Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pain 11 weeks after revision tkr  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Crehensal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pain 11 weeks after revision tkr
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »
I had a revision knee replacement on 3 April and was doing well.  Last week I started getting a lot of pain walking downhill and if I really flex my knee when walking.  It's still swollen, although it's gone down a lot and it's warm but not really hot.  I'm very worried I might have an infection.  Have made an appointment to see the consultant on Friday morning.  We have just booked a holiday as well, for October, and I'm scared stiff.  Can anyone help.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: pain 11 weeks after revision tkr
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »
It's way too soon to be worried about that sort of thing. Swelling and warmth can last for over a year. I'm 18 months out from a PKR and still have that once in a while. Most of the time I'm pain free but every now I still get a little swollen and my knee will be warm.

Offline cara

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
Hi there , am 53 and had knee problems due to a fall down stairs 6 years ago. Surgeon has put off op for 5 years as age was a problem! Eventually I was in so much pain and could hardly walk, functioning only just, at my job ( deputy headteacher ) when he finally agreed to do it! I too am 9 weeks after TKR surgery in the UK. I still have pain on movement, lots of stiffness too. Some days I feel that it is improving but then feel like I've regressed. Flex is still only 90/100 and only achieved with a lot of exercise and pain. Hospital surgeon and local GP say I must keep taking meds, which is a lot:Tamadol, Neproxon, omerprozole and paracetamol to top up. I feel like a walking chemist. Maybe my expectations of the results were too high but initally I was very disappointed as I still had a lot of pain, am due to see consultant in 2 weeks and hope that I am making good progress. How do you know if you are ? its different for everyone so I keep getting told. very confusing!! Would I have it done again ? I don't think so. Ask me in a year!

Offline Crehensal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
Went back to Consultant last Friday who basically said there was no evidence of infection and he was very pleased with the result of the op.  I think what he was saying was that my knee was in such a terrible state (having had a partial put in wrongly and the rest of my knee totally out of alignment for a year as a result) that better than before was probably the best I could hope for.  So here's to a life of either a crutch or a walking stick.  I suppose after only 3.5 months I may be expecting too much and it may improve some more - who knows - knees are difficult things I am given to understand.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
9 weeks and 3 months are VERY early in the TKR recovery.  You will still experience pain swelling and heat, not every day all day but often.  They sawed you bones and did who knows what to the soft tissue to get the knee in.

I had a textbook recovery and at 9 weeks, I was still on pain meds and at 3 months I was doing much better, but had pain and heat if I over did it.  I hope you are both still doing your exercises, you need to do them for the year that the knee is healing,  yes it takes a year to 18 months to fully heal and in my case the strength is still coming and it's been over 2 years.  Hang in there.

Come down the the Total knee replacement section under the Arthritis department.

Hugs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:36:54 PM »
Three months is way to early ro expect much. I am walking around with a walker as I have a failed knee replacement, but it was 2 1/2 years ago and I'm pretty much pain free unless I twist it the wrong way. Now I have to start over and a revision is serious and takes longer then if the operation was a success the first time. Give it time and don't rush it or you will have problems. When it is hot and hurts, put ice on it.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline cara

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:09:07 PM »
Thanks Rozzzie, lucky grandma6, Crehensal and Jathib it is heartening to hear your rate of progress I am obviously expecting too much too soon. It is now week 13 and although am down to 1 stick, and still on meds, flex is only slightly improved. Concerned I will be left with half bent knee. Still exercising but do find it very very painful. just have to keep on with it. thanks a lot its nice to know that other people experience similar.  great website !

Offline Crehensal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
Well, I am actually improving - albeit slowly.  I am still on one crutch which OH says I should try to get rid of but I find it a lot more confidence boosting than the stick.  I have total bend but straightening is still slightly difficult.  Apparently my knee was in such a mess (due to a failed partial TKR) that it may not get much better than this but still, as everyone says, 3/4 months down the line is nothing so let's hope it will improve quite a bit over the next year or so.  Wish I could get rid of crutch/stick though.  Today I AM ACTUALLY WEARING HEELS!!!

support