Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sam's ACI  (Read 15255 times)

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Sam's ACI
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »
I had my six week checkup yesterday.  The doc said everything looks great.  I'm at 0-120 degrees for ROM and finally off crutches!  I'm still wearing the brace, with extension limited to 40 degrees.  Based on my knee collapsing a couple times as I'm walking around, I think that's ok.  The doc finally explained why he didn't fix the lesions on my femoral chondyle - apparently the risks of it not taking and actually ruining the patellar patch were too great.

I also got great pictures of my knee during the surgery.  Pretty amazing.  If anybody wants to see them, let me know.  Actually seeing the areas that were damaged was pretty neat.

I get to start some more interesting PT now too.  Progressing past the SLR's and isometric exercises to some pool therapy and working on a bike.  I know it's still a long road, but it's sure nice to be moving again (no pun intended!).

Sam
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

dileigh

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 11:14:45 PM »

Always love to see pics!  I remember being excited about actually starting more in PT.   It's so easy to want to do more than you should, but enjoy the ride!

Diana

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »
Here are the "before and after" pics during surgery.  The first pic shows the underside of my patella, with the injury being the big gaping hole on the lower half.  It is my left leg, with my head towards the right of the picture.  The second picture shows the underside of the patella after the OS put in the periosteum flap.   The third picture mainly shows the femoral chondyle with my knee bent.   He didn't repair the gash in the lower part of the chondyle because it would have posed too much of a risk to the patella graft without a very high chance of success, as I also broke off part of the bone in that area.  Fun stuff!

Sam

Edit: I guess they uploaded in the reverse order - so look at the bottom for the first one, etc...

Offline bsonday

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
Thank God for anesthesia.
Removal of loose bodies (cartilage pieces)--7/2/2007
Lots of rehab (quad strengthening) which didn't help much
Biopsy for ACI, 1.5cm x 1.5cm patellar cartilage lesion found--5/7/2008
Patellar ACI with Fulkerson, slight lateral release (to get under the patella)--7/2/2008
Happiness--Early 2010?

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
Oops... I accidentally uploaded those pictures on my flickr account as public.  Apparently, they can be offensive to some people, so my "photostream" is now restricted. Who knew? :)

dileigh

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:28 PM »

I think people can be just too sensitive  :P

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 12:42:34 AM »
Yeah, I never thought my scope pics were that bad, but someone at work got really upset when I had them out on my desk, it turned her stomach.  ::giggle::  But I have no sense of what's appropriate... I used to be a paramedic and it takes a HELL of a lot to bother me!  ;-)
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 02:01:17 PM »
Those pics are awesome!  I'm now using them to scare people at work :)

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
I'm getting a bit frustrated with physical therapy.  I think I've got a pretty good therapist - he works pretty hard to ensure he's doing the protocol correctly, but all I seem to be doing is the same exercises I do at home, plus a little stretching.  I've been having 2 appts/week.  Is that a "normal" amount? 

I'm walking around fairly normally now, I limp if I don't concentrate on not, but some of that is due to having no muscle left in my left leg - it gets tired!  It's actually pretty amazing, I feel better now (9 weeks out) than I did before the surgery.  I've still got a long ways to go - I can't wait to start doing athletic activity again. I think this is the longest I've ever gone without running - watching the Olympics sure doesn't help. ;) 

Sam

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »
Hi Sam,

Just curious, did your doc say anything about a time table to resume running?

I had a patellofemoral ACI in 4/07, and my doc told me he might clear me to run in 10/08.  Running puts a lot of stress on that patellofemorla joint.

It sounds like you are about where I was at 9 weeks.  I was doing PT 2 or 3 days a week, and I recall that my doc said I was limping at my 6 week f/u, even though I didn't think I was.

djs960
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

dileigh

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 11:27:56 PM »
Sam,

I have limited PT visits so I didn't even start until about the 12 week mark.  It is pretty limited until about week 13 and then they can start adding more stuff like weights, mini squats and other exercises.   Patience, patience, this is a very long recovery and you will want to do more long before you possibly can.

I have to keep reminding myself of this.  I am almost 5 months and was barely able to walk a mile for the first time a couple of days ago.  Running isn't anywhere in the picture yet.

Diana

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 03:24:54 AM »
Thanks guys - I know I need to be patient.  Once you can walk again, though, it sure feels like you should be able to do everything else! :)

My doc hasn't given me a good timeline - we're basically following Dr. Minas's protocol, and I seem to remember reading it would be about a year to 18 months, so that sounds about the same.  I'm guessing I won't be running before that.  It gives me something to look forward to, I guess. :)

I think this site should be required reading for anyone having this surgery - everybody here is amazing.  Every time I feel like I'm going through something nobody understands, somebody on here has already done it!

Sam

Offline bsonday

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »
Haha maybe Fisher, you, and I should all take a sweet vacation together in January 2010 when we're better :)
Removal of loose bodies (cartilage pieces)--7/2/2007
Lots of rehab (quad strengthening) which didn't help much
Biopsy for ACI, 1.5cm x 1.5cm patellar cartilage lesion found--5/7/2008
Patellar ACI with Fulkerson, slight lateral release (to get under the patella)--7/2/2008
Happiness--Early 2010?

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »
Lol - we'd be like the 3 Wise Men of knees. 

If my knee gets better I'm gonna do some serious travelling to make up for lost time, and all this arduous rehab.  It's been pretty painful this summer hearing about everyones' fun holidays when I spend most of the time stuck indoors. 

One day my friends, one day.... :) 

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
I started some new exercises in PT (yay!).  Still not really doing much, but doing little stairs and standing on one leg sure beats the heck out of SLR's and quad sets.  And the heel slides...can't forget those.  I'm also doing pool therapy once a week - it's amazing how little I think I work compared to how sore I feel afterwards.  Fun stuff. :)

I've got my 12 week appointment next week, and it's on to stage 3 of rehab, which seems to consist of "keep going slowly, do a little bit more, until about 12 months...".  At least it'll be a change - I'm pretty excited.  My knee actually feels pretty good - still pretty weak.  Whenever I work it too much (longer walks, PT, etc.), it seems to buckle every now and then.  Not bad, and it doesn't hurt at all, but it's enough for me to think "Oh CRAP!" just about every time.  I think it's just from being weak and off balance a little bit - I need to get my quads built back up.

I'll post with the results of my appointment next week.

Sam