Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kathy's DPTT (TTT) Post-Op Diary  (Read 48542 times)

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Kathy's DPTT (TTT) Post-Op Diary
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
If you can keep those quads contracting you will be way ahead of the game when you go back to PT!
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

I managed to post all my photos on Facebook, so here's the link. I hope it works.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2004311&l=5e986&id=1060552469

The first four are from when I first arrived home, and show the swelling I had initially. By the time I took the later photos, the RICE had done it's job and things had settled down a bit.

Cheers,

Kathy

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »
Kathy, looks so good!!  Keep it up with that ice and pain meds!  You are doing great!!  How is your pain generally on the pain scale?  Just curious.  I had some pain on the Osteotomy site during the first few days off and on and some pain in my tibia, but my OS warned me of that, so i wasn't concerned.  you have hardly any bruising!!  I was bruised all over the place.  So you are on the right track..I think I went down the wrong one!!!  Well I hope you are comfortable tonight!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 12:41:56 AM »
Well, I survived my first night at home, and I actually managed to get some sleep!! I spent a little while on the laptop in the middle of the night, but then I was due my pain meds and they got me back to sleep.

I have heard you all mention blood rushes - well I reckon I get them in reverse!! I am fine when I walk around, then the second I swing my leg into bed the pain races down my shin! Weird!! I think it may be the very slight bend in my knee, which can't quite be eliminated when in bed, that is causing tension on the TTT site and thus pain, as if I prop my leg up by the ankle only (so the leg is dead straight), then the shin pain improves - I just get different pain instead!! The pain when I move can be harsh, though walking is good as long as I lock my leg straight. Generally when resting the throb can reach a 5 or 6 on the pain scale at its worst, and movement involving flexion can shoot it up to a 9 (assuming a 10 will render me unconscious). The period of time immediately after getting back into bed gives me a 7 or 8 level of pain in my shin, which subsides over 15 minutes to half an hour. I am not real concerned about the pain, as I know what it it from and it is too early to start worrying about the causes. My leg has been through the trauma of surgery and it is complaining bitterly!!!

The bruising that I don't have is mostly due to the fact that I don't bruise or swell easily. It is a good thing, though it can work against me in making people think my knees are better than they are. My PT is always talking about "at least you don't have major swelling - then we'd have more cause for concern" but I feel like saying that I may never get major swelling, as my body just doesn't go down that track, as you can all see from this surgery. The swelling I did get is a huge amount for me. I think my surgeon does a pretty good job with his surgery too. The TTT wound is neat and no bigger than it needs to be. I wouldn't be able to work through a hole that small.

Farrah - I don't know that you went down the wrong track and I went down the right one. I am early days yet, and I won't know if this has given me any improvement for a LONG time. For all that my knee looks good, it doesn't mean a successful surgery. I will be happy to come out of this with what I went in with - the thought of how much muscle wasting might occur in the 6 weeks before I see a PT really gets me worried. I am being very diligent about doing my home exercises, though the quad contractions are very painful so I can only partly contract them at the moment. I do use my quads to lock my knee when I walk though, so they are getting used regularly. I just have to make sure I don't fall into the trap of taking my weight through my crutches. I have to consciously slow down and go through the process of transferring my full weight through my TTT leg when I walk, or I will suffer down the track.

Anyway, I managed to make myself breakfast this morning after seeing the kids off. I used one crutch and SLOWLY carried things one at a time to the table by my bed. I am pleased that I could accomplish something for myself.

Well, I had better move along and clean my teeth and put my dishes in the kitchen before I knock them over. Bye for now.

Kathy

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:38 AM »
Hi again Kathy, I can't believe you can walk with one crutch!!  I can't even stinking do that!!!  I can do it with lots of pain though!  Sounds like you are doing really well.  I wonder if there is a difference between you and somebody with lots of bruising and swelling?  I am just curious.  If you ever get around to it, maybe ask your PT?  I wonder if you have less pain b/c of that?  I am not saying you aren't in pain, but I wonder if someone with lots of bruising and swelling would feel a little worse?  Don't get me wrong here, just thinking out loud I guess.  Well I hope things continue to go fairly smoothly for you!  I love your attitude!!  How is it going in the car??  :) 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
Hi Farrah,

There would definitely be some advantage to not having as much swelling, as the tissues aren't full of fluid putting pressure on nerves and other things in uncomfortable ways. I certainly haven't escaped the pain though, and it's constantly present and hard to control. I have only been in the car once, on the way home, and it was a painful experience getting in and out. I am not looking forward to having to repeat it.

