Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »
1 month since the surgery!

Work is going ok.  Find it quite tiring but thankfully only doing 3-day weeks and then some work from home.  The wound is healing well - almost all the scabs have gone, leaving behind a nice neat scar.

Last week I started seeing a local physio, as opposed to traveling all the way into London to see the one who works with the surgeon.  Nothing ground breaking just yet - still doing the raising and bending, with some added gluteal strengthening work now - but looking forward to pool, exercise bike and PWB in the next couple of weeks.

Only concern at the moment is when I go from maximum bend to straight I sometimes get some pain.  The OS said this was ok but the pain reminds me of the pain the injury gave me, so it puts me on edge a bit.  Fingers crossed it's just soft tissue damage and will repair in time.

Fisher

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »
Looks like you'e making good progress Fisher. Don't get worried by pain - I had various pains on and off up to 7 months, and even periods when I thought one of my 4 grafts had failed. I'm now at nearly 12 months and doing really well. Just accept that this is a long process and that you will get strange feelings inside your knee as things develop. As long as you are not being over-aggressive (don't WB too early, no squats, etc), the grafts are actually more resilient than you might think.

David
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »
I'm having a bad day today.

The weekend started really well with a physio session on Friday evening after work (exactly 5 weeks post-op).  We added to my rehab routine some static strengthening exercises for quads and hamstrings, and he said I could go away and try the exercise bike. 

The exercise bike was fine and didn't cause me any discomfort.  It also felt amazing to be doing something active with my right leg again.

However, the static quad exercises were quite painful, and the muscle just above my kneecap has been getting progressively more sore over the last few days, to the point where it really hurts to do any bending or lifting, which is really annoying cos I was doing that stuff with complete freedom before and now it feels like I've regressed 4 weeks. 

It's obviously just a muscle strain from working it too hard, but that's frustrating because I'm now going have to rest it for a couple of days and that'll set me back.  Have dropped the physio an email so will wait to see what he says.  Don't have as much confidence in him now, cos I did exactly what he told me to do and now it's pretty screwed up. 

Anyway, rant over, back to work...

Fisher

dileigh

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 11:18:47 PM »

It's not unusual to have an occasional setback.  Recovery from any surgery is never linear.

Heal up, and I wouldn't worry too much.  I know it's frustrating though.  :P  You're going to find new aches and pains as you start doing more.  Ice, ice, ice and take whatever painkillers you need to get through this.  I'm 4 months out and still have to ice after exercising because it will swell some and hurts.  I just try to make sure the pain isn't carrying over too long.

Diana

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
Hey Fisher. Sounds like abit of a set back but nothing major. I remember about 3 months out i thought to myself....well, its been a while and im going to go work that leg out.....so off i popped to the gym to do my biking. I pushed it harder than i had before and felt great to actually work the leg. BUT.....and there will always be a but, the knee was very very very very sore the next day and 3-4 days to come. So bad that i booked an appointment with Mr. Briggs the OS to make sure things were ok. Turns out everything was fine appart from my over eagerness to get some action going. Moto of the story is, dont push to hard to soon. Like people have said, this is a looooong process and nothing will be clear cut recovery. There will be pains, set backs and sleepness nights of worry. At 5 weeks i was no where near a bike so just thank the lord that your there now.......be careful and dont go crazy.....things are still early in the game.

G

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  After easing back on the exercises over the last couple of days my knee is starting to feel ok again. 

Am hitting the hydrotherapy pool tomorrow night to ease myself back into the weight bearing phase.  Looking forward to it.

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »
6 week update:

Just had my first hydro pool session since the op.  Was amazing to walk around again, albeit in water. 

Physio only wants me to be PWB some of the time (e.g. around the house) for the next week, and it sounds like i won't be walking without crutches for another couple of weeks.  Bit disappointed as it sounds like other people went FWB after 6 weeks, but I guess it's best not to rush these things so I'll just do what I'm told. 

Feels so weird putting weight through my right leg again - sometimes get tingly sensations through the sole of my foot when I do it.  Right, ice time...

dileigh

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »

You're on your way to dancing  ;D ;D ;D   It gets better and frustrating from here..... You get to start doing more and have to remember not to overdo it.

The tingly stuff will fade fast, so will the time before you are FWB.

Diana

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
Don't worry about FWB.  I think I was past 2 months post before I was FWB, and then I was still using a cane for weeks if I was going outside the house.

