Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery  (Read 12098 times)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:56:59 AM »
Today is the day of the second stage of the ACI to fix a crack in the trochlea of my right knee.  I'm a 25 year old male and the procedure is being done in Spire Bushey Hospital in Watford (UK) under Tim Briggs.  I have a couple of previous threads on this site called "Fisher's MACI harvest on 2/5/2008" and "Fisher's ACI - 2 weeks to go!" which cover the build up to the main event.

I'll use this thread to keep a diary of post-op recovery and rehab, starting when I get back from hospital in a few days. 

Hope everyone's doing well out there in knee-world, speak to you soon.

Fisher

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
Re: Fisher's ACI - The Main Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:48:27 AM »
Hey Fisher,

How did your surgery go?  How are you feeling?  I am anxious to hear how you are doing!  Take care and update us when you can.

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:15 PM »
Hi Fisher......wsa thiking of you on the day. How did it all go? I know its hard to get around especially so soon after surgery. Keep that ice going and update us when you can. I stay up at night worrying you see  :D

G

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »
Hi guys, I'm back safe from hospital and it's all gone ok.  Has been an interesting weekend!

Day one - Friday 13th lived up to its name when I grazed my knee on an open drawer, just before I left home.  The knee surgeon was not impressed but said he could work around it cos he didn't want to waste the cells.  Anyway, the op went well and I had no pain on the first night.

Day two - Bit of a set-back because when we tried to get me out of bed the pain was too much and I passed out. 

Day three - After spending the morning being sick we made real progress in the afternoon and I managed to get around on my crutches and do some stairs etc.  Since then I've felt really good about having some mobility back. 

Day four - Saw the scar for the first time when they changed the dressing - looks like something from a Frankenstein movie!  Came home from hospital and have slept most of the day.  Now watching Heroes with my girlfriend  :).   

Laters

F

dileigh

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »

Glad all went well.  How's the pain management since you've been home?  And what's the rehab like without the CPM, or have you started that yet?

Diana

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
The pain management is ok - am on paracetamol and tramadol for the pain and diclofenac for anti-inflammatory.  Am managing on less than the permitted dose of painkillers so hopefully I'll be able to wean myself off the tramadol over the next couple of days. 

The most painful thing is getting my leg from being in contact with the ground to raising it up onto a foot-stool or the bed (and vice versa).  I guess this is similar to a straight leg raise and it causes sharp pain along the wound.  Other than that the physio exercises I have to do are just some simple circulation exercises like bending my ankles back and forth and clenching my buttocks.  Am waiting for confirmation from Fred The Physio about how much quad tensing and co-contracting I should be doing this week before he removes the leg brace next Monday and starts me on some proper rehab exercises. 

Am also doing plenty of ice using my cryo-cuff system, which is really good. 

dileigh

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:52 PM »
 I used a makeshift strap the first few days to move my leg around, not because of pain, but because I just couldn't lift it by itself.

Good luck at PT next week.

Diana

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
A strap is actually a really good idea.  Anytime I couldn't lift my leg I just got someone to support my ankle while we lifted it - felt like cheating but sometimes it just had to be done!  Getting pretty good at it now so hopefully no more help required.

Managed to get a shower yesterday with the help of a waterproof leg cover, a bath shelf, and a very understanding girlfriend who did her best to keep the laughter to a minimum :).  It took a ridiculous amount of effort and planning but I felt a million times better afterwards so it was definitely worth it.   

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:24:50 AM »
Glad to hear your doing well.

Are you still wearing your brace all the time, or do you take it off when lying down? And when is Fred taking the stitches out? In terms of rehab, after you see Fred, don't expect a vigorous work out... slow and steady wins the race. I remember getting a one-side A4 rehab guide from Tim and thinking, "is that it". The swelling will go down quickly, and life gets so much easier when you're allowed to bend your leg a bit (from about 10 days). You can bathe with the leg immersed from then, which helps with the swelling, too. Enjoy the day-time TV, it beats working ;-) 

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
Hi Charles,

The only time I take the leg brace off is when I'm doing ice treatment with the Cryo-Cuff, which is two or three times a day.  I keep it on when I'm sleeping.

Fred is taking the clips out and the leg brace off next Monday (10 days after the op) so am looking forward to that, although it's quite nice to have the leg brace on at the moment cos it feels protected and I know I can't accidentally bend the knee.

You're right - this is definitely better than being at work!

Fisher

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
In the early part of my recovery, I had this leash-like thing I used to move my bad leg, like when I was moving from the bed to the edge of the bed, then to get my leg on the floor to stand. There was a loop I put my foot in, then it connected to my hand via a stiff strap so I could move the leg.

It was very useful.  They gave it to me at the hospital.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline MegTX

• Forum Faithful
  • With my shield, or on it.
    • Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
Great to hear you're doing so well with the pain management & all.  I had the same knife-like pain anytime I tried to lift my leg for probably the first couple of weeks.  Being the bull-through-it person I am, I just grabbed the lowest strap on my brace (the one by my ankle) and used that like a handle on my leg!!  ;-)

Best of luck with everything, hope your recovery goes smoothly and swiftly!!
Lateral Release, Medial "Reef" - '91
{16 years of grinding, pain, swelling and lots of ice}
'scope 7/07 - .7cm2 tibial plateau microfracture, 2.5cm2 grade4 patellar CP debridement
ACI & Fulkerson TTT 2/08 (patella lesion then 4.5cmx3cm)

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »
Hello Fisher. Sounds like the pain was abit of a problem lol..... ;)
Dont worry. The first 10 days is probably the worst of it all. The fact your leg is fixed at 0 degrees and you cant put any weight or bend it is a real pain.
To give you a heads up on the visit with Fred where he will take the staples out and remove the brace. From then on you will not be allowed to wear the brace. Fred will personally come round and kick your behind, along with some of his old football friends if you wear it again. The excercises you will get are simple striaght leg raises concentrating mainly on tensing the VMO when doing these. That and he will probably say to rub the bottom of your foot along the floor at about 4-5 weeks when getting around on crutches. Not to put any weight on it tho. I think the idea behind this is that the vibrations through the leg will stimulate the cells to prolifirate and fill that defect. Same things is used with bone breaks when they are not healing properly. The other thing you will HAVE to do is get the bend in your leg to 90 degrees. Now i did this quite quickly, by simply hanging my leg over the side of a high chair. The Mrs had my ankle to stop the leg bending past the pain threshold or opening up the wound. But this is a must before the scar tissue develops to much and stops you getting full range of movement back.

Enjoy the TV and the TLC from the GF  ;)

G

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »
D'oh!!!  Earlier I stood up from a chair but lost balance and fell back down into the chair.  Jarred my knee a bit in the process and now it feels a bit weird.  Am hoping it's nothing cos it was actually feeling a little weird this afternoon before this happened, but it's so scary to think that I might have done something to damage the repaired area and jeopardise this whole procedure. 

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 12:10:30 AM »
I remember being worried everytime i moved my knee, until Fred told me that he had seen patients fall down the stairs and still not damage the patch... As for the weird feeling: I'm at 7 months and feel like I could run a marathon, but still get "weird" feelings in my knee (a bit like a deep dead-leg). I'm expecting this up to around 18 months, when the cells reach full maturity. My advice: don't worry unless you feel a sharp pain in your knee (the feeling you have at the minute could be due to the glue setting in the joint - mine was - and will go away once you bend it past 20 degrees or so, though this will feel horrible). Take it easy, milk the fact that everybody has to fetch your dinner, and enjoy the knowledge that you're well on the way to having a 99% functional knee.

Charles

support