By the way, don't make the mistake of comparing us. Remember that I was walking around as of two days ago, so I have nowhere near the muscle wasting you would have by now, after time NWB and in a brace. My leg never stops throbbing though, but walking just doesn't seem to set off the worst of the pain until it's time to rest, and then the pain starts to get bad. Doing my flexion exercises is difficult, as I can only get some flexion if I relax completely and take all the weight of my leg through my hands. I have to hold under my knee and around my ankle, then relax totally before I can get a flexion without utter agony. Any muscle tone present during flexion causes extreme pain!! I guess that maintaining ROM is good, but to have to do it so soon after surgery is incredibly difficult, as I am not supposed to cause pain, but I am supposed to do SOME flexion. I think my post op pain is probably a lot worse than that of those in a brace, as I have no support for my knee, but I then will have an advantage when it comes to starting PT, in that I will have reasonable ROM and no huge quad atrophy. I guess it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

My toilet seat raiser thingy just arrived, and in setting it up one-handed I managed to drop my bottle of toilet cleaner in the loo full of wee (as the kids naturally didn't flush when they went this morning!)  :P Don't ask me how I managed it - I don't really know myself!! Nothing is easy at the moment!!!! At least I got to sit on the loo with a bit more ease than I have been. I wonder how long it will be before the kids have piddled all over it!?!

I am feeling a bit out of sorts at the moment. The day is dragging, I have nothing to do, and I am tired and in pain. I don't want to take too much of the pain relief during the day, as I want save my limit of daily doses for bedtime. I have used one out of the four doses allowed per 24 hours, at 1.30am this morning, and I'd like to take the rest around mid-afternoon, early evening, and late evening (four hours apart). I think I may have some nerve irritation as the lateral side of my upper calf is extremely hypersensitive to touch and sort of tingly also. It doesn't respond to the pain killers very well either. Grrr!!!

Oh well, I guess we all have our good and bad moments after surgery. I might take some Tramadol and try to snooze off my bad mood. Bye.

Kathy

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

kathy hope the Tramadol helps you sleep. At least if you can sleep at times its a break from the pain.

I think all in all your photos look great. They actually look better than my leg right now so I think you are doing good.

I am thinking of you. have to get ready for my kids dance show tonight and sorting out 10 costume changes between them. They are both dressing up as Stephanie from lazy Town (dont know if you get that in Aussie - kids programme) and they have pink wigs and all. Knee is killing me today and by tonight I dread to think :-X

Hope you have a good day, take it easy and use this nothing to do time as time for you to psoil yourself , relax as best you can, read and watch tv f your choice.
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »
Hello Kathy, I hope you have good things come out of not wearing a brace out of surgery.  I just can't imagine how you are getting around!!  I will not forget my leg just flopping around all over the place b/c of lack of muscle control.  Well I used an immobilizer for 2 weeks PO and by the end of that time, I had about 110 degrees ROM.  I was way ahead of the protocol.  One week later I had 115 degrees and was able to get rid of the CPM machine I was using.  Early on, I hated that brace, so I took it off while sitting and began to bend and straighten my leg passively.  Well I could bend it actively, but could straighten it back out.  I hated that CPM machine at times b/c it was so boring sitting in 2hrs at a time 3 times a day!  Oh well.  I really admire your positive attitude despite your bad pain!  Don't hesitate to take those pain killers and be sure to continue icing as much as possible!  It always felt good to ice for me during the first few weeks. 

As for me, I am not sure if you have been keeping up on my diary, but I am back to stopping PT and waiting for my next OS apt.  I am suppose to talk to my PA today about changing some meds so I can get rid of that drunk feeling I have. 

Well I hope you have an okay night!!!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »
Hi Kathy,

Sorry I have been a bit MIA. Had a near car accident on Wednesday and been really struggling. In a lot of pain right now.

Can't believe you only use one crutch and don't have much swelling.

About to head into the A&E of the hospital I had the operation at.

Have a good weekend !!!  8)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »
Hi Everybody,

It's day 3 post-op today and I know what the blood rushes feel like now!! Ouch! I stood up this morning and boy, oh boy, did I feel it down every inch of my shin  :P This is after waking up to pain in my big toe and heel from the pressure of the heel on the bed and the blankets on my toe, and the throbbing of my leg because pain killers had worn off, and it had also started sliding off the pillows I prop it on and was no longer in a comfy position. I had managed the longest stretch of sleep since surgery though, so I was pleased about that - even though it was the heavy sleep of pain-killing drugs and exhaustion that has left me feeling rather muddle-headed and stiff all over. I certainly mustn't have moved much in my sleep.

