Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery  (Read 12099 times)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 08:22:27 AM »
It feels exactly like a deep dead-leg.  I only feel it when I tense my quads though - the rest of the time it's fine. 

Thanks Charles, that's made me feel a lot better. 

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »
Jesus, the amount of times that i thought i had done something to the patch. Jars, twists, crutches coming from out of me........Those things are tough little buggers, and you would have to do alot to damage them. The worst thing for me during the first 6 months was not physical, but mental. The fact that you are not sure if it has worked will be on your mind always. But dont worry.........take it easy and youll be fine :)

G

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »
Ok, so I've reached Day 10 and seen Fred to have my clips removed.  I am now free from the confines of the leg brace and have been set my exercises for the next 10 days, after which I'm seeing Tim (the surgeon) again to assess my progress. 

Exercises are simple - straight leg raises and knee bending.  The aim is 90 degrees bend in 10 day's time, and the philosophy seems to be "little and often", which is good cos after about 2 SLRs I'm crying out in pain - it's so pathetic! 

Am a little uncertain about the best way to execute the knee bend exercise.  The way Fred showed me was to put a couple of pillows under my knee so that the knee sort of hung over the edge.  However, it seems more straightforward to just lie on the bed/couch and bend my leg upwards as much as I can.  Fred's method seems more difficult but this may be because I'm alternating raise-bend-raise-bend as opposed to doing the two sets separately.  How did you guys do it?

Fisher

dileigh

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:33 PM »
I would do it the way he said, the different ways work different muscle groups and you may not be working the one he wants.

This is where the CPM is easy because it does all the work.  After the CPM, I did exercises more like what you're supposed to be doing, only sitting in a chair and raising and lowering.

The reps will come, just do as much as you can.

Diana

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »
I've emailed the physio for clarification.  It's probably not a big deal because they both involve lying on a bed and bending/raising, so it's just the start and end position that change sllightly with/without pillow(s) under my leg.  In the meantime I'm doing a bit of both.  Will see what he says.

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »
I must have cheated lol........i remember the same day i had the staples out i went to get my hair done. I sat in the chair with my leg bent for about an hour. I was in so much pain it was crazy, however from that day forward bending my leg was just so easy. Probably not the best way to do it, but i had no choice really.

G

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
Well that's one way to do it !  At least now I won't worry so much about over-doing it.

Fred got back to me and told me to do a bit of each (which is good cos that's what I was doing anyway).  With a pillow under the leg works the quads more and without helps keep the full extension of the knee maintained.

Fisher

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
Hey Fisher,
Hope the therapy is going well - I'm a little jealous that you're able to start already! :)  Enjoy your last couple days at home before returning to work!

Sam
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 01:17:18 PM »
Hi Fisher, did you have the op on the NHS?

many thanks

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
No, I don't think you can have ACI done on the NHS.  Thankfully my work provides private medical insurance that covered it.

First day back at work today after two weeks off.  It's not particularly comfortable sitting all day with my leg up on some boxes, but it's nice to be back in the swing of things.  Making the journey to work on crutches was really tiring - normally just a short walk but feels a heck of a lot longer in my current state.   

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »
Hey Fisher -
Congrats on the first day back at work.  I went back on Monday also, but I've decided to only do half days for this week, and spend the other half in the CPM machine. 

I couldn't imagine having to walk to work on crutches - I just have to get in from the parking lot, and I'm ready to sit by the time I get to my desk. :)

I used a rubbermaid tote (about the same level as my chair) and a pillow to put my leg up on.  It seems to work pretty well.

Sam
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 02:11:12 PM »
To be honest I was in agony by the time I got home from my first day back at work, and spent the evening planning how to make the whole thing more bearable.  The following adjustments have really helped:

- Moved to a desk where I could have my leg out at the side (rather than under the desk), and then rested it on a swivel-chair with no arms (rather than boxes of paper).  So much more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. 
- Brought the cryo cuff system into work so I can ice my knee during the day.
- Getting driven to/from the office to alleviate the pain of walking in on crutches.  This is a bit of a hassle for my girlfriend, but hopefully gonna pick up a wheelchair from the Red Cross tomorrow and then it'll be easier to just wheel me in. 

Am pretty happy with the setup now.  Have agreed to go down to 3-day weeks for July so that should also help.

Going into London tomorrow to see the OS and physio again so I'll report back after that.

Fisher

dileigh

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

I'm glad you found some way to make it better at work, that's half the battle I think.  Just keep up with your rehab.

Diana

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »
Day 20:  Good news - went for a check-up with the surgeon and he was very pleased with the degree of bend (at least 90 degrees) and my SLRs, which I'm finding very easy by now.  Wound also healing well.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the op, and then it's only 3 weeks before I can weight bear again, so I'm halfway to being able to walk again.  Onwards and upwards!

dileigh

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »

Keep up the good work!  ;D  How's the work going now that you made changes?

Diana

support