Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella Femoral???  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Syn7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Femoral???
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
ok so im not sure what is wrong with me and i will be seaking proper medical advice, but im here too just get a heads up and some knowledge about what im going thru... a friend has Patella Femoral and she says that sounds like what i have...???

ok so im 31 yr old male... i have lead an active life but probably abused my body more than ive helped it... i played basketball in my youth, trained in kung fu and wrestling and i am a B-Boy(breakdancer for those who dunno). in my adult life i still dance but not as aggressively with the acrobatics more just havin fun these days but im also a mixed martial artist specializing in MuayThai and JuiJitsu... i have recently really picked up my game and im running alot more and really trying to pack on muscle mass...

so basically, when i do my quads from a sitting position with weights or elastics(or both) i can really feel that grinding and every 8 reps or so my knee pops kinda like when u crack ur knuckles... it doesnt hurt, YET. my fear is that im doing longterm damage and will feel it the harder i train...  what is this and how can i stop this? im told to do my quads and thats the best way to deal with it but im afraid thats going to cause injury and pain down the road... anyone know what i can do or where i can learn more? my hobbies(mma) and career(electrician & military) pretty much rely on my knees... please help...

i looked for other posts on here that relate but theres soooo much and most post titles dont give a heads up as to whats inside...

any help is much appreciated...
thanx in advance...

SteveP aka Syn7

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Patella Femoral???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:19:34 AM »
the knee popping could be nothing in most cases. Also it can be caused by new muscle mass that is stronger on one side of the knee over the other. Popping can also be caused by cartilage tears or lesions in the cartilage. What you will find out here is if it don't hurt leave it alone. There are great informative patella femoral joint replacement boards on this site. AS far as popping and no pain leave it alone.
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Syn7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
hey thanx for that... makes me feel better... i always get these knee and back injury horror stories and ive always been somewhat worried i'd end up like them... not so much freak accidents which can happen to anyone, its just what i do with my free time and at work are reletively high risk i feel like ive been lucky to feel so great lol... anyways, thanx for the info, i have been reading the site, lots of great stuff... damn, im on cloud 9 compared to alotta cats ive seen in here with multiple surgeries and all that PT...

SteveP.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:56:05 AM »
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard to start.  If there is no pain involved with the grinding and popping, then most likely it is not serious.  It would not hurt to get it checked out.  If you have been as active as you say, the cartilage may be starting to wear out.  Like rotten says, if it does not hurt don't mess with it.  Have it looked at if you are concerned.  If it starts to hurt or swell alot, get to an OS ASAP.  Good luck.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Syn7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »
yeah thanx... when i said it doesnt hurt i should have been more specific... it feels like it may start to hurt sometime in the future... like it gets tight and sometimes just doesnt feel 'normal'... next time im at the docs i'll bring it up... i just hear all these horror stories of people who couldve prevented things had they only had the foresight to take preventetive measures...

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
It's easy to what if yourself to death for sure.  As long as it does not become painful before you see your doc, it should keep.  It will probably get painful down the road, but you don't want to jump the gun either.

If it gets tight it may be some streching would help.  If it's tight because it gets puffy, some ice can help.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support