Interestingly enough, ice is something that doesn't feel as good as it did after my LRs. I think it's the pressure of the pack on my surgery site or something, but it certainly causes it's own style of discomfort in my shin. I loved the ice packs on my knees after the LRs. They really soothed everything. I am disappointed that I don't have the same effect from the ice this time around. I still use it religiously though.

I went out to Scouts last night with the kids, just to get out of the house for a little while. I sat with my feet up and had a cuppa and a chat with other parents. It was nice to get out, and the short time of the Scout meeting was just enough for me to cope with. The car was a nightmare though!!!! Getting in and out of the front seat was an exercise in agony. I don't want to repeat it again in a hurry! I will try sitting in the back seat if I have to go out over the weekend, as my son is away and I will have the space to sit across the back of the car.

Farrah - I would think a CPM machine would be agony after a TTT. When did you use it and how long for? I find that flexion is painful and I have to do it slowly, so I can't imagine having to get in a CPM machine and have it flex my leg even a little bit!! My leg certainly flops around a lot, and I don't have good control of its movement, due to pain, but if I can keep it in extension using gravity and my quads, then I manage okay. Getting things on and off my foot is really hard - changing the tubigrip, and getting shoes (even slip-on ones) and socks on and off is one thing I have struggled with. I have just found that if I sit on the edge of a chair/bed with my leg extended down at an angle in front of me (touching the ground), then I can use gravity to help hold my knee straight while I wriggle the Tubigrip/sock/shoe over my foot. Trying to do it with my leg up on the bed means I have to brace my quads too much to keep the knee straight while I lean forward to reach my foot, and it hurts lots. I use my hands a lot to move my leg around in bed and when getting up/down. How are you going? When do you have your next appointment? I am glad PT has stopped for you again. It's not good to be doing it when it causes so much pain. I hope your OS scopes you soon. I think it's what you might need in order to find some answers. Good luck finding a more suitable replacment for the Lyrica. It can be hard to find the right drug to suit you. Some people luck out with the first thing they try, but most have to try a couple, or fiddle with dosages, before they find the right one for their body.

Kirsty - I hope you are okay after your near miss in the car. Have you managed to get the pain under control yet? It's hard with multiple drug allergies. You must have some really BAD days!!! How did the hospital visit go? I will catch up on your diary again soon. I did read about your near miss, but no further. I have checked most threads fairly regularly, but haven't always posted due to feeling foggy and dopey and not up to formulating something positive or constructive to post.

I hope everyone else out there is doing okay, and that you all have a great weekend. I am just glad to have my family home for company. Take care.

Kathy

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
Hi Kathy,

You'll have to check out my diary, but my PA called this evening.  I have a new Lyrica schedule, I am NWB for the weekend, he wants me to call him back on Monday or Tuesday and give him an update.  He has finally realized how bad my knee is and wanted me to come in for an earlier apt, but my OS is out until my already scheduled apt for the 27th.  So I will see him in a week.  My PA talked to my PT today and let him know that I will be out for a while again b/c the PT continues to irritate the problem.  My PA was speechless today when I told him that I can't tolerate hardly putting my toes on the ground.  He was shocked.  That's when he realized how bad it was.  There is a little more of an explanation on my diary. 

I used my hands a lot to move my leg around during the first few weeks.  I actually learned to loop my good leg under my surgery leg to move it around some.  It helped keep it straight that way too.  As for the CPM machine, I had to use it the same night as surgery!  I started at only 15 degrees and increased from there.  I was suppose to increase by 5 degrees every day.  The first night I only used it for an hour or so as instructed.  The following 3 weeks or so, I was suppose to use it for 2 hrs at a time 3 times a day (6hrs total).  It felt good for my leg to passively get bent.  I imagine it hurts you b/c you do it actively.  WHile sitting on the couch between CPM uses, I would pull my leg to bent b/c it felt better than keeping it straight all the time.  The first few days, I didn't do that though...it was the days and weeks after that.  My ROM came around so quickly, that I stopped using the CPM so religiously (for 6hrs) after about the first 1.5 weeks or 2.  My PT was fine with that b/c I was so far ahead of schedule...that was when I thought my recovery would be so smooth and fast!!  Little did I know what was coming!!!  :(  Anyway, the CPM didn't bother me at all.  I had to use it until my PT pushed my ROM to 115 degrees or more for 2 visits in a row.  My CPM maxed at 115 and I had been hitting it for a week before my PT could push me to that amount.  I was thrilled to get rid of that by the end though b/c it was so boring to sit there in front of my bedroom tv that didn't have all the movie channels.  Sorry ice doesn't help you!!  I had the GAme Ready machine which felt so great with the compression wrap that pushed freezing water through it!  I loved that thing.  I only had it for a week though b/c it was rented from the company. 

