Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Getting back to physical activities  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Getting back to physical activities
« on: July 29, 2003, 07:21:27 AM »
Hey everyone!  I was wondering when you know it's the right time to return to more physical activities?  The one thing I really want to do is swim and play water polo.  I had a MPFL and lateral retinaculum repair 6/12 (6 weeks ago) and I hoping to join the water polo club at college.  Practices start right in the beginning of Sept.  Is that a real goal?  

Right now I'm more worried about all the walking I will have to do around campus.  However, the swim coach and water polo coach keep asking me how I'm doing.  I have no idea what I should be telling them.  

In general, how do you know when you are ready?  My therapist was talking about some type of performance test he wanted me to do in Oct.  Has anyone ever had this?  What type of things do they ask you to do?

~Riosilia
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Getting back to physical activities
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »
Hi Riosilia,

Ask one of your medical professionals what is ok for you and when.  Water things might be good--but your doc or pt will know for sure, knowing your situation.  We all have a different way of healing and each doc seems to have his/her own preferences.

As for performance tests--ha ha--I had to pass one to leave the hospital--walk 20 feet, climb up and down three stairs.  I'm guessing the one your pt was mentioning was a bit more involved than that.

Good luck--how long is it until school starts up for you?  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
Re: Getting back to physical activities
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 09:02:51 AM »
Riosilia-

Congrats on recovering enough to be able to start the process of getting back into sports activities.  But just to echo Sylvia, your OS will let you know when they feel that you are healed enough to give it a go.

Congratulations again,
-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

support