Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My son has hurt his knee....  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
My son has hurt his knee....
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »
My 13 year old son stepped wrong in his soccergame Sunday eve. First he felt pain, but as there was half time break he was able to rest a bit. After that he felt fine. Since then his leg is getting worse for every day. He has no swelling, just pain on lateral side of left knee when he moves the leg, that is there even if he don't weightbare. He also feel stiffness on the lateral side..he says like something is catching.
He didn't twist his knee, just stepped wrong..like you can do when you sprain the ankle.
I don't know what to do with him. Any ideas what is wrong and how I should do with him ?
Should I try RICE for some days ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: My son has hurt his knee....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »
Hi Nettan,

Sorry your son hurt himself.  I would try RICE and if it's not better in a couple of days get it checked out.  I really banged my knees around as a kid and never had much swelling, but some pretty good damage.  If the pain is getting worse or has not improved at all since Saturday, don't wait.  I've always felt I would rather have the doc say it was nothing than wait and find out it was something.  Hope he feels better.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
Trouble Twin,

I am sorry that J has hurt his knee.  If that were GH, I would suggest amputation...........at the neck.  ;D  But since that is J, I think a less drastic treatment is in order.  ;)
Sounds like he has possibly sprained his LCL, but I can't confirm that without doing a physical exam......when can you have him here?  :)
Does J like RICE?  I have eaten enough RICE in the last month to take care of the 3 of us.  :P  Perhaps some chicken salad with pasta would be better?  ;D

OK, now for the serious part of my answer.......and this part will be brief as I hate being serious.
Really does sound like a ligament sprain and I hope the injury is nothing more serious than that.  I would try the RICE treatment and see how the knee is feeling.  If not any better, I would bring him here so I can take him to Dr. G and see Chad.  ;D  (OK, that last part wasn't too serious  :))

I hope J is feeling better soon and back to playing soccer.

OS Twin  :-*

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:02:36 AM »
Thanks Girls !!

I will try RICE first. He knows about my knee damages and what problems can come after, so he will do as told. ( Patty he is a better listener then you. :P)
Typical though getting this now as they have a tournament coming up this weekend.
I don't want him walking in his mom's footstep regarding knee issues.
So what can he expect in being off soccer ? How long should I hold him back ?

Mom with 3 knee problems.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »
I think I would hold him off for at least a week.  Which is an eternity for a kid, but give it time to heal.  If he starts up too soon he may reinjure it.   You could check with the docs office about a recommendation.  I had a devil of a time with keeping my son's ankle splint on for the required two weeks so I can understand the difficulty of keeping the activity down.  Hope he's feeling better soon.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

gigi67

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:30:12 PM »
hey nettan was wondering how your sons injury is??? Is he feeling better? ...and how r u doing also?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »
Hi Nettan,

Sorry to hear about your Sons knee injury lets hope its just a minor knee injury that needs plenty of rest which is hard when you are a Kid. Too young to start having real knee problems and hopefully it will fix its self, with rest and maybe some PT.

Nick :) {2008} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline EricCrake

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:47:39 PM »
Im not a doc, but have had many knee excursions, from your description it sounds like he dislocated his kneecap

support