Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kathy's DPTT (TTT) Post-Op Diary  (Read 46891 times)

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Kathy's DPTT (TTT) Post-Op Diary
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
Wow Kathy, your incision is tiny I am so impressed. I hope the wound is ok and just look after yourself.
I am way impressed at you making an outing so early on. I think it took me more than a week as the first few days I was in so much pain I just lay in bed.
I am so proud of you but not surprised.....after all you are superwoman :)

Love and hugs
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »
Hi Kathy!

You are my new hero! WOW! You are only a couple days post-op and already doing more as far as weight-bearing than i am at just over 10 weeks post-op. And your swelling/bruising is nearly non-existant...that is great!! Make sure to take it easy...you had a major surgery and your body needs time to heal...but you know all that   ;) . How are you doing this weekend? Well i wish you all the very best!!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 02:52:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

Another good night's sleep. It must be just what my body needs, as it is willing to do so much of it!! I thought I'd struggle with sleeping like I did after my LRs, but having only one surgery leg this time has made a lot of difference to my ability to get comfortable despite the pain.

Joanne - the outing made my bed look like heaven when I got back home, and I really appreciated being able to rest! So it served to put things in perspective, as I was sick of my bed and fed up with my own company by then. You had a lot more done to the joint itself, which I imagine would add considerably to the pain levels you had. My knee feels great, all considering, and it's down the shin that most of the pain is.

Leah - I don't think it's anything I've done to keep the bruising and swelling so minimal. I've always been like that and never had big issues with swelling. I am just very grateful for it. I am certainly taking it easy. I lie on the bed in my sewing room, which is fairly central to the house, and I direct things from there!! I only get up to go to the loo or the kitchen, and for the occasional light chore (chuck in a load of washing or such). I have been out in the car twice, for short trips, when the kids have had to be taken somewhere, and I have migrated out to the lounge to watch a couple of DVDs with hubby.

Peg Leg - How did you manage to get an 8" incision? I must admit that I don't know how my OS managed to do anything through such a small incision, but 8" seems HUGE!! Or is it the length of both your TTT and your ACI incisions put together? I have found that the pain does seem to peak a bit AFTER the surgery and then settle some. I guess it peaks due to local and general anaesthetic wearing off (my OS infiltrates the joint and surgery site with local anaesthetic as he closes) and because you haven't yet worked out how to do things and you make painful mistakes!!!

I am still a bit concerned about my temperature. I am still running a low grade fever on and off. I will ring my OS office first thing tomorrow and ask for advice.

Hey you lot, don't make me a hero!!! I am only following my OS's protocol. I actually find it harder and more painful to hold my leg off the ground when I use my crutches than to put it down and weight-bear through it!! (I tried it once when I wanted to get somewhere quicker than I could "walk" - it didn't work as I'd hoped!). So maybe you lot who have to be NWB have it harder than I do! I am just wondering how long I should expect to be using crutches for. I know I am using them to catch me if my knee buckles, as if I don't have them to catch me then using muscles to stop the buckling could put too much stress on the TTT screw site. I am guessing that the "good quad control 0-90 (4-6 weeks)" is the phrase that says it all. I probably need that good quad control before they will release me from the crutches. And the TTT site would probably need to be healed too.

My bruising has started turning that nice dirty yellow colour!!! I have a patch over the TTT site, some down my shin, and some behind my knee  ??? I took some pics, but the bruising doesn't really show up very well. If you want to see any of my photos, click on the link for them down below in my signature. I still have some to upload, but I am getting there, slowly. The recent ones include the ones of my incision, some I took last night to compare the two knees, and the ones of the bruising. I must try to put captions on them, to say when after surgery they all were taken.

Well, must go. My body is trying to tell me it's sleep time again. Honestly, I feel like I do nothing but sleep!!

