Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kathy's DPTT (TTT) Post-Op Diary  (Read 48690 times)

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: Kathy's DPTT (TTT) Post-Op Diary
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »
Bummer....I just wrote a really long post and with the press of a button I deleted it :(

Aaaaarrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I suppose you really didn't want to hear all about my trials and tribulations trying to buy track pants for my daughter anyway ;)

I hope your weekend doesn't wear you out too much. I can sympathise with the dress shoe thing. I live in my gym shoes - I splurged on the expensive pair that was the most comfy. I just went into the shop and decided to try on lots of shoes until I found the most comfy, regardless of cost. The pair I got were expensive, but not the most expensive I tried on. I wear them everywhere. I rarely even succumb to the desire to wear open shoes (like sandals or flip-flops) in the heat, as my gym shoes make so much difference to my comfort.

Well, it's bed time for me. I hope all goes well with your daughter's interviews.

Kathy xx

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Dropping in to say hi and let you know that I am back in town.

Had a really nice holiday and feel very relaxed. Still getting a lot of pain at night. Hope it improves soon.

Glad it is much cooler in Melbourne, although the fires are a real worry. My cousin got evacuated from Belgrave today.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

Great to hear you managed to have a relaxing holiday ;D I was worried that your knee may have put a damper on it all and caused you stress instead of allowing you to relax. I must admit that even when my knees played up when we were away before Christmas, I still found the time away relaxing. Just getting away from day to day stuff helps me relax, even with knees to deal with.

I hope your cousin doesn't lose anything to the fires. Fingers crossed that they are out before too much longer. Cooler weather will at least make things more comfortable for the firemen and everyone else dealing with the fires in some way, as well as all of you who just want to be cooler ;)

I need to start doing more strengthening stuff for my knees. I have noticed my knees have deteriorated a bit, and are aching more. It could be the weather changes we have had recently, but I am inclined to think it's also due to less exercise, as my bike has moved from the lounge room so I cycle less (not that I did heaps to start with), and I am walking less due to the heat we've had. I really must look into getting a treadmill, though I don't know where we'd put it!

Well, it's bedtime for me. I have a busy day tomorrow and I'm working tomorrow night (which guarantees I won't sleep well tonight!). I hope you have a good week. Are you back at work tomorrow, or do you have some more time off before you return?

Take care,

Kathy

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Didn't let my knee get in the way. It was difficult at times, but didn't let me stop me. When I first got to the airport for my flight out of Melbourne I was feeling very stressed out. Jetstar didn't seem to give a stuff !!! Finally a Jetstar staff member got her act together and took me down to the gate. My Mum was worried they wouldn't look after me. The staff on the flight were absolutely terrible. Feel like putting in a complaint about them. They were great coming back though.

My cousin got out safely, which is good. Apparently the fire in Belgrave was deliberately lit, which makes me feel sick !!!

Funny you mention about your knees not doing so well with less exercise. I find when I regularly exercise that my knee is so much better. Have you thought about joining a gym ? Good way of getting to know some other people and keeping active.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

I find that I never get to a gym! If I go after school then I have to do something with the kids. During school I am often sleeping. And after hubby get home I am cooking and settling kids. I also can't do much knee stuff at a gym anyway, only the rest of my body. I prefer to get on my exercise bike at home, where I can do 5 minutes here and there as it suits. It's all my knees can manage, and I fit it in whenever I can (like when the kids are cleaning their teeth for bed or something). It's the reason I want a treadmill, because it works so well to do it at home, and I can walk for longer than I can cycle. I just have to get accustomed to using the bike in its new spot. Or move it.

I've never flown Jetstar, but I've had friends say it's certainly "no frills"!

I'm glad your cousin got out safely. I cannot believe that people can be so vicious as to deliberately light fires. They deserve to burn at the stake! Slowly!!

Haha! Silly me. I went for a long walk on Saturday. No wonder my knees are aching today!! My daughter had to plan and do a hike for a Cub Scout badge. We made it an easy walk, but it was still too much for me. Gotta get that treadmill ;) Gotta save up first!!