Sorry to type so much!!  Well back to resting on the couch with ice!!  This will be my 4th or 5th time in a matter of just a few hours!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
I have had a low grade temperature on and off, which I had in hospital too, so I took my dressing off so I could check the wound for infection. It doesn't feel infected, so I am not particularly worried. I think my body is run down due to what it has been through (surgery, lack of sleep, medications, pain etc) and it is trying it's best to make sure it doesn't get ill (gastro, throat infection, wound infection, or whatever) and so it raises my temperature periodically to ward off anything that it might have been exposed to. If my temperature goes any higher than what it has been, or it persists for longer, then I will be straight on the phone to my OS. Here is a photo of my TTT wound.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 01:39:31 PM »

Kirsty - I hope you are okay after your near miss in the car. Have you managed to get the pain under control yet? It's hard with multiple drug allergies. You must have some really BAD days!!! How did the hospital visit go? I will catch up on your diary again soon. I did read about your near miss, but no further. I have checked most threads fairly regularly, but haven't always posted due to feeling foggy and dopey and not up to formulating something positive or constructive to post.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Sorry I haven't posted more, been really struggling since having my accident on Wednesday. Sounds like you are doing really well, which is just fantastic. Can't believe how small your scar is. It definitely looks a bit weepy. Do keep an eye on it.

My pain is still out of control, but not much I can do until I get in touch with my OS on Monday. I have his mobile number but don't want to ring him on the weekend. My own doctor is away for a couple of weeks which makes it really hard. I am seeing my shoulder physio on Tuesday and hoping he can get me in to see another doctor. I think I will try and make an appointment for Monday if I can. Am already on the cancellation lists of a couple of doctors. Currently it's about a 3 week wait to see someone else. If I can't get in to see one of them I will try and get in to see my old GP who is also a sports doctor.

I've also contacted my shoulder surgeon as I have been in agony with it. I had surgery on it last year. He won't be able to ring me back until Tuesday. Really hope he rings then. Just can't go on like this.

I thought it was a near miss, but discovered some damage to my car so she did hit me. The car is booked in for Wednesday to get repaired and will be ready to pick up on Friday.

Went back to the hospital last night as I was in agony. They gave me some sleeping tablets and a script for some more. Also suggested using some anti-inflammatory gel and going back to see my knee surgeon ASAP.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »
Yeah, it is small, isn't it?! It's all of about an inch long. The weepiness was from removing the Hypafix, which pulled a bit and started a bit of ooze. The fluid was haemoserous (serum and blood) with no sign of infection, so I am pretty happy. I wouldn't expect the wound to have totally healed so early so I am not surprised at the weeping. One of my scope wounds has a bit of weeping here and there too, and I remember it from the last scope also. It was a full 5 days before things really looked securely scabbed after last surgery, and it has only been 3 so far.

I hope you do okay over the weekend. What a set back the accident has been. How frustrating!! Back to the endless rounds of doctor's visits, medications and PT to see if things improve. Ugh  :P Poor you!

Well, my left knee has been giving me grief today, now I am up a bit more. So I have two sore legs/knees!! The right (surgery one) still throbs constantly, and the blood rushes are consistent when I first stand up. The throb becomes worse with only a short time upright, so I still spend much of my time in bed with my feet up. My arms, shoulders, and wrists are starting to feel the effects of the crutches and other stresses I have put on them since surgery. Overall though, I feel better than what I did initially, and am coping better with things also.

Anyway, it's bedtime and I should try to sleep. Goodnight all.

Kathy

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »
Wow, kathy, your incision looks great compared to my big 8" one!  I looked like the bride of Frankenstein!!  I usually find the 3 rd day post-op to be the hardest, pain wise.  Since you are through that day, hopefully your pain will be better when you wake up.  You amaze me girl, with what you are doing already!!  Just don't overdo it, which I am sure you are prone to do!

Take Care and let your Family wait on you for a change!

Peg leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

support