Bye for now,

Kathy

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 03:09:07 AM »
Kathy, it sounds like you are doing so well!  I can't believe how you can get around so well already also.  I hope the pain is either not there or bearable.  I really hope this surgery is it for you with that knee!!  Good luck!  I hope your fever gets better or gets treated!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 12:43:23 PM »
Hi Kathy,  Just got caught up on your history and progress.  Wow, you're setting the bar pretty high for all of us.  Awesome progress.  You're cruising.  Keep it up!

Your new facebook friend,

Lenore
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
Hey Lenore,

I just replied to you on Facebook and then came to check your diary, only to find you had posted here. I don't know about setting the bar high - as I have said before, I am only following my post-op protocol, and the sports clinic I go to is pretty aggressive with their protocols. I am surprised they even told me to use crutches, as a matter of fact, though it makes sense to have them, especially without a brace for support. I would be pretty screwed if I tripped, or my knee buckled, and I had nothing to catch me except for my surgery knee  :P

Well, I am off to bed. It's 10pm here. So far I have been sleeping okay, as my body wants to do nothing but sleep, and the pain killers play their part too. I hope things continue that way. I don't normally sleep well as I work night shift, so I am enjoying the novelty of it  ;D

Goodnight everyone!

Kathy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
My OS was aggressive about rehab (I started PT the day after surgery) but I remember him saying "this immobilizer brace is your friend" and he wasn't kidding.  I fell 3 days postop and put full weight on my surgery leg.  Came crashing down to the floor.  Can't imagine what I would have done to it without a brace on.  Phew!  Just be very careful. 

05/09  MUA

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
kathy,

It's great that you are able to sleep.  So many on here can't sleep well after surgery; i didn't for 4 weeks, when my brace could come off at night!  As for my impressive scar, i guess I'm just lucky (not!!!)!  My TTT scar  was cut along the same line as my ACI, but it's longer on both ends than the original.  I had a LR along with some patella shaving and chondroplasty.  Since the patella has been a real source of trouble, he cut me higher to make sure he could reach it properly.  I told him not to worry about a few more staples, just make sure he gets it done this time!!!  He took me at my word!  I''ll attach my picture; maybe that will make you feel better!!

Take Good Care!  Peg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »
Ow, ow, ow, ow ow!! I am SO glad mine isn't THAT long!!! And I am glad I didn't get staples! I can't even begin to imagine how they must feel coming out. Just the thought of it makes me cringe - my imagination is MUCH worse than reality!!

I am feeling crappy today. I got up and within minutes I had broken out into a sweat and felt light-headed and nauseous. I had to go back to bed and lie down. My morning was spent doing things in very small stages. I think I may be a touch dehydrated, and the pain killers would probably have dropped my BP already, so things have gone haywire. As long as I'm in bed I feel fine. I think it's time to cut right back on the pain killers  :( and drink plenty of water. In the meantime, I am going to go back to sleep!

Kathy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:12 AM »
Now THAT is what I call an incision Peg.  Ouch! 

Sorry to hear you're feeling crappy today Kathy.  Sounds like a drug reaction for sure.  Yuck!  Hope you're able to sleep and wake up feeling better.
05/09  MUA

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 02:50:27 AM »
Just call me "Bride of Frankenstein"!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

peg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 04:29:26 AM »
So much for keeping my fluids up - I have just slept nearly four hours of the day away!!! I don't know if the BP issue is still there, as I have only gone to the fridge and back since I woke up. I don't think it'll go away THAT quickly though. Blah!! I feel like I do after having gastro - flat, washed, out and unable to stand on my feet for long. My temperature seems to have settled down though, so something is going right.

My bruises have turned an even more disgusting colour of dirty yellow and cover more of my leg. Gross!! I am uploading photos onto Facebook as I write for those who want to see them ;D

The leg actually feels pretty good today. The throbbing has died down to a more manageable level when I am resting, though the blood rushes when I stand up are very uncomfortable, and movement still causes stabbing pains and throbbing in my TTT site. Passive flexion feels tight and pulls at the TTT area, but I am getting close to 90 when I have pain relief on board. Not real comfortable though  :P Quad contractions are really hard. I have trouble making the quads engage with some control. They tend to avoid doing the work, and then jump in suddenly with a bit of effort that hurts the TTT site. It's hard to ease into a gentle contraction. I am only allowed to do the quad exercise where I have a small towel under my ankle, with a straight leg, and then push the back of my knee down towards the bed. I don't feel I am using my quads fully most of the time.