Now I gotta get me something to eat. I'm at work, and I came straight here from Cubs, so I am starving now. I just wish this headache would go away. I've had it all weekend, on and off. Hormones :P Ick!!

Have a good week.

Kathy

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2009, 03:20:57 PM »
Hey Kathy,  thanks for the e-mails with Koala pics.  For some reason I can't view them but I'm going to try and see them from my work computer on Monday. 

Instead of buying a treadmill would you consider getting an elliptical machine instead?  I use one at the Y and it's a fantastic aerobic workout without hurting the knee.  It has to be so hard when you have lots of running around with family and no time to yourself to workout.  Going for long walks is nice but don't overdo it. 
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
Kathy

LOVING the e-mails. Your pics are soooooo cute. I never realised Koalas lived in urban areas at all....well that says a lot for me. Given I ahve only really seen them on tv etc I loved all the pics. Its a shame for thm.....its obviously very very hot !!!!!!!!!

Hope the knees are better today....good on you for even giving  a hike a go
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »
Hi All,

The knees are being a pain this week. Sitting around, sewing, seemed to be the thing that did it this time. They don't like being bent for long periods. The sharp pain I often get behind my right knee is back to tell me it doesn't like something I'm doing. Grrr!! I retaliated by ringing to book into an Arthritis Association course, but I got an answering machine ::)

Lenore - I am a bit wary of elliptical trainers, as they give more range of motion than treadmills (though less than a bike). I really only have a few degrees of "good" flexion before my damaged areas are put under pressure, so anything with more flex than walking can really irritate. I think I am safer with a treadmill, and it would have the advantage of being a form of exercise I can do even when my knees are being irritable. Walking is what's done the best for me to date, and I am reluctant to change it (though I do add to it when I can).

Joanne - Koalas don't really like to live in urban areas, but the drought has affected their trees and they have come closer to civilisation to find the trees they like to live in. The kids' school had a koala in one of their trees last year. It walked right by me one day, on its way to the tree!! They make funny noises, sort of grunting like a pig. When we went camping the kids went for a walk to look for koalas around the camp site and they came back because my daughter was scared the wild pigs would get her!! It was the koalas she could hear, but she thought there were pigs nearby!!

One more night to work for the week. I am so tired and I really don't feel like working, especially as the nights are quiet and seem to go really slow as a result (the 10 hours seem like 20!!). I'll get lots of knitting done, that's for sure ;D

I hope everyone is having a good week.

Kathy

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for sending the koala joke. Loved it !!! Made my day. It's been pretty rough in the last week, so needed some cheering up.

Been in a lot of pain with my back and found out Rusty needs major leg surgery, so been feeling pretty down generally.

Any further thoughts on getting a treadmill ?

Saw my sports physician today and said I can go back to pilates as my shoulder and back have been horrendous. He wants me to start using the stepper in the gym again, which is great. Doesn't want me to get bored in the gym.

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2009, 11:07:22 AM »
Definitely stick to whatever works for you with the machines.  The only reason I mentioned the elliptical is because it works so great for me.  I can set the stride to all different lengths and inclines so it doesn't bother my knee.  Sounds like the treadmill is your best bet with your flexion problems.  Hope you can get one soon. 

Yes, the sitting around is torture on the knees isn't it?  I've read a description somewhere on here where people are calling it "movie knee".  Makes sense because when I go to the movies and don't have an aisle seat after 2 hrs I can barely get up and bend.  It's awful. 

I forgot to check your koala pics at work yesterday.  I'll try to remember when I go in today.  For some reason my home computer can't view them. 

What are you sewing and knitting?  Will we see pics when you are done?  Good for you making good use of your down time.

Have a great day Kathy!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
Hi Kathy,

I'm checking in to see how you're doing. Thanks for the emails, the kaola pictures are cute. Hope you and your family are doing well. Take care and hope to talk with you soon.

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

support