Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI results from injury around April 3, 2008  (Read 699 times)

Offline AngelRS815

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI results from injury around April 3, 2008
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:44:36 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am hoping to get some insight on the results of an MRI I had on April 25, 2008.  I first noticed pain in my left knee on April 3, 2008.  By the time I got home around 5PM, I had to get off of my knee due to it hurting so much.  It has basically been the same ever since.  I have had 3 sets of xrays on my left knee since March 2008.  I was told that I do not have any arthritis in the knee.  The MRI was taken without contrast.  I am going to type word for word the results:

HISTORY:  Pain and swelling for 3 weeks (this is on April 25, 2008, and has continued to this day)

TECHNIQUE:  Standard multiplanar imaging sequences were obtained without contrast

FINDINGS:  There is mild narrowing of the medial joint compartment.  There are increased signals in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  The ligaments are maintained.  The lateral meniscus is normal in signal.  There is abnormal signal along the medial tibial plateau and proximal medial tibia and as well as in the interspinous portion of the tibia.  Remaining bones are normal in signal.  A moderate joint effusion is seen but I see no popliteal cyst.

IMPRESSION:  Degeneration in the medial compartment with moderate associated bone bruising in the medial tibial plateau.  A small tear in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus cannot be completely excluded.  There is probably some degree of an MCL strain but no tear.  A moderate joint effusion is seen.

I have had one visit with an orthopedic doctor.  He told me that I had bone bruising maybe from a small fracture.  I was to try and stay off of it as much as possible until the end of June.  If it still bothers me, then I was to make another appointment with him. 

June is almost over and I still have pain NEARLY EVERY MINUTE!!  It hurts to walk, it hurts to sit down with my knee bent or outstretched, and it will hurt when I lay down at night.  There is not that much time each day that it will not hurt.  I may find a position that gives relief for a little bit, but then I will have to re-position. 

Now, some basic facts about me:  I am 35, female, and overweight.  I am sure my weight had something to do with my injury as well as with my recovery.  I have wanted to walk and even join a gym, but felt I had to focus on staying off the knee.  I want to know if there is anything I can expect.....what could be done to give me some relief from this??  I would LOVE to get back to living my life and doing everything that I have loved doing. 

I appreciate any advice!!

Angela :)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: MRI results from injury around April 3, 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:15:40 AM »
Have you made a new appointment yet ? How do you stay off the leg ? Using crutches ?
Have you tried ice or heat for the pain ?
Bone bruises is tricky and take time to heal. You talked about joining a gym..do you have any pool around ? PT in pool or swimming is excellent and is easy on the knee.
Maybe you can't swim with that leg now, but there are other things you can do in a pool.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support