I am hanging out for a shower, but I don't want to do it while I am home alone, seeing as my BP is playing up. How annoying. I guess I'll have to find something else to do  :(

I hope you all had a good weekend. Bye for now.

Kathy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »
oh my god!!!!!!!!!
Kathy!!! thats like the tiniest incision Ive ever seen!!!
Peg Leg - I am also Bride of Frankenstein, in fact my TTT scar is 20 years old and Ive grown bone over my screw so I have got FrankenLeg :)

Youre doing really well Kathy - you must be so pleased? Im thrilled for you - all signs are positive so far!!
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
Hey Tanya,

I am certainly happy that the surgical recovery is going fairly smoothly. I just hope it has a good result when it comes to reducing the aching in that knee. The pictures from inside look like a cave, with all the stalagtites hanging from the roof!!! The OS has written "significant chondral wear". I can't wait to ask him how much has changed since last surgery (in Sept 07). It's worrying that there was a reasonable amount of wear (I could see from the pics) that has happened while I have been under restrictions and trying not to irritate my knee. I hate to think of where I'd be at if I hadn't seen my OS when I did last year.

I am feeling much better than I did this morning. I ended up having a shower (very carefully) and I had yet more sleep (will this tiredness ever end?!). The throbbing got worse as the day wore on, so I gave in and took a pain killer. So far so good. I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I did this morning.

I'd love to get out of the house for a while, but I HATE the car trips, and I don't want to run my neighbour ragged, as she is already driving my kids to school and back every day.

I had an explosion today!! The laxatives I have been taking FINALLY got with the game and worked - BIG TIME!!! Boy did I feel lighter afterwards  ;D Constipation must be the WORST side effect ever from pain killers. Blah!!

I am going to try and scan my arthroscope photos. I am not really up to date with scanning, so goodness knows how I'll go, but it'll waste some time - I certainly have plenty to spare at the moment!!

Take care all.

Kathy

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 01:21:30 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I had a non-internet day yesterday. I was using my laptop to burn some discs, so didn't go online or check emails or anything for most of the day. I read, and watched some movies.

The sleeping all the time seems to be over, and now I am having trouble sleeping. My shin burns all night and the numb patch sometimes feels like it has wetness running over it. To top it all off I had "one of those days" yesterday - I trod on the cat and the resulting automatic reaction on my behalf caused PAIN!! Then my daughter kicked me (on my surgery leg of course) during a temper tantrum. BIG OWIEE!! Thankfully it was toward my ankle, so no damage was done, just pain!! Boy, did she get a telling off!! Then I find out that the discs I had burned hadn't worked and I had wasted a pile of DVDs  :( I still don't know what the problem is, because I am doing nothing different to what I have done before. Then I got an invitation to go out with some friends, but it involves an hour in the car through the hills - too painful to do just yet  :'( Then we ran out of margarine, and I couldn't go and get any more, so no toast or sandwiches for me  :( My period is due (need I say more!). And my son is sick with a head cold, which I know I will get, because I always do  :P And then I go online this morning and find out Joanne was admitted to hospital for IV antibiotics  :'( Aaaaaarrrggghhh!!!! What a day!!!!

Sorry, I had to get it all off my chest. My leg hurt all night, and hurt even worse when I got up this morning, and I am not feeling very cheery today. Maybe I should leave things here and come back when I am feeling better. I'll think of something positive to write first.....

I managed to put the kids washing away yesterday.
I am enjoying the book I am reading.
My neighbour is getting me some margarine, so I can have toast or a sandwich later.
Only one more week to go until I see my OS - one week has already passed since surgery!!
My daughter's dance concert is this weekend.

Okay, time to go.

Kathy

support