Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cycling - locking up.  (Read 7736 times)

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
cycling - locking up.
« on: June 05, 2008, 02:32:33 AM »
Hi there
As my arthtiris has progressed i  have found that I can't walk as far and as fast, as I get sore after about 10 minutes, so started to switch to cycling. The problem is now that time has gone on, that while I can cycle away with minmal pain, when i go to get off the bike, my knee(s) seem to have locked/cramped into place and it is impossible to straighten it/them without severe pain. Even putting weight on it/them is very painful. It doesnt happen all the time and swaps knees. It settles after  a period of time, but massaging it and attempting to stretch has no effect and is extremely painful. It seems to be getitng worse: the other day i did five minute on a  recumbent bike at the gym to warm up before a weights session and my knee totally locked up.

The pain is on the inside of the knee but also in the tendons at the back. Sometimes I get swelling at the back of the knee.
Any suggestions? i am running out of activities I can do!

PS its like the bent knee position is something the knee likes to stay in as straightening my leg in my sleep pains me enough to wake me all night every night.
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: cycling - locking up.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 02:50:56 AM »
I'm sorry to hear your having difficulty biking. Have you tried Kayaking? I would also suggest you go to your doctor you may have other issues going on right now. Not that that is what you want to hear. But I would get it checked.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:36:33 AM »
wonder of wonders. I perservered with the cycling and my knees no longer lock up. I still get pain in the night from time to time but cycling seems to have helped. in fact it seems to have helped overall and I have noticed new muscles in my legs! Cycling rocks!
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:03:31 AM »
I'm with you on cycling.  LOVE it!  Glad you're getting stronger and are able to ride.  I'm finally able to ride again...well, at least a little bit...since my knee replacement.  Before surgery, there were a few months I couldn't ride at all.  But prior to that, for a long time, I'd hurt when I started riding, but then work it out to where it was tolerable for the rest of my ride.  BUT after a ride, I wouldn't be able to straighten my leg or bear weight on the right for a good 30 minutes, and sometimes up to an hour.  Of course I had no cartilage in the anterior compartment, so go figure.

I really look forward to long road bike rides again.  At least I can see it on the horizon now.  Biking is awesome. 

Peace~
dig

support