The weird sensations go away after a while.  Everything moves slowly with this, I'm learning to just go with it... we signed up for a long recovery with this surgery, but it's worth it, I do believe.  :-D

Hang in there!!
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
8 weeks!

Slowly phasing out the crutches; started walking round the house a lot more without them, and then using just one crutch when I'm out and about or at work.  Basically, walking feels fine but I'm not gonna rush anything.

Physio exercises now include some FWB stuff and 30 degree squats.  And doing hydro exercises in the pool twice a week, and exercise bike for 10 minute sessions.

Biggest concern now is that I sometimes get sharp pain at a certain point in the movement from bent to straight.  It is very similar to the original injury pain.  Physio thinks it is just that the treated area is still in early stages of healing and that I shouldn't worry.  However, this is easier said than done when I've had previously unsuccessful microfracture surgery, and obviously the pain didn't ever go away after that.  Desperately hoping this doesn't turn into a groundhog day situation - the recovery has been too much work for it to all be for nothing. 

Fingers crossed.

JF
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:07:30 AM by Fisher201 »

Offline bsonday

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »
Hey there,

Hang in there.  I'm only 6 weeks into my patellar ACI, and I'm probably way more paranoid than you are, but I can assure you that if I wrote my doctor an email with roughly the same words as your post, he would write back with something like, "Don't worry about it.  Everything is fine.  ACI is a slow recovery.  Just don't overdo the rehab and take it easy."  Like you said, easier said than done, but I guess every little bit of reassurance helps a little bit...  :)
Removal of loose bodies (cartilage pieces)--7/2/2007
Lots of rehab (quad strengthening) which didn't help much
Biopsy for ACI, 1.5cm x 1.5cm patellar cartilage lesion found--5/7/2008
Patellar ACI with Fulkerson, slight lateral release (to get under the patella)--7/2/2008
Happiness--Early 2010?

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 09:51:23 PM »
Yes, some  days seem like 2 steps forward, 1 step back... or 3 steps back even.  It does get better, and learn to look at your progress over a week or 2 weeks at a time instead of day-to-day.  You'll have great leaps forward, and then nothing for what seems like forever.  (Or at least I did)

I'm coming up on 6 months out, and things are starting to feel like they're actually approaching normal again.  Still can't do a lot of things, but I don't hurt all the time anymore, and I can start doing normal things like go to the mall.  It does get better, honest.
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
10.5 week update!

Going to see the surgeon tomo for the first time in a while.  Very very keen to see what he thinks about the sharp pain I'm getting in the middle of my knee at certain times when I move my leg from bent to straight when lay down on the bed. 

It concerns me that it means the cracked part of the trochlea isn't healing properly.  I guess the best I can hope for is a timeframe for when the pain might go away if things do go according to plan.

Aside from that, am walking fine and am virtually crutch-free by now.  Cycling to work without any problems, and hitting the pool 2 or 3 times a week to do my hydro exercises.  So all that stuff is going ok. 

Will report back after seeing the OS tomorrow.

Fisher 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:53:19 PM by Fisher201 »

Offline bsonday

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 10:59:48 PM »
Cycling to work?  Nice!  I had patellar ACI, and I don't think I'm allowed to cycle for a few months yet (at 16 or 20 weeks).  Even then, the rule will probably be no hills and only in the lowest gear.  But I did rent a golf cart, and I'm having a blast driving it around.

-Ben
Removal of loose bodies (cartilage pieces)--7/2/2007
Lots of rehab (quad strengthening) which didn't help much
Biopsy for ACI, 1.5cm x 1.5cm patellar cartilage lesion found--5/7/2008
Patellar ACI with Fulkerson, slight lateral release (to get under the patella)--7/2/2008
Happiness--Early 2010?

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »
Just saw the surgeon and feel much happier about things now: 

- He is very pleased with progress and to see that I have full range of movement and no fluid in the knee. 
- Not concerned about the sharp pain because the cartilage will not have grown sufficiently yet to fill in the damaged area, so it will still be catching when there is surface contact.  Won't know if procedure successful until 4 month mark, and cartilage will continue to grow until 2 years post-op.

Am much less stressed now, and the physio who works with the surgeon said I'm fine to get rid of crutches completely, and to drive my car again.  Hurrah!

Seeing my local physio tomorrow so am hoping we can progress to some more interesting daily exercises.

Ben - I'm only cycling about 1.5 miles to work, and it's on the flat.  Much easier than walking though.  Will leave it a while before I attempt any big hills!  Keep ragging that golf cart around- it sounds like fun :)

Fisher