was thinking that I would be able to finally jog and stuff again, now im starting to think I may be worse off..
Is the future really that grim with a total meniscectomy??
thanks for any replies!!!

Offline nees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: What will life be like after a total lateral meniscectomy?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:42:14 AM »
they removed the entire meniscus?   I'd think at worst they would only remove the inner 2/3 that lacks blood supply.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:55:34 AM »
Have you had a postop appoitment yet with your doc ?
If not book one so you can ask him questions about the future for your knee.
There are things that can be done before considering TKR. You can use unloader brace, they can perform osteotomy. But before even considering anything, everything depends on how this surgery turns out. If most of the rest of the knee looks good and you work hard in PT and get the muscles strong, you can manage for a long time.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:17:38 PM »
My lateral meniscus was removed a piece at a time over several years. When I finally had the last of the shredded remains removed I lasted five years before I needed a partial knee replacement. If it's only your lateral meniscus you shouldn't need a total knee replacement. But the PKR didn't happen until 34 years after the initial injury. I had arthritis in my 20's. If you keep your knee strong and mobile you could get many more years out of it if you don't already have arthritis. Some people make it only a couple years, some people never need a TKR. If you want more mileage stay away from running or any other high impact sports. I kept my knee strong by biking and swimming. Biking is the best for knees. The motion helps keep the knee lubricated and it will keep your muscles strong. Ladders may be rough. I had trouble going down hills and stairs but no trouble going up.

Offline David Baker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies ;D
nees...He said he had to remove it all. He said it wasn't even connected to my knee anymore, it was just flapping around.
Nettan...I hope I will be able to manage for a long time. the doctor did mention that my medial meniscus look like it was in bad shape also, but he didn't do anything to that
jathib...I already have a lot of trouble walking down hills and stairs, Its only been three weeks since the surgery, so hopefully it will get better...I may have to start bike riding again, I used to do it a lot and I loved it.

Offline Lolalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
Hi David,
It sounds like there are some chances of continuing with the level of your work? Maybe will have to be a bit more careful with deep squats and some movements? Has anyone mentioned to you using insoles that reduce the impact on your knee when you are walking and going down a hill?

Cycling would be great to keep your knee very strong and making it less vulnerable to day to day life.

My very best wishes on your recovery!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:33:48 PM by Lolalee »
ACL recon & meniscus repair 21st April 2008
Missing cycling and kung-fu madly
22/07/08 Not missing cycling anymore as I am back on the bike!!! Beware roads!! :)

Offline nees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:17 AM »
that knee doesn't sound good.  I don't know how your lateral meniscus got in such bad shape.   Did they diagnose that accurately by MRI beforehand?

Any chance you can re-tool / re-educate to get an office / sit-down job?   I imagine construction work can be knee intensive.   Carrying heavy gear, lifting, climbing, squatting, kneeling, etc.

Offline David Baker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
I think I may need to look for another type of work, but I don't know what I could do and still get paid as much as I am now.
I had an MRI and it showed that the meniscus was folded over top of itself, thats why the Doctor originally thought it would be just a partial. Im actually a little scared that he may not have removed the real problem, my knee feels exactly the same as it did before the operation, I hope it gets better

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:52:01 PM »
Don't lose hope yet. You're only three weeks out of surgery. But don't expect your knee to ever be normal or completely pain free again either. The cushion between your bones is gone forever. You might want to ask your doctor about an unloader brace. They are designed to shift your weight from the bad side to the good side. It might be cumbersome with  your job but some people have success with them. That might buy you enough time to think about something else you can do for work.

I'm certain that biking prolonged the life of my knee. I trashed my ACL and lateral meniscus when I was only 15. I had age on my side but I lived without an ACL for 17 years. I was almost 49 when I had a PKR. I don't think I would have lasted that long if it weren't for biking and then swimming.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »
I had every piece of cartalidge removed by the time i was 19  (also had no acl) and lasted until I had a tkr at 43 ! I always had  active on my feet work (police officer for the first 10 yrs - so that was pretty hard!) then manual jobs but I think it helped being so active.

Good luck.